I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Gillette Diplomacy Thread: Dossiers, Scheming, and Puppet Strings

scooter Wrote:So 3 days have gone by and nobody noticed this message smile.

Not that it's particularly urgent, just thought I'd note it.

Yeah, I mentioned it a few hours after they sent it, but I forgot to respond after deciding to wait until yesterday for more input. I'll do it within an hour.

Edit: Here's the message I will send soon if there are no other suggestions (like, does anyone here know how to actually pluralize Panoptes?)

Greetings again, Pantropical Panoptei!

Doulbe Edit: Message Sent
That is wonderful. Our official team guess for your Pyramids ETA is "exactly one turn before ours," and we challenge you with a slightly differently styled query: Can you guess you has the most posts in the Team Gillette sub-forum? Hint: It's not regoarrarr.

Merovech

Team Gillette
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

regoarrarr Wrote:Also I suggest that whoever references me at least spells my name right lol

Last I saw you have your own name spelled wrong on gchat so I think that revokes your right to complain about your name being misspelled for a few days at least. :neenernee

scooter Wrote:Last I saw you have your own name spelled wrong on gchat so I think that revokes your right to complain about your name being misspelled for a few days at least. :neenernee

I don't think that I would have my screenname (regoarrarr) on my GChat, so if it's misspelled, it's because YOU re-named me wrong lol

regoarrarr Wrote:I don't think that I would have my screenname (regoarrarr) on my GChat, so if it's misspelled, it's because YOU re-named me wrong lol

I uh... actually yeah you're right. Yeesh, that comment backfired. lol

I didn't realize we had in-game contact with Menagerie. We still have yet to actually communicate with them. I'd highly suggest establishing contact with them. It's going to be really important to pick up on their early wonder plans. I'd suggest being pretty direct with them on that front. Something like "we realize you are Industrious, so in the interest of establishing good relations we'd like to avoid clashing with you on wonders" or something to that effect and just bluntly ask what wonders they're aiming for. Might sound ridiculous, but you'd be surprised how much people open up when you just explicitly ask for what you want.

But yeah, I'd highly suggest we get to sending a message off to them. They are to our northwest:

[Image: t8_menagerie.JPG]

Two messages that need responding:

Trolls Wrote:An excellent answer on many levels smile.

We are going to answer "regoarrarr" for your challenge. Its been almost 16 hours; with his spam powers that's more than enough time to pass scooter. We'll respond with our challenge once we've come up with something suitably clever.

Darrell

Been a few days on this one, though there's not actually anything specific to respond to. Do we even know what direction they're in? Might be good to start figuring that stuff out. We never got a screenshot (that I'm aware of) that showed contact with them. Menagerie's greeting message:

Menagerie Wrote:Greetings, our smooth shaven Southern friends!

They say the hills have eyes, but truly, it is only the fluffy, friendly little animals that see approaching scouts. It was a pleasure to see you recently, if only for a very short time. We trust that everything is going well in your part of the world. The kingdom of the animals lives and believes in peace among all creatures... despite what noise and chaos you may notice as you approach our borders.

Diplomatically Yours,
Herandar
Ambassador of the Menagerie

We know where their border is at least - it's to our northwest. The minimap makes it look like they are further inland than we are, but it's hard to say for sure. They moved their capital though, right?

I can draft suggested messages for these if you'd like. I'd just rather not leave both these teams hanging for too long.

Also, I'm currently the only person getting copies of these messages in my inbox. If you want it forwarded, do let me know. Otherwise you can access it by webmail/POP/IMAP like usual too.

For Menagerie, here's a rough idea. I suck at the "role-play-ish" formalities like they used, but I'd suggest something along these lines:

Gillette Wrote:Menagerie,

We at Gillette are extremely happy to meet you. We're especially eager to introduce you bearded folk to our new line of razors. You obviously could use them. wink

We see that we are neighbors, so we'd very much like to get ourselves on friendly terms. We see no reason for hostilities between our nations, especially because we Vikings quite like animals. Surely some sort of animal for razor trade could be worked out. We'd also be interested in exchanging some intel as well, so that we're both at an advantage dealing with other neighbors. Have you met anyone else yet? We have met the Tropical Trolls team so far, and they appear to be our other neighbor.

Thanks,
<insert name>
Gillette

Just a rough draft. The goals I had in mind:

1) Respond to their goofy role-play fluff in kind to keep the tone light.
2) Figure out if they've established contact with anyone.
3) Set the message up to ask about wonders next time. This time around by volunteering info about our neighbors, I think we can feel a little bit better about asking them for their wonder plans. We can also gauge how "shifty" they are about our question and how likely they are to be straight with us about wonder plans.

Thoughts?

I like it.
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

How can you tell who has how many posts in our whole forum? Or were you just counting up the ones for each thread?

/still trying to win lol

regoarrarr Wrote:How can you tell who has how many posts in our whole forum? Or were you just counting up the ones for each thread?

/still trying to win lol

It's irrelevant. They can't check wink

I suggest we congratulate them on being correct and offer them a tidbit of information as a gift- that we've met menagerie and could potentially facilitate a meet should that interest them.