I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Poll: Map K1 (ss shown) or K5 (Krill's new one)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
K1
0%
0 0%
K5
81.25%
13 81.25%
Either
18.75%
3 18.75%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Pitboss 8

(October 26th, 2012, 14:35)SevenSpirits Wrote: That's mostly a setting thing (Islands mixed in). I think B&S will give you good results with some minor oversight.

Plus, just look at how well dooteroy did in PB5, and how fun it was for everyone, and that was with the whole lack of luxuries. Personally I wouldn't even want to prevent people from spawning in non-isolated islands, as long as they aren't also screwed for resources.

Yeah, even if we just have the person editing scatter in some extra resources for the Australia starters then that island gets a lot better.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

I like randomness and no double moving.

Also, are we set with 11 player/teams here, or are we waiting to see if a 12th shows up? I think that needs to be decided before someone rolls the map.

I think we're going ahead with 11 at this point, this thread's been open a few days now. I'm also good with aiming for B&S with similar guidelines to PB5, but sprinkle in some luxuries for whoever is on the islands.

Is sunrise actually able to host? He hasn't really been around lately and hasn't even taken down the PB5 game yet even though it's been a week now.

(October 26th, 2012, 13:39)scooter Wrote: NTT and CTON AI Diplo are pretty much locked in at this point.

Just for clarification, I understand those abbreviations as

CTON: Cannot talk or negotiate -> if I get an offer I have to take it or leave it, no re-offering with slight differences (like 100 instead of 200 gold)

AI Diplo: No talking while doing diplo -> if I get an offer I can decline and re-offer it with differences till both parties find an agreeable trade. No messages have to be send (also not via city names etc.)

edit: Forgot my question: Which of those 2 shall it be? I assumed AI Diplo, but clarification would be great smile

Yeah, 11 ought to be fine. Hosting and confirming other stuff can be sorted shortly; Mardoc, would you mind rolling us a pile of leaders/civs for us to excitedly speculate about?
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

(October 26th, 2012, 15:19)Serdoa Wrote:
(October 26th, 2012, 13:39)scooter Wrote: NTT and CTON AI Diplo are pretty much locked in at this point.

CTON: Cannot talk or negotiate -> if I get an offer I have to take it or leave it, no re-offering with slight differences (like 100 instead of 200 gold)

AI Diplo: No talking while doing diplo -> if I get an offer I can decline and re-offer it with differences till both parties find an agreeable trade. No messages have to be send (also not via city names etc.)

Ah, well I guess we'd be doing AI diplo then, like in PB5.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

(October 26th, 2012, 15:19)Serdoa Wrote:

edit: Forgot my question: Which of those 2 shall it be? I assumed AI Diplo, but clarification would be great smile

Oh sorry, I guess that is confusing. Usually when we say CTON AI Diplo we just mean you cannot use words in any way. Negotiating via trade window is fine - re-offering with slight differences as you said. It just means you negotiate with players the way you'd negotiate with an AI essentially. No using words in any way (email/typed in window/city naming/etc).

As for map scripts: I don't care at all, but I'd really like to request that whoever rolls the maps checks the starting positions insofar as that they should be playable. I consider the PB7-start of Rome (basically no resources, surrounded by jungle) as not playable. I'm with plako that there should not be more edits as absolutely necessary but I'm also with scooter that rather there should be some changes done than having starts which are lost before the game started.

(Btw: Thats also a reason I'd love to have Krill look over the map as well, as I am certain that he is able to gauge the general playability of all starts relatively quickly and accurately).

(October 26th, 2012, 15:10)pindicator Wrote: Yeah, even if we just have the person editing scatter in some extra resources for the Australia starters then that island gets a lot better.

If that's me, I'd really really like some guidance on what you mean by 'some' and exactly how to define Australia starters. If you're going to go with something like 'use your best judgment', then you'll want someone with better judgment than me. If you're going with 'make sure they have at least 3 different happy resources', that's much easier to oblige.

Also, there was some mention of rerolling until there's a good map? What exactly did you conclude there?

Finally, what map settings do you guys want, exactly?

Basically I'm looking for a recipe or procedure, that I can make your map without involving any judgment calls at all, just civ and some random numbers. Serdoa's latest request is something that's probably too much for me, you'll want to find an actual mapmaker for that sort of thing.

Edit: I'm not willing to partially balance a map. I'll roll them for you, sure, or roll them with a short list of defined changes, but if you want balance, find someone else.
EitB 25 - Perpentach
Occasional mapmaker

ok, after rolling half a dozen big and small maps and checking them out via world builder (I used the rb mod just in case that effects anything) I'm going to change my mind. Big and small looks like fun. I think "continent size" setting is important here, however.
1. with "massive continents" you tend to get one big eurasia continent, and either an australia continent or several indonesia type continents.
2. with "normal size" continents you get 2 (sometimes even 3) that are roughly equal size
3. with snaky continents you get the same as normal size, except it tends to look like an archipelago with the islands just connected via small land bridges.

I used "islands" over "tiny islands" every time, and always "islands mixed in" rather than island region separate. Also, every time the islands seemed to be reachable pre-astronomy, so I don't think that would be a problem.
Personally I like the "normal size" continents the best, with normal islands and islands mixed in. Note that B&S doesnt always deprive the smaller lands of happy, however it does make each happy on one continent only. So the best map I rolled had 3 separate continents, 2 roughly equal size and a 3rd australia continent, plus some islands - but australia had silk and no other happies, the 2nd largest only had other calneder resources, while the N/S America type continent had gold and wine.

So I think B&S could work on these settings - but with some resource balancing. Just add silver to the continent that doesnt have gold (or gems if there happen to be 3 continents) - fur to balance gems, and make sure the calender happies are roughly equal. maybe add a whale or two if they aren't. maybe make sure ivory is on all continents?
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.