Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

Micro Planning

I like SevenSpirits' plan to grow the capital further before building a settler for a third city. Getting some more cottages going at the capital will boost our research rate over time, and we will have BW and know if copper is available when deciding on the third city location.

In Scooter's plan I am not sure I understand the proposed sheep city site. Why not 1E, or even 1SE? The deer from the capital will be much easier to loan to the new city than gold's cow, which it will need to work the gold mine and still grow. 1E would provide more hills for a potential hammer city; 1SE gets fewer hills but still some and would potentially be able to grow cottages for the capital if needed/desired.

But I really think we need the third city to be settled for a military resource, unless the map maker has been kind enough to give us copper at the capital or at gold.

At a glance, Seven's plan seems better. I'll look more closely tonight when I should be able to get some time.

Old Harry Wrote:I like the city plan if yossarian doesn't think anyone is building a rush army.

Sorry guys, I reported in for C&D duty, but haven't really done anything since then. I'll take a look tonight after work and get us all cught up.

Seven - I think improving and working a couple of turns on gold gets BW a turn earlier. Does the quicker expansion with deer trump that?

Bronze Working comes in before the city grows to size 2 anyway. So, to accelerate BW, we would have to stagnate the city working the gold at size 1. That's not worth it - we aren't actually gaining any turns working the gold, net, since each turn working it stagnating is one turn later we will be able to work it after we do grow.

Getting BW earlier is also unnecessary. The only conceivable use for getting it earlier is to chop a granary in city2, but again we are growing way too early for that to be useful. Stagnating growth to get BW earlier, and chopping a granary in the meantime, seems worse than just growing several turns faster. (It would take at least 14 workers turns = 7 turns to do the pasture, mine, and chop, and finish the gold road, and then 3 more turns of growing to size 2 after this in order to get the full granary benefit, which means best case we are growing the city 10 turns after founding it instead of 6 turns after. Definitely not worth it.

Given this some thought. One issue I see is Occam has enough food surplus to grow in 4T once the settler is complete. This means it will hit sz4 and sz5 before the workers get back to complete more cottages, so we'll either work unimproved grassland or we'll slow growth on the plains forest hill. I don't love either option, which was the sole reason I threw out the idea of going straight onto another settler. It does feel to me like growing Occam which has no improved tiles to grow onto while slowing city2 on a worker which has several good tiles to grow onto just feels... awkward.

It may still be best though. I just wonder if reversing it and squeaking the worker out of Occam while letting City2 grow may be more efficient, and then it would pop out a worker at Occam which would be ready to cottage away.

I'm a bit lost at which possibilities you are discussing. Could you elaborate?

SevenSpirits Wrote:I'm a bit lost at which possibilities you are discussing. Could you elaborate?

Yeah. You're suggesting growing Occam's Razor out to sz6 after this settler completes in 2T. It will grow 4T after settler completion. It only has 3 tile improvements, and it cannot get a 4th one in time for the size 4 growth.

City2 on the other hand will have cow, deer, and gold to grow on, and workers will already be in the area if we want to lay down an additional cottage or something. It seems backwards to stunt City2's growth on a worker while Occam builds warriors and grows onto unimproved tiles. Instead we could build Worker3 out of Occam after the settler which would give us more time to lay down additional cottage(s) at Occam, while City2 can grow and get into the granary immediately. This would also result in the gold being workable sooner, which is a significant commerce boost.

Basically, City2 will be at a lower size than its available improvements while Occam will be at a higher size than its available improvements if we build a worker straight out of the gate at City2 and grow Occam. I'm not sure what the downside is here of going worker next at Occam and granary first at City2, and if you see one I'm all ears.

I think you somehow missed the worker build. [Edit: Or mis-saw it as happening in city2?] I definitely don't think we should grow it further before completing the granary.

Looks like we're in complete agreement. lol High-five.