I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Gillette Turn Discussion

I agree with SW-W (scout) and S (warrior). A thread for latest screenshots would be an immense help.

EDIT: I'll whip one up now.

yuris125 Wrote:And please, please explain why we shouldn't choose the tech (if we continue not choosing AH)

The only reason is because you don't have to - the game saves up your beakers during the first 5 turns of not selecting a tech. So if we learn something in the first 4-5 turns that suggests we shouldn't select AH, we would have the flexibility to change without "losing" any beakers. That said, I'd be quite surprised if we teched something other than AH first.

shadyforce Wrote:I tested it out. We don't lose the pre-req bonus. But if we don't pick on turn 5, it picks a tech for us (and potentially completes it) at the start of turn 6.

Thanks shadyforce! I still don't see a good reason not to pick AH now, but it's good to know for sure that our pre-req bonus is safe.

SW-W seems to have more support at the moment. haphazard1, Merovech, yuris125 and Xenon are for it, Scooter and Kyan also supported it (although I'm not sure if they meant it's the better move overall, or just compared to S-SW), and Mackoti also supported a southwest move. Meanwhile, Zalson and I preferred N-NW, and shadyforce supported NW-NW. So, right now it seems to be 7 to 3 for the scout to go southwest.

Thanks for the thread Xenon.

SW-W seems fine to me for the scout. Who is(are) our turn player(s)?

scooter Wrote:The only reason is because you don't have to - the game saves up your beakers during the first 5 turns of not selecting a tech. So if we learn something in the first 4-5 turns that suggests we shouldn't select AH, we would have the flexibility to change without "losing" any beakers. That said, I'd be quite surprised if we teched something other than AH first.

Scooter, when you say "during the first 5 turns of not selecting a tech" is that the first 5 turns of the game, or the first 5 turns you generate beakers (after founding your capital)? Doesn't matter to us in this game, obviously, just curious.

YossarianLives Wrote:Thanks shadyforce! I still don't see a good reason not to pick AH now, but it's good to know for sure that our pre-req bonus is safe.

Is there any possible reason we would not pick AH first? Our capital is founded, no resources in the BFC are going to be revealed within these first five turns. Why not go ahead and choose AH?

haphazard1 Wrote:Scooter, when you say "during the first 5 turns of not selecting a tech" is that the first 5 turns of the game, or the first 5 turns you generate beakers (after founding your capital)? Doesn't matter to us in this game, obviously, just curious.

I'm not actually 100% sure which it is - I'm just reciting the explanation I've seen Seven give, so I'm not quite sure on the specifics. I think it's up through turn 5 and a tech is automatically selected for you on T6 if you don't choose on, but I could be off by a turn.

scooter Wrote:I'm not actually 100% sure which it is - I'm just reciting the explanation I've seen Seven give, so I'm not quite sure on the specifics. I think it's up through turn 5 and a tech is automatically selected for you on T6 if you don't choose on, but I could be off by a turn.

I haven't done a test (might actually do that now, I'm pretty curious), but I think it is "if at the end of [this turn] you would complete a tech if you put all of your accumulated beakers to it, it is selected." Normally this is a really cheap tech, like hunting or mysticism, since they would qualify for this the earliest. I do not know how the computer would determine if multiple techs qualify; most likely, it would pick randomly, but it might be cheapest or some pre-set order.

Edit: So to answer your question, if I am right, then not settling would delay this.

Edit after quick test: So, I just went 20+ turns without settling on a map (normal speed) and it never prompted me to choose a tech. However, it forced me to choose a tech the turn after I settled. That is, I was able to delay choosign only a turn after settling. I am not sure what this means.
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

On the first 5 turns of the game (t0-t4), overflow beakers are permitted to accumulate without a tech selected.

Starting on t5 of the game, if you end turn without a tech selected, the AI will select one for you.

SevenSpirits Wrote:On the first 5 turns of the game (t0-t4), overflow beakers are permitted to accumulate without a tech selected.

Starting on t5 of the game, if you end turn without a tech selected, the AI will select one for you.

Interesting. Do you know why it does that?
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

Merovech Wrote:Interesting. Do you know why it does that?

I don't know, but I assume it's to not punish you for not selecting a tech the first turn you settle, because the interface doesn't tell you to do so, which is because on default settings, tech selection is a start-of-turn unskippable popup which they obviously didn't want coming up in response to a city founding. They probably just did first 5 turns because it's easy to do and protects just about everyone (except people who don't settle for 5+ turns, those wackos).