I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Gillette Diplomacy Thread: Dossiers, Scheming, and Puppet Strings

I think I will change the sentence to "Sadly, I can't even pretend it was someone else's fault, as I misinterpeted a few things and let our gmail account go unchecked." Does this work better?
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

Sounds great. I'll send my draft too.

scooter Wrote:Sounds great. I'll send my draft too.

Awesome, sent. I hope Menagerie is forthcoming with their wonder plans!
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

New email from the Trolls. They sound very cooperative, without anything concrete proposed by either of us, of course.

First, did a couple people try to login to our email account and get rejected? Apparently the suspicious login thing got tripped for someone from the LA area and the login got rejected. I told it that it was me, so hopefully that won't happen again.

Anyways, for context, this was what we sent Trolls:

Gillette Wrote:Hello again!

I would first like to apologize for taking so long to return your message-Sadly, I can't even pretend it was someone else's fault, as I misinterpeted a few things and let our gmail account go unchecked. While this reflects poorly on me, please understand it is not Team Gillette's official policy ot let our valued customers' and partners' emails go unanswered!

Now for your challenge, we believe your capital to be at appproximately (14,-1), if our capital is at (0,0). Our challenge, somewhat uncreatively, is "If you place your capital at the center of a cartesean plane, where do you think our capital is?" It would be interesting to see if our guesses align.

Merovech
Team Gillette

P.S. I posted a notice for regoarrarr letting him know of your dissapointment, but I am not sure if he has read it, since he never posts anything!!! :P

The response we got back:

Trolls Wrote:Hi Merovech,

I didn't feel like counting tiles tonight so I just say that your guess is pretty close.

So how has game started for you? Not sure if we've got our numbers right, but Team Menagerie seems to have been blessed with pretty good starting location.

We think our two teams could cooperate well in this game. Do you?
Regards,
Deputy Darrell - Plako

I'd be mostly curious about inquiring further about the Menagerie starting position.

How would you inquire further?

Here's a rough draft, but I am not sure if I ask with the right amount of subtlety.

Hello Plako of the Floridian Fomoire,

The game has started quite swimmingly for us, or, at least, it has proceeded according to the sandboxes of our clean-shaven Jarls. We believe that cooperation between our peoles can only further the wonders of this new land for both of our empires!

We do have some questions, however: What specifically are you referring to regarding Team Menagerie's starting location? Are the rumors of bountiful lands full of tame animals true?

Good wishes,

Merovech

Team Gillette

Yeah like that, pretty much just ask them straightly. Message looks fine to me. I think promptness is more important than content at this point.

Are we allowed to trade screenshots? I don't think so, right?

I don't think we can until paper, not sure though. I will send the message now.

scooter Wrote:First, did a couple people try to login to our email account and get rejected? Apparently the suspicious login thing got tripped for someone from the LA area and the login got rejected. I told it that it was me, so hopefully that won't happen again.

Yeah that was me, sorry. I tried once and was asked to provide a phone number, and thought maybe it was because I was using a tablet. Then I tried from my work computer and got the same thing. I figured we might have gotten a reply from one of the teams, so I wanted to check.

The message sounds promising. Our response sounds good. If you haven't sent it yet, "people" is missing a "p" in your second sentence.

YossarianLives Wrote:The message sounds promising. Our response sounds good. If you haven't sent it yet, "people" is missing a "p" in your second sentence.

Dang it. Well, thanks for noticing, anyways.