I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Poll: Map K1 (ss shown) or K5 (Krill's new one)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
K1
0%
0 0%
K5
81.25%
13 81.25%
Either
18.75%
3 18.75%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Pitboss 8

(October 26th, 2012, 16:43)pindicator Wrote: -each start should have at least 2 tiles able to be improved to 4f in the BFC

I used "able to be improved to 4f with ancient era techs" in PB5, which may be obvious but should not be overlooked. I recommend bumping it up a tiny bit higher, from two 4f-capable tiles to say a 5f one and a 4f one.

For luxuries, you should honestly just fix the map generation. Here's a B&S script with a small modification that just turns off the stupid "luxes can only be on a single continent" rule.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1116194/misc%20...r_Luxes.py

(October 26th, 2012, 17:57)SevenSpirits Wrote: For luxuries, you should honestly just fix the map generation. Here's a B&S script with a small modification that just turns off the stupid "luxes can only be on a single continent" rule.

Awesome. Testing right now, but on first generation this works perfectly. Thanks. smile

Bigger talked about this a little bit, but I'm finding the ideal setting for B&S is:

-Size: Huge
-Continent type: Normal
-Islands: normal (not tiny), mixed in
-Sea level: low

The low sea level is something I like on a lot of scripts - tends to make for slightly more land and slightly more unpredictable shorelines.

(October 26th, 2012, 18:03)scooter Wrote:
(October 26th, 2012, 17:57)SevenSpirits Wrote: For luxuries, you should honestly just fix the map generation. Here's a B&S script with a small modification that just turns off the stupid "luxes can only be on a single continent" rule.

Awesome. Testing right now, but on first generation this works perfectly. Thanks. smile

Bigger talked about this a little bit, but I'm finding the ideal setting for B&S is:

-Size: Huge
-Continent type: Normal
-Islands: normal (not tiny), mixed in
-Sea level: low

The low sea level is something I like on a lot of scripts - tends to make for slightly more land and slightly more unpredictable shorelines.

thats the exact settings I mentioned, other than the sea level lol

I didn't use custom games to roll my maps, so sea level wasn't an option.
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

(October 26th, 2012, 16:34)scooter Wrote: Yes, completely random civs/leaders. That'll give us all stuff to think about while we sort the map out.

Commodore - Gilgamesh of the Khmer
Azza - Napoleon of Rome
Pindicooter - Huayna Capac of Zulu
Merohoc - Augustus of Arabia
Ichabod and the Brick - Genghis Khan of the Vikings
Plako if RBmod - Louis XIV of the Aztec
Xenu - Churchill of Portugal
Catcheetah - Suryavarman of France
Lewger - Qin Shi Huang of the Netherlands
N-core - Mansa Musa of India
Serdoa - De Gaulle of Maya

Quote:I think more is being asked of Mardoc than he is willing/able to do. We're pretty clearly wanting something a little more regulated than PB5 was for instance.

My real problem is that I don't really know what is being asked smile. Although Pin's suggestion is quite clear, I could do that if it's all you're looking for. If what you're looking for is someone to blame when it's over...less interested.

Assuming Huge size, btw.
EitB 25 - Perpentach
Occasional mapmaker

And I'll go ahead and make a map for discussion using Seven's script
EitB 25 - Perpentach
Occasional mapmaker

The one thing we need to confirm now is what the exact balancing instructions are. Pin's suggestion:

Quote:-1 of horse or copper within 6 tiles* of start
-2 different kinds of luxuries within 6 tiles of start
(Separate instruction for Mardoc: If you need to add luxuries, try to make them different kinds. Types being forge-enhanced (gold, silver, gems); market enhanced (whale, fur, silk, ivory); other (wines, incense, sugar, spices, dyes)
-each start should have at least 2 tiles able to be improved to 4f in the BFC

My suggested revision:

Quote:-1 of horse, copper, or iron within 6 tiles of start
-2 different kinds of luxuries within 6 tiles of start
(Separate instruction for Mardoc: If you need to add luxuries, try to make them different kinds. Types being forge-enhanced (gold, silver, gems); market enhanced (whale, fur, silk, ivory); other (wines, incense, sugar, spices, dyes)
-each start should have at least 1 tile able to be improved to 5f and 1 tile able to be improved to 4f with ancient techs in the BFC (2 5f tiles and 0 4f tiles is of course ok)

This revision just makes there be a slight chance you have to tech IW to get a military strat tech (this is how we did it in PB5) and takes Seven's suggestion of slightly bumping the food limit.

Umm are you sure about huge?
Feels like it would hit rush/early war pretty bad, don’t you think there was enough land in PB5. (As a biased lurker, the early wars in PB5 were one of the things that made it great.) (Apart from Plako OC)
Combined with low sea levels - that's a lot of room, especially considering how long it took to get stuff settleed in PB5.
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

I'm good with scooter's revision.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

PB5 was Huge I'm pretty certain.

Also... why not use the mirrorland rule (for strategy resources)? Just one of copper/horse that is twice as close to you as another player.
That means no-one is guaranteed anything, and knows exploration might be necessary. (rather then just a blanket "explore within 6 tiles and know you've got a strat")
Just my 2c
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.