I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Leader & Civ Selection Thread

Ok and Huayna goes to Animal team, which is pretty logical. Very slick move by them to take Khmer first, that really paid off for them.

That means we're up. No need to rush, but it'd be rude to take more than 24 hours.

scooter Wrote:Ok and Huayna goes to Animal team, which is pretty logical. Very slick move by them to take Khmer first, that really paid off for them.

I doubt it made any difference whatsoever to be honest. Krill was never gonna pick HC over Willem and he would always prefer Sumeria over Khmer in my opinion.

As to our pick, let me play catch up on the threads. I read a bit when i'm at work but never get it all or absorb the content fully.

I might be able to run a sim or two later this evening during half-time of the footy. Although I have to say, I reckon 1NW is going to be the best spot, almost irrespective of what we find in the fog to the west.

I'm inclined to agree with the idea that later era UUs are better than the usual rush UUs because of the space we're likely to have. And I gave good scores to maintenancy economic UBs because they will probably be more useful than normal here.

I picked out a list of all the civs I thought were worth considering (Did I miss any?):
HRE (Hunting/Mysticism) Landsknecht + Rathause
English (Mining/Fishing) Redcoat + Stock Exchange
French (Agriculture/Wheel) Musketeer + Salon
Carthage (Mining/Fishing) Numidan Cavalry + Cothon
Egypt (Agriculture/Wheel) War Chariot + Obelisk
Rome (Mining/Fishing) Praetorian + Forum
Byzantium (Wheel/Mysticism) Cataphract + Hippodrome
Ottoman (Agriculture/Wheel) Jannisary + Hammam
Aztec (Hunting/Mysticism) Jaguar + Sacrificial Altar
Mayan (Mining/Mysticism) Holkan + Ball Court
Viking (Hunting/Fishing) Berserker + Trading Post
Zulu (Agriculture/Hunting) Impi + Ikhanda
... and I gave them all a rudimentary score out of 5 for each tech they start with (Wheel=5, Hunting,Mining=4, Agri=3, Fishing=2, Myst=0) and a mark out of 5 for how useful their UU and UB might be in this game. And here is what I got:
Ottoman 3+5+4+4 = 16
Byzantium 5+0+5+4 = 14
Zulu 3+4+3+4 = 14
French 4+5+4+0 = 13
Viking 4+2+4+3 = 13
Egypt 3+5+3+0 = 11
Mayan 4+0+3+4 = 11
HRE 4+0+2+4 = 10
Carthage 4+2+1+3 = 10
Aztec 4+0+1+5 = 10
Rome 4+2+3+0 = 9
English 3+2+3+0 = 8

So the Ottoman look good? Decent starting techs, decent UU (maybe I'm overvaluing the Jannisary?) and decent UB. A special mention to the Vikings because their UU and UB give us very interesting strategic options and maybe I am undervaluing fishing as a start-tech.

I actually think Fishing is a better starting tech than Agriculture here shockingly enough. The only upside to Agriculture is it's more expensive, but I don't see us teching that very quickly unless there just happens to be a corn right there in the fog. Fishing unlocks Pottery just the same as Agriculture, but it comes with the added bonus of allowing a Fish city to be settled very quickly. So I don't completely agree with those values.

Ratings aside, Vikings and France are my favorites right now - especially since it sounds as if there'll be a fair amount of water? If so, it's an excellent choice. Do we know how much water there will be?

Well, if we're settling 1NW, the only benefit we get from Fishing is the ability to research Pottery without Agri

I'll play the sandbox after football (that's in 4 hours, give or take). If you want to pick earlier, I'm happy to support France, Ottomans or Vikings

Is a mysticism start so bad that any civ that has it automatically starts at 75%?

I guess what I'm asking is if the 2 starting techs should really count for 50% of their potential score.

yuris125 Wrote:Well, if we're settling 1NW, the only benefit we get from Fishing is the ability to research Pottery without Agri

I'll play the sandbox after football (that's in 4 hours, give or take). If you want to pick earlier, I'm happy to support France, Ottomans or Vikings

The benefit I mean from Fishing is we are more likely to use it before Agriculture. If we settle 1NW, good chance our second city goes for fish. We know we have Fishing sources nearby, we don't know that about Agriculture.

No need to rush the selection at all. As long as we fit it in the 24 hour window.

ATrain Wrote:Is a mysticism start so bad that any civ that has it automatically starts at 75%?

I guess what I'm asking is if the 2 starting techs should really count for 50% of their potential score.

Not sure honestly. That's what we need to test next. I think Kyan said he's going to try it out. I will too later tonight when I'm finally home if it hasn't been done by then.

It's a fairly rudimentary back-of-the-envelope scoring thing I used just to get things a bit clearer in my head.

Re Mysticism score: In this case I think so but on another start (eg. loads of grain about and we start with Agri and Myst), then starting with Myst is not so bad. I guess the sims will tell.

Re Fishing score: I guess I don't see us settling our first city south so I rate fishing worse than agri because of the combined chance that we may find a nice grain spot for a 2nd city (or even in the fog for our cap) and by the time we found a fish city, 2nd or otherwise, we may have had time to tech fishing cheaply.

Ok. Here goes...

Civs with either a UU or UB that 'add something meaningful':

disclaimer: I am not including a strong early UU as 'useful'. This is based on the logic of no early warfare which I agree with.

Aztecs
Byzantium
Carthage
Dutch
France
HRE
England (weak)
Mali (weak)
Maya
Vikings
Zulu

===========

Key Techs:

Hunting
Agriculture

I think we should almost certainly have one of those two if possible.

Important Techs:

Mining
Wheel
Fishing (IF no agriculture)

Civs that have both key techs:

Persia

Civs that have one key tech and one secondary:

Greece (hunting+fishing)
Germany (hunting+mining)
Russia (hunting+mining)
Mongolia (hunting+wheel)
Viking (hunting+fishing)
Zulu (hunting+mining)
Ethiopia (hunting+mining)
Babylon (agriculture+wheel)
France (agriculture+wheel)
Egypt (agriculture+wheel)
China (agriculture+mining)
Ottoman (agriculture+wheel)

Filtered List showing civs with suitable techs plus desirable unique unit or building

Viking
Zulu
France

Additional civs that have very strong UU or UB that have a key tech:

HRE
Aztec

Final List

Viking (hunting+fishing)
Zulu (hunting+mining)
France (agriculture+wheel)
HRE (hunting+mysticism)
Aztec(hunting+mysticism)

I propose we discuss the merits of the above 5.

Did Zulu have Hunting/Myst a while back? Anyway, it's Agriculture/Hunting for Zulu now.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.