I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Mirrorland, the fairest map script of them all

That's pretty cool! Any ideas about how to use this idea for a script where players share a continent?

Looks nice Zak, only problem I see is the uneven lighthouse-lakes situation.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

I don't think the lighthouse-lakes imbalance is going to be nearly as large as the resource position imbalance. Certain resource arrangements are going to lend themselves to a better dotmap than others.

(November 21st, 2012, 16:21)NobleHelium Wrote: I don't think the lighthouse-lakes imbalance is going to be nearly as large as the resource position imbalance. Certain resource arrangements are going to lend themselves to a better dotmap than others.

This. I could potentially fix the lake imbalance too, but I'm not sure it matters.

@Seven. I've got map options to use desert or tundra instead of oceans, but I'm not sure how interesting that is. I think your script is better suited for single landmass games.

I guess you could mirror the contested border areas, and vary the layout closer to home. But you also want to mirror the immediate starting area (at least that's what I'm doing currently). Or maybe NOT mirror the starting area but just try hard to balance it.

You could also combine the 3x3 tile idea with the layouts you're using. Or maybe use 4x4 tiles (it's not hard-coded) so that it's less restrictive with regards to map dimensions.
If you know what I mean.

I'm having trouble with the size and land/water ratio - I'm trying to make something that is 32*32 (to emulate what BRick made in PBEM46)

In the BTS menu I go Single Player -> Custom Game and I get to this page:

Then I set up the settings as you see or with tiny or duel sized maps, but it keeps coming out 40*40. It gets less with fewer players, but I want a 4-player game. Am I doing something wrong?

The way the script works, the map dimensions have to depend on the number of players. So if you choose 4 players you'll always get the same sized map, regardless of the map size you choose. The map size will still affect # of cities maintenance, tech costs, national wonders requirements, etc.
I have to run.

(December 12th, 2012, 20:01)Old Harry Wrote: I'm having trouble with the size and land/water ratio - I'm trying to make something that is 32*32 (to emulate what BRick made in PBEM46)

I think Brick manually edited the script to get that map. Here's my post giving him some minimal advice on how to do this.

Great, thanks Seven - that worked like a dream.

Hi all, very late to Civ IV in general, but I've really been enjoying it recently. In fact I beat my first monarch game last week! smile
I was looking for some fun map scripts to play with and this (and Torusland) seemed really interesting. I tried the download link on each, and neither worked, both just say the file cannot be found on Dropbox, and it may have been moved or made private.
I guess I'm wondering (if anyone still uses either script) if the files have been moved/made private, or if they are just gone.
Any help would be much appreciated!

(April 3rd, 2017, 02:58)IsamutheShrub Wrote: Hi all, very late to Civ IV in general, but I've really been enjoying it recently. In fact I beat my first monarch game last week! smile
I was looking for some fun map scripts to play with and this (and Torusland) seemed really interesting. I tried the download link on each, and neither worked, both just say the file cannot be found on Dropbox, and it may have been moved or made private.
I guess I'm wondering (if anyone still uses either script) if the files have been moved/made private, or if they are just gone.
Any help would be much appreciated!

Dropbox killed all their public links last month, that's why they don't work. I've zipped my two copies of the map and attached them to this post. Dunno though if they are the final versions of each.

Attached Files
.zip   PublicMaps.zip (Size: 20.45 KB / Downloads: 9)
Travelling on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.