For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

Settings Discussion

scooter Wrote:My votes:

Starts before pick: YES
Ban diplo win: YES
Diplo before contact: NO

Same votes for me please
(sorry for not being more active, as I said elsewhere, have to spend time playing a very boring game, Adobe InDesign)

scooter Wrote:My votes:

Starts before pick: YES
Ban diplo win: YES
Diplo before contact: NO

Already replied in the main thread, but same for me.
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

Also, I keep forgetting to mention this, but I oppose double moves.
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

I approve of the sequential thing by the way.

I guess I'm still a tad skeptical that Sequential turns will keep a decent pace. It seems like some slight double-move headaches will be worth it. But I'll go with it if you guys prefer we swap our vote to that.

It seems we don't need to swap our vote now, rather we'd need to get on the pulpit if we wanted simultaneous turns.

I'm happy with the current status quo, as Simultaneous Turns is an optional prereq for Drama and I would prefer not to research that.

Fine by me. I think it'll work out.

Yeah, I think to save Mist some headaches, it's probably better to go sequential and avoid doublemoves altogether.

On the other issues, I would vote
See screenshots before picks: No
Ban diplo victory, but keep AP: Yes
Diplo before in-game contact: No

And for the locked or unlocked forums question, I would vote B

However, I think that I keep arriving late to the discussion since we're moving so quickly here (which is a great thing!) Also, I don't feel too strongly one way or the other on any of these, so I'm happy with whatever the team decides.

Oh, and speed has been brought up, so I will vote normal, although I haven't seen anyone argue for anything other than normal.

As for starting to choose leaders, maybe we should wait until the issue of forum access is decided. Is anyone who is already on a team reading the other teams' threads? I got that impression when LP questioned/corrected Mist's vote counts on War Elephants (that he had also seen how other teams had voted, although I could be wrong about this). If so, I wouldn't want to start our discussion until we resolve the issue and everyone starts sticking to their own team's threads.

Krill wants to ban these resolutions:

Krill Wrote:TEAM request for a vote

Can we please ban: Declare War (on a non-member), Force Peace (between two members), and Assign City AP resolutions?

How about we say "AP Resolutions: OFF"? They're all broken in MP play.

Cyneheard Wrote:How about we say "AP Resolutions: OFF"? They're all broken in MP play.

I'm fine with the open borders resolution, but I'm not going to be upset if it is banned.