Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

Micro Planning

Current Plan

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?...DFFb2hhNUE

T35: A completes road on city2 tile. B completes road on floodplains. 0% tech this turn.
T36: A onto deer, road over next two turns. B SE onto grass, put 1t into a cottage. Back to 100% tech.
T37: B moves next to cow; settler moves towards city site. Occam's Razor starts a worker, working improved tiles.
T38: Settle city; B started deer (1/4)

T39: A, B pasture cow (2/4)
T40: A, B pasture cow (4/4) COMPLETE.
T41: A, B camp deer (3/4)
T42: Camp completed by B. A moves to gold. Occam finishes a worker © with 6 overflow. BW in, at reduced slider.
T43: C chop roaded plains hill forest. Occam starts a granary. A starts mining gold and will road it afterwards. B moves to cow and puts down half a road.
T44: B joins C and completes chop. Granary complete.
T45+: Occam's razor grows to 6 on grass cottages built by B and C, while building a warrior. Gold road finishes at just the right moment, keeping Occam happy. At size 6 we'll start a settler.

(stuff below this line was the original post)
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to make a new thread for this. We have a couple options for our workers:

[Image: t33_workers.JPG]

Ok. First off, we have the worker on the floodplains. It has 1 turn remaining on a cottage built and 2 turns remaining on a road (we sunk 1 turn into road, it costs 3 on a floodplains). Settler is due in 4 turns. By my read then, we should be able to finish the cottage AND finish the road in time for the settler to move. We do have a road on the plains forest hill even though it's difficult to see. That means the settler would get 1S of the cows in one move.

Now for the northern warrior. Bunch of options here, and I'd like some input from those who are better than I am at this stuff. Few options I see:

1) Move 1N and road the city plant spot. This would mean the city could be settled the turn after the settler is able to move, rather than 2 turns after. It's trading 3 workers turns for starting this city 1 turn faster.

2) Start prechopping - potentially the forest 1S of the gold. This would mean we could settle the city and immediately get a chop into an EXP granary. That combined with the deer is going to mean a granary at size 1 which would be pretty nice.

3) Start mining/chopping the plains forest hill 1W of the deer in Occam's Razor. It's already roaded, so the worker can move onto that tile straight from here and immediately get to work. I'm guessing we would not actually use the mine though? So chop would probably be better. A look inside Occam's Razor:

[Image: t33_cap.JPG]

Ok, I believe our T33 has not yet happened, which would mean the settler completes EoT36, and we start accumulating food on T37 (assuming we don't go straight to a settler/worker). A strong food surplus of 8 with 25F to go means Occam grows on T40, so we need some sort of tile improvement by T40 if we intend to grow. Grass cottage is best. It costs, what, 4 turns on normal? Our floodplains worker should be able to achieve that.

Any thoughts from more micro-inclined folks?

We don't ha BW yet so our only real option is pre-roading the city site, at least from what I can tell from the discussion in the other thread.

Thanks for creating this thread, Scooter. Definitely a good thing to have.

YossarianLives Wrote:We don't ha BW yet so our only real option is pre-roading the city site, at least from what I can tell from the discussion in the other thread.

Agh, completely slipped my mind. It's been a long couple days.

Yes, I made the same mistake. duh Outside our culture all he can do is build roads, and moving back to the capital and then back north to the new city means nothing useful can be done back home. frown

One possibility would be roading the ivory for the future, then moving back to the gold site and roading. Two turns for the ivory road, one to move into the forest, then two more roading. The settler takes three more turns to build, one to move, and could then wait until after the worker finished to move and settle. So I think this would work and it gives us something for later.

It would be nice if we could instead road the deer or gold, but due to hills/forest that would require an extra turn thus delaying the start of improving the cows (or deer?) after the city is settled.

Back home, I favor mining the plains hill SE of the capital after the flood plain cottage and road are done. This would give us a good hammer tile plus a riverside commerce, greatly improving our flexibility at the capital which is currently mostly food-oriented. The other obvious choice would be the grass cottage already mentioned for more commerce, although that leaves us dependent on slavery for anything that requires actual hammers rather than food-hammers.

Do we want to grow the capital, or do we want to start another settler? We have some prime land to grab -- horses, ivory, and maybe (if BW reveals some) copper. If we do grow, what do we build? Another warrior I guess, as once we grow again we will need a garrison to stay happy (at least until the gold is hooked up). Or do we want to start putting hammers into a granary for future whipping efficiency?

Someone can create please a sandbox with actual situation?
Yosarian if your skill on that are like on CD departmet please help us.

Well, I'm no expert in either department, but I can definitely give it a shot. Just don't expect pretty rivers or anything.

I have more time for this on the weekend, so you might need to give me a few days, but I'll get on this as soon as I can.

Great idea for a thread Scooter - can I suggest having the first post as the current plan and the rest as the debate over what comes next, just so it's easy to see what's happening at a glance?

If we can only road I'd road the city site, then road or mine the gold to get commerce up quicker. But Mack is right - sandbox would help. Where can I find the map settings? Might have time to put one together tonight or tomorrow night.

Ok I've been giving this some thought, and I'm going to throw out this tenative micro plan. Worker A is named Aristotle and is currently at the new city. Worker B I just took the liberty of naming Bacon after Francis Bacon. That worker is on the floodplains. I'm referring to them here as A and B. Here goes:

Quote:T34: just played. (A)ristotle Roaded on City2 (1/2) and (B)acon roaded on floodplain (2/3). Settler with 3->2 turns to go (meaning it was 3, dropped to 2 upon hitting enter).
T35: A completes road on city2 tile. B completes road on floodplains. Settler with 2->1 turn to go.
T36: A onto gold. B NW-NW-N onto flatland plains (1E of cow). settler completes EoT.
T37: settler moves N-NW-NW-W onto grassland. A road gold (1/2). B move 1N and road grassland (1/2). Cancel after roading.
T38: Settler moves NW-N and settles our city. Start Granary (0/60h) on deer (total yield: 1/4 => 1/8). A completes gold road (2/2). B move onto cow and begin pasture (1/4).
T39: Granary 8/60h, growth 1/22f. B pastures (2/4). A moves 1SE onto grassland and finishes road (2/2) that B started. work deer again for 1/8 total yield.
T40: Granary 16/60h, growth 2/22f. B pastures (3/4), A moves 1SW and pastures (4/4) and COMPLETES. swap to cow.
T41: depending on BW, you have the option to move straight from cow to gold and mine and/or move directly onto forest and chop.

[Image: t34_microplannign.JPG]

One caveat - there's a good chance we should actually work the unimproved cow instead of the unimproved deer from the start. Ideally at this point BW is done and we can immediately chop the forest 1S of the city to complete the granary. If working the cow speeds BW, then good. Also, we again don't NEED more than 20h for the chop to put us in range, so past that, the food is the priority to grow up to size 2. So on further thought, my hunch is that the cow is better than the deer even when unimproved. I'll leave it for now, but I do think working the cow is probably better here than my above plan.

Also, I'd like to make the case to go straight onto another settler for a quickish third city that I have a sign up for. That city is really perfect for us as it'll come with usable cow/deer from the start. We can easily give it Occam's deer while Occam grows riverside cottages, we can give it second city's cow while that city works deer/gold, and once we're ready to give them back we can have the sheep improved and maybe lay more cottages down. It's so perfect, and I think we need to get it quickly as it's such a quick producer in our empire - so much faster than other sites. The downside is we'll be deciding that without copper knowledge. We have a NAP with our eastern neighbor, but not with Menagerie yet. However, if we can lock things down diplomatically, it could be quite a strong gambit to play.

(I do realize the road SE of the gold is not immediately necessary, however that worker has nothing else useful to do (road somewhere basically) and this road CAN be useful if we rush our that city I have marked)

I like the city plan if yossarian doesn't think anyone is building a rush army.

BTW the gold is on desert so 3t to road and 5th to mine.

I had a look.

1) In game I saw we had the plains forest hill selected; I take it this did not affect the game as no turns have passed since the last screenshot, which shows the cottage being worked. Anyway I put it back on the cottage.

2) Looks like we will get BW eot42. Currently 3-4 opponents know BW and this is giving us +3b/t towards it off our 14b base. So that's good, but it's included in what you can see on-screen in the latest pic from the game, which predicts BW eot42. The next city will cost $3 in maintenance and provide 4c of benefit so it is a net increase, but this is not enough to accelerate BW a turn.

3) Because of 2), I think finishing the granary at size 2 is likely to work better. then we can grow quickly to 3 on the cow (obviously first improved) + deer. It's worth considering not building a granary at all though. Maybe staying at size 3 and producing 8h + 3f every turn into 13fh of worker builds is best for now, and in this case the granary is ineffective.

4) We should save gold for exactly one turn BEFORE founding the new city. It's slightly more efficient than saving gold after founding the city. We only want to save gold one turn or BW will be delayed.

All that said, here is a potential micro plan:

T35: A completes road on city2 tile. B completes road on floodplains. 0% tech this turn.
T36: A onto deer, road over next two turns. B SE onto grass, put 1t into a cottage. Back to 100% tech.
T37: B moves next to cow; settler moves towards city site. Occam's Razor starts a worker, working improved tiles.
T38: Settle city; work cow. B starts pasture.
T39: A joins pasture effort.
T40: Pasture completed by B. A starts camp.
T41: B joins camp effort.
T42: Camp completed by B. A moves to gold. Occam finishes a worker © with 6 overflow. BW in, at reduced slider.
T43: C chop roaded plains hill forest. Occam starts a granary. A starts mining gold and will road it afterwards. B moves to cow and puts down half a road.
T44: B joins C and completes chop. Granary complete.

T45+: Occam's razor grows to 6 on grass cottages built by B and C, while building a warrior. Gold road finishes at just the right moment, keeping Occam happy. At size 6 we'll start a settler.