For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Leader & Civ Selection Thread

In this kind of setup i see courthose like a must, after third city maintenace will be big,and because with fin its imposed to run a cottage economy with organizat we can chose another type if we want so.From comodore's psot i undestand some islands and quite a few ports will be on the map so faster lighouses.So for seting up a city usualy org its faster tahn finacial.

mackoti Wrote:In this kind of setup i see courthose like a must, after third city maintenace will be big,and because with fin its imposed to run a cottage economy with organizat we can chose another type if we want so.From comodore's psot i undestand some islands and quite a few ports will be on the map so faster lighouses.So for seting up a city usualy org its faster tahn finacial.

So, on this map type, your belief is that ORG > EXP > FIN > Others ?

This is a bit silly. I was quietly annoyed at the Pirates for waiting until after the incredibly obvious first pick to discuss their choice. And here we are about to do the same lol. smile

I have no problem playing with any other leader really. Solid play and clever diplomacy are what wins games like these, not the relatively small difference between the top 10 or so leaders.

I would be happy with Mehmed, but if we rate Organised that highly, why not just pick Darius and make sure we have good starting techs to avoid falling too far behind in the early game? My first choice is still Pacal though.

Kyan Wrote:So, on this map type, your belief is that ORG > EXP > FIN > Others ?

Are we not expecting to work water tiles? At 2/0/3 (or 4 with Colossus)...

I think we will rush towards astronomy , as i am preparing to go out i say go ahead with pacal.

While there are several good points to taking ORG, I currently see them as situational. Therefore, my first choice is Pacal, followed by Darius and then Mehmed.

I supose everyone happy now.lol

mackoti Wrote:I think we will rush towards astronomy , as i am preparing to go out i say go ahead with pacal.

We do not need to be rushed. We can wait for your return.

Poll said 9 players want pacal,and we are 16 so even other 5 will vote mehmed or whatever still pacal will remain.I know its very hard to fight against what people consider the best and i realy want the game started.

And besides that i didnt played finacial like 4 years so will be nice to play again.And beside that i can say i told you guys about Mehmedlol.

shadyforce Wrote:This is a bit silly. I was quietly annoyed at the Pirates for waiting until after the incredibly obvious first pick to discuss their choice. And here we are about to do the same lol. smile

I do agree with this - let's not get into the habit of delaying suggestions til the last minute - especially with sequential timer smile. Like this:

mackoti Wrote:Poll said 9 players want pacal,and we are 16 so even other 5 will vote mehmed or whatever still pacal will remain.I know its very hard to fight against what people consider the best and i realy want the game started.

You probably would've been more successful in convincing people if you had brought this up yesterday and not today. wink

-------

Time to start thinking about civs. Let's think a bit about starting techs. The starting techs and thoughts about them go like this:

Fishing - well there's fish here, but not sure it's all that great to move for it. Not a great starting tech.
Mysticism - Bad starting tech.
Agriculture - Usually great, however no Agri resource here. That said, with Pacal we want Pottery early-ish, so since Pottery requires Wheel and either Fishing/Agriculture. Agriculture is also expensive, so this is a perk. Also an optional pre-req for AH which we'll want to tech early for pigs.
Wheel - Required for Pottery, so this is good. However, less expensive compared to Agri/Mining.
Hunting - Required for Deer, so a possible good choice.
Mining - We'll want Bronze Working for chopping, so this is a good tech in that way.

Our key techs are Hunting, Bronze Working, Pottery, and Animal Husbandry. So it seems wise to prioritize techs that aid ourselves in those goals. As a result, the ideal techs are in this group in no particular order:

Agriculture
Hunting
Wheel
Mining

I think we can at least say we want two of these four, unless we really want to move for Fish, but I don't think we want to do that. Out of that group, Hunting appears to be most obvious, but it also is cheap. So perhaps choosing 2 of Agri/Wheel/Mining and teching Hunting first is a strong idea (so despite the looks of things, the usual favorite Agr/Min is still good here IMO). Take those three techs and cross-reference them with UUs/UBs we want. For instance, Khmer is Hunting/Mining which is not bad at all.

By the way, super useful tool here: http://www.skinni.de/civ/LeaderPicker.html. It lets you sort by trait and/or tech, and it's the quickest reference to see who has what techs.