Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

Assemble! Taking stock of Gillette

Just to be clear, I don't want to completely take over diplo. I'll still need lots of advice. wink
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

I'm still here, I guess--I just post when I feel like I have something to say, I don't have the time to do much more than that unfortunately frown

Well, if haphazard can take over as primary turn player, maybe Scooter can be primary diplomat and back-up turnplayer? I think two windows per day to play the turn is plenty. If every team can average a turn every 8-10 hours, that is less than two days per turn, which may seem on the slower side, but I think it's a good pace for a demo-game. And it would be great if SevenSpirits and Mackoti can jump back in for strategic guidance!

I would be glad to serve as primary turn-player, if Scooter is OK with that. Of course, this means I (and we!) need to figure out what the turn-player is supposed to be doing next. crazyeye

I was helping a good friend with his weadding but i am 100% with this game and i can do Turnplaying, strategy even diplomacy ( you remeber my discution with plako)

Hey Seven dont be so pesimisthic perhaps will be beter and if started thsi game lets do our share .

So yeah Captain Mackoti its on the deck.wink

Aroung, but being a tourist I leave turnplaying to more senior members. I will keep myself informed and will open my mouth time to time when I think I have something almost useful to express.

I'm still around too.

Awesome Mackoti, really glad to have you back smile. And Seven, even if all you want to do is lead discussion on general strategy, that's still a huge help.

I'll keep posting stuff I think is helpful, willing to try my hand at anything that's needed, but I might not be great...

I haven't logged into pitboss before either so something more diplo-related might be best. I could handle our future contacts with TEAM perhaps? :mad: Or just help merovech generally?

Right now the micro of getting the settlers out seems most important. Is that all under control? Does the turnplayer (whoever that will be) feel like he's got enough of a plan to go on? And when presented with a surprise in-game are enough of us around to respond - it feels like there have been some "wasn't sure what to do so I ... " moments, when more input from the rest of us could have helped or reduced the stress.

I'm back.