For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

Mirrorland, the fairest map script of them all

(November 9th, 2012, 05:18)zakalwe Wrote: Maybe I'll try to make the inverse of Novice's balance checker; a script that generates balanced but non-mirrored setups. (Possibly an oxymoronic concept.)

That would be the holy grail.
EitB 25 - Perpentach
Occasional mapmaker

(November 9th, 2012, 05:12)SevenSpirits Wrote:
(November 8th, 2012, 23:32)BRickAstley Wrote: So looking through the code, I noticed that the "scattered improvements" and "permutations" options are still commented out. Have you worked on those any, or are those still to be done in the future options?

I haven't worked on them. There just didn't seem to be much interest in this script.

I'm highly interested in this script and would want to play my next game on it.

(November 9th, 2012, 08:30)Mardoc Wrote:
(November 9th, 2012, 05:18)zakalwe Wrote: Maybe I'll try to make the inverse of Novice's balance checker; a script that generates balanced but non-mirrored setups. (Possibly an oxymoronic concept.)

That would be the holy grail.

I intended to pester Seven into rebuilding the map generator (or rather the starting area balance bit) eventually...
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

I use this script all the time in SP.
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

Huh, thanks for the compliments. Well, if it fulfills two out of [I enjoy doing it, other people appreciate it, generates income], that's enough to make it worth doing. smile

I knocked out the Scattered Improvements setting pretty quickly. Download link in the first post points to the updated file. Improvements placed are more likely to be certain improvements than others, because these tend to be the most interesting: cottage, hamlet, mine, windmill, workshop. (Village and town are obviously interesting too, but are perhaps excessively important, so they are rare.) I left out oil wells and water improvements completely, along with roads/railroads which I feel dubious about.

The permutations thing is on my list too, but it will probably take a bit longer.

Speaking of map scripts, here's a map type that I think is pretty cool. I made it using my balancing/editing tool, but it should be easy to implement as a script as well.

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0165.JPG]

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15215428/MapEdi...wordWBSave
I have to run.

I've been doing some work on and off on my first map script. The idea is to create a "balanced continents" script where each continent looks different but has the same quality of terrain. I believe I've solved all the hard parts now, but I have yet to place resources, so it's not quite done yet. Anyway, I figured I might give a preview. So can you tell what these three continents have in common, and guess at how they were constructed?

Answer:
They are all composed of the same set of 3x3 "tiles", rotated and/or flipped, and assembled in different constellations.
If you know what I mean.

That will lead to the different amounts of flood plains we see in those pictures, right?
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

(November 21st, 2012, 07:38)Krill Wrote: That will lead to the different amounts of flood plains we see in those pictures, right?

Not sure if you read my spoiler or not, but there should be the same amount of flood plains on all continents, because
rivers never flow along the edges of 3x3 tiles.
If you know what I mean.

Ah, it wasn't obvious that the rivers didn't flow along the edges of the 3x3 tiles, that would remove that problem form occurring.