For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

Gillette Turn Discussion

Waroiur going S and scout s-sw its my vote, we can do a circle until animals apear.

I don't understand why we'd go S-SW with the scout. SW-W seems to be pretty obvious - it gives us much more visibility. Can anyone explain why we'd go S-SW?

scooter Wrote:I don't understand why we'd go S-SW with the scout. SW-W seems to be pretty obvious - it gives us much more visibility. Can anyone explain why we'd go S-SW?

Not me. I'm with you.

I'll agree what ever we decide.

Also, can we get the turn player(s) to post a screenshot each turn in a separate "Reported Turns" thread? No discussion allowed, but it'd be a central place for turn reports so we don't have to dig through pages of discussion for the most current screenshots. It'll be nice for new players too so they can catch up on reported turns without having to sift through pages of discussion on scout movement debate wink.

I'm fine with SW-W for the scout, though I prefer NW-NW. I think the warrior should go SW rather than S or SE because most of the tiles S/SE will be revealed by the border pop. But it probably doesn't matter much in the long run, so someone should just make an executive decision based on the preferences so far.

I believe we are up? (We are after Menagerie, right?)

I don't know who is our "official" turn player, or even if we have one right now. lol I am at work, so it can not be me.

I agree with scooter that we should have a thread for turn reports only, no discussion, to make it easier to find the latest screenshots and such.

Scout SW-W and Warrior S sounds good to me. And please, please explain why we shouldn't choose the tech (if we continue not choosing AH)

scooter Wrote:I don't understand why we'd go S-SW with the scout. SW-W seems to be pretty obvious - it gives us much more visibility. Can anyone explain why we'd go S-SW?

Sorry, I meant SW-W. No idea why I typed S-SW.
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

I tested it out. We don't lose the pre-req bonus. But if we don't pick on turn 5, it picks a tech for us (and potentially completes it) at the start of turn 6.