For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

Gillette Turn Discussion

The tiles S and SE of the fish will reveal themselves when the borders pop so I assume SW for the warrior and NW-NW for the scout?

Also, Nidaros -> Occam's Razor? smile

Well, this is exciting!

FP until border pop + AH?

We dont pick any tech for first 4 turns.Seven said we will acumulate beakers and use in what we want.

Do we get any advantage from not picking AH now? Do you see a scenario in which we do not research AH first? Is pre-req bonus applied to the accumulated beakers after we pick the tech?

yep.
Perhaps we find a very strong second city wich need agriculture , then we can go agriculture , AH.

Well, as long as we get the pre-req bonus, I'm ok with it. Even though I don't see why we would want to research Agri first for the 2nd city (which won't be founded earlier than T30), when sandboxing showed that we want those pigs as early as possible for the 1st city (which is already founded)

I too am concerned about the pre-req bonus. I was under the impression sand-bagging was only safe for first tier techs. Has someone tested+confirmed we won't lose any beakers?

Scout next I'd think SW-W is probably best - scouting around the cow is useful. SE for the warrior also makes sense.

I wasn't awake at 4, so apologies that this is late, but why didn't we move to settle where the scout is now? It takes two turns to get there, but we would actually get the worker 1 turn earlier according to my quick, possibly wrong math (12th turn v. 13th turn). In exchange, we also get a wet grassland cow instead of a dry hill pig (wash, imho) and pick up an additional riverside grassland in exchange for a plains hill (wash or sight boost, imho, when taking into account the additional production from the city center). We also keep the deer and floodplain and open up a spot for the second or a later city to grab pigs, fish, and silk. Again, sorry to come so late that this arguement is moot, just wondering if I am missing something.
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

Merovech Wrote:I wasn't awake at 4, so apologies that this is late, but why didn't we move to settle where the scout is now? It takes two turns to get there, but we would actually get the worker 1 turn earlier according to my quick, possibly wrong math (12th turn v. 13th turn). In exchange, we also get a wet grassland cow instead of a dry hill pig (wash, imho) and pick up an additional riverside grassland in exchange for a plains hill (wash or sight boost, imho, when taking into account the additional production from the city center). We also keep the deer and floodplain and open up a spot for the second or a later city to grab pigs, fish, and silk. Again, sorry to come so late that this arguement is moot, just wondering if I am missing something.

That cow is actually diagonal from the scout, so it would not be in the BFC of a city on that tile.

Also, so you know, irrigation only matters for Agriculture resources and does not have an effect on AH foods like cow and pigs.