For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

Gillette Turn Discussion

No strong pref about the scout, but NW-NE was my first thought so I'm happy to go along with that.

I think warrior W is better because W-NW-NW doesn't miss any tiles and reveals more than NW-W-NW or NW-NW-W.

I like warrior W -- reveal another water tile, and he would move NW after that and reveal the same land tiles anyway. Scout NW-NE sounds good.

I was looking at the ivory tile as a possible city site -- would we get a second hammer in the city center? (Can't remember if unimproved ivory adds a hammer, or only after improvement.) Corn, wheat, cows, 4 hills, some riverside tiles...could be a monster. 16 hpt possible at size 6. Still, we may want to split the resources into two cities depending on what we find in the fog.

One suggestion: destinations in civ can be easier explained as keypad numbers. What this means is North is "8" like the Up arrow you would have used to move your unit 1 tile North. 2 is South, 1 is South-West and so on. so this "NW-W-NW or NW-NW-W" could have been represented by "747 or 778" Easier for non- native English speakers and way more "gamer's" and "Civ"I think.

2metraninja Wrote:One suggestion: destinations in civ can be easier explained as keypad numbers. What this means is North is "8" like the Up arrow you would have used to move your unit 1 tile North. 2 is South, 1 is South-West and so on. so this "NW-W-NW or NW-NW-W" could have been represented by "747 or 778" Easier for non- native English speakers and way more "gamer's" and "Civ"I think.

This always takes me 5-10 seconds extra to decode, since I have to look at the numpad which I never use (and in fact on a laptop don't even have), back at the screen, back at the numpad, back at the screen. Feel free to use it but I know for some of us the compass directions are much easier.

Maybe you are native English speaker?

haphazard1 Wrote:I like warrior W -- reveal another water tile, and he would move NW after that and reveal the same land tiles anyway. Scout NW-NE sounds good.

I was looking at the ivory tile as a possible city site -- would we get a second hammer in the city center? (Can't remember if unimproved ivory adds a hammer, or only after improvement.) Corn, wheat, cows, 4 hills, some riverside tiles...could be a monster. 16 hpt possible at size 6. Still, we may want to split the resources into two cities depending on what we find in the fog.

It would be 2h yeah; you don't lose yields and it's 1f2h now, because it's ivory (+1h) on a plains (1h base). However I don't think it's a viable site because we won't have a way to pop the borders. Luckily we can place 2 cities in the area and claim all four resources without needing any culture whatsoever.

2metraninja Wrote:Maybe you are native English speaker?

Yes, in fact I was previously aware of this. lol

I said, I understand it's easier that way for some people, but it's also easier the other way for some people. That's all. smile

Ok yeah west for the warrior. Anyone have any compelling arguments against going NW-NE with the scout?

Compass/Numpad thing - I'm more used to compass directions but I can handle either one. I do get that the numpad is probably easier for non-native speakers, but I find I am more likely to make a mistake giving directions via numpad than I am using letters, so I avoid using it myself. I don't mind if others use it though, I can decipher it easily enough.

smile Maybe you are not used to play simultaneous online civ too (where numpad is useful in some cases).

Anyway, as I said, it is just a suggestion.

What we really need are arrow smileys. smile