For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

Micro Planning

lol Yeah, somehow I read that 3rd worker build as coming from City2 and not Occam. I swear I read that post like 5 times too and walked through it ingame and everything and it all made sense except for why that worker was coming out of City2 and not Occam. Well, it wasn't. smile

It probably didn't help that I didn't specify the city2 build (it doesn't have any effect until we start growing to size four, which could be a while). I am thinking granary then warrior.

With barbarians off and diplo on, we should be securing a NAP with M3 and going paper-thin on military. So might as well build the granary, basically.

FYI, I have the beginnings of a shared micro spreadsheet here. Still work to be done and I've added a tab for workers but not done much on it, but this should make turn playing really easy and help us know what to plan for. Check it out:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?...DFFb2hhNUE

Just a bump to say I've spent more time on this and cleaned it up a bit. This should be easy to follow if anyone plays a turn or two when I'm out. City micro is on sheet 1, worker micro is on sheet 2. There are obviously thing still to be determined (what BoG builds on T47 for instance)... Anyone who is bored who wants to check my work too - that would be great. Much harder to proofread yourself than somebody else.

I'll edit the link into the first post.

I popped in to take a look at the spreadsheet, but saw two other anonymous users also checking it out. I think it's safe to assume that whoever else is looking at it can do a better proof-reading job than me, so I'll leave them at it!

Oh, I've left the tab open for awhile and I'm doing other stuff, so one of those is me.

Here's what I have thus far, open to other ideas. Note that T45 is just finished, therefore I have the turn # underlind at the top. So the stuff in that column is what just happened. First, city plan:

[Image: t45_city_micro.bmp]

I need to freeze more columns, sorry. Top is obviously Occam, bottom is Blades of Glory. One thing missing it city sizes on BoG - sorry, just noticed that. Anyways, the "/24" box is sz2, so we're pushing for 3 now to work the improved gold. We hit sz3 and finish a warrior AND overflow nicely on T49, which combined with a chop means we can 3T a worker out of there. I'm thinking this is a good call. That'll be useful for the new city. However, I'm afraid it's going to finish "too soon" and not have much to do while we wait for the settler, see above. Settler starts from Occam on T50. Now, here's the matching worker moves:

[Image: t45_workers.bmp]

First, the top worker will finish the gold and then be available to provide a chop T51, which you saw on Blades of Glory above. Occam can get all those cottages down and still be able to chop that tile 1S of Occam. We could go for a double-chop on the settler here. However, you can see the time it'll take for that settler to come out. Either way we're going to need to either use a 2nd chop OR revolt to slavery IMO. Otherwise that 4th worker at Blades of Glory is not very useful at all.

Very open to other suggestions. One alternative is to actually push a settler out of Blades of Glory at sz3 if we're not married to Occam build settler @ sz6. Spreadsheet is still here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?...hNUE#gid=0

Ok, we just played T46. Here's a suggested extension to our micro planning.

Starting Info on T50 Wrote:A: worker available 1E of deer tile @ Occam, t51
C: worker available 1E of deer tile @ Occam, t50
Occam: starts settler t50
Foodhammers/turn @ Occam: 11
F1: forest 1S of Occam
F2: forest 1W of Occam (both are reachable in 1T from cottage location)

Option 1: 2 chops, 0 whips Wrote:50: 0/100, c move onto F1
51: 11/100, c chop (1/3), a move onto F2
52: 22/100, c cho (2/3), a chop (1/3)
53: 33/100, c chop (3/3), a chop (2/3), +20h from chop
54: 64/100, a chop (3/3) +20h from chop
55: 95/100, settler complete EoT.
Result: BoG finishes 4th worker EoT52. slavery revolt t56, city settled t57

Option 2: 1 chop, triple whip Wrote:50: c move onto F1. revolt to slavery
51: 0/100, c chop f1(1/3). a move onto f1
52: 11/100, c chop (2/3), a chop (3/3), +20h from chop
53: 42/100, triple whip available now with minimal overflow
Result: BoG finishes 4th worker EoT53, city settled T55

Option 3: two variations of whip + chop Wrote:50: c move onto F1. revolt to slavery
51: 0/100, c chop f1(1/3). a move onto f2
52: 11/100, c chop f1(2/3), a chop f2(1/3)
53: 22/100, c chop f1(3/3), a chop f2(2/3), +20h from chop
54: 53/100, a chop f3(3/3), +20h from chop (or hold on fchop and triple whip with good overflow)
55: 84/100, single whip available
Result: BoG finishes 4th worker EoT53, city settled T57

Here's a couple options. I'm partial to Option 2 at the moment. Option 3 looks really crappy, I just tried it and figured I'd report it. I think #1 is too slow, I want that city settled before T57, especially since we'll have 4 workers with not enough to do on T52. Option 2 looks pretty slick, and Occam should regrow pretty quickly with good food + granary. Any thoughts? Basically right now we have worker B doing his thing at BoG, while A/C are at Occam. D will come out of BoG as shown in this plan. It's only really useful for the new city, so I'd suggest that Option 2 looks really nice with that in mind. I do like that it lets us keep one of the forests.

I'd encourage you guys to try your own variations if you have time, it's pretty simple. Just follow my starting point on T50 and keep in mind the slavery revolt decision does alter when BoG finishes the worker but does not affect worker turns. Would also like to hear some feedback on this.

Out of those, I think I like B the best.
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

Agreed. Though it does not necessarily mean there isn't a better way to do this.