I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Poll: How should I play this one?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Peaceful like a lamb
12.20%
5 12.20%
Gruff but defensive, like a billy goat
9.76%
4 9.76%
Aggressive, like Lambert, the Sheepish Lion post-therapy
19.51%
8 19.51%
A horrific mad hurricane of violent destruction, like a toddler
58.54%
24 58.54%
Total 41 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

[spoilers] Commodore: Worse than Toku, it's Giggles of Siam!

(July 12th, 2013, 22:39)Thoth Wrote: Before you go showing pics of "how you should have developed a city".....how about you show a piccy of your massively unsexy 16hpt base tundra craphole Heroic Epic city.?
I can't someone burned it. Thank all the Taoist heavens.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

Hah, your reduction of LongJohnSilver into a stub of a size4 city that had its only good tiles cannibalized felt like sufficient proof to me that it totally sucked. McDonalds was definitely much better. I refuse to call it by its heathen name. Plus, does Western Heights have Sweet Tea for $1?! Didn't think so.

A Gentle Farewell
Here's the last of the shots; I had a story percolating for the filler-tastic newest city of Yowling Pits, but here's what we have:
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0491.JPG]

Generica:

First, of course, is our lovely core. Second best shrine in the world, excellent capital, and good solid economy cities. The Parthenon is in the northwest, the Great Library in the capital...both are about to go obsolete, but they were both workhorses for me. This was a lush start, peak-choked but the valleys were wet and resource-laden. I love this land.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot8.JPG]

Hawk's Ridge, my epic Moai spot. It's been a beautiful city, from the early trade route boost to even now being one of the best cities in the Generic Kingdom. Also seen are those whales; never worked them, but a lifesaver early on for the Sailing happy boost. I love having this nearby island, and the spare horses were great too.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot7.JPG]

Moving east as our armies did so long ago when the game was young and thrilling, here it the Long Salt Lake. Hidden Valley was a great third city, one that I fully expected to have to backstop to. Willowbrooke north secured iron and just kept working it; I think fully 20% of my units until the last pushes came from that city. Riverside Manor on the eastern shore was settled for a forest to chop into the ToA: The wonder gave me a shrine and a merchant, and could yield one more at least. Utterly worthless city otherwise. wink
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot9.JPG]

Old Zululand, with the underbelly a bit scarred. Glad I took it in time for steam power, needed that coal! In an interesting contrast, the core here is full of useful tiles, but most of the good ones aren't great like the mountainous Old Generic core. Still, this place was a powerhouse, sadly ill-used. Very expensive at first; costs took 50+ turns to get under control. Still, an amazing capture and some good land. Western Heights truly was my second capital by the end, even owning an academy.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot10.JPG]

The Serdonan front. Stones was a great strong city I never grew tall enough; also, it's the world's best source of pet prairie dogs. It has been whipped, drafted, and starved hard over the centuries, all to hold the eastern front from all comers.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot11.JPG]

Tiny little Isle of Sins, Callum's. It's an IC-TR settle, and a naval base...otherwise, pretty much worthless. Seen some of the most intense naval action in any game ever around those waters, though.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot2.JPG]

The Peninsula. It looks good now, but this place was a jungle hell back in the day. The barbarian Ligures settled what is now the Celestial Mount, and that might city was almost purely responsible for the rest. Not a game-winningly great land, but this was a definitely valuable adjunct of the kingdom, Tao of Battles almost a third capital.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot6.JPG]

Moving north, the tiny, thorny little rock where Azza once mined copper was my bastion and crumple zone against the Dutch. The culture battle was a lost cause, alas, so the place was a rump for the rest of the game.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot5.JPG]

Astonishingly valuable, these four cities were my pride and joy in the laterly days of the game. Big, resourceful, and productive they were churning out a rifle and a frigate every turn almost, not to mention a decent amount of commerce. They were very expensive before courthouses, however...still, if I could have a "fourth core" this would be it.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot4.JPG]

Distant Forlorn Hopes; naked against Plako's whim, nonetheless a great city. Islands like this are much more fun than the Tiny Islands little nubbins; the city was a production powerhouse and a fine forward base.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot1.JPG]

Last, we have Tao of Sorrows, only remaining city on the South Pacific after Slowcheetah's day of thunder and smoke. It's the best of them, however, looking to keep growing and hammering out. All the others were chaff and bait for the Prophet Quest; this city at the same latitude as the capital was the Jewel of the West. And so it remains.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot3.JPG]

Turn: 253
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

What a journey! Farewell, Generica.

Quote:Hopefully there's a couple more of these in the thread.

I'll spoil it. Yup.

The Zulu got my first ever post on RB--I'm sure you can understand why--but your thread was right up alongside theirs in terms of entertainment value, Commodore. Getting to watch both sides of your early skirmishes and then the exodus gave me several laugh out loud moments.

I have no idea how you find the time to provide all the stories, but each one was a gem. Thanks!

Maybe you'll get round to answering this, but do you think there was a particular moment at which the game swung decisively in Plako's favor, and away from you? The decision to attack the Zulus in India? Or earlier?

(July 14th, 2013, 01:56)ShengWuLien Wrote: The Zulu got my first ever post on RB--I'm sure you can understand why--but your thread was right up alongside theirs in terms of entertainment value, Commodore. Getting to watch both sides of your early skirmishes and then the exodus gave me several laugh out loud moments.

I have no idea how you find the time to provide all the stories, but each one was a gem. Thanks!

Maybe you'll get round to answering this, but do you think there was a particular moment at which the game swung decisively in Plako's favor, and away from you? The decision to attack the Zulus in India? Or earlier?

Commodore will undoubtedly agree...

(April 27th, 2013, 15:23)Commodore Wrote: *Hallelujah chorus* 4830 beakers
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG]

...and *Hallelujah chorus* 2100 gold
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG]

Finished! Finally! smile

Great read, and seriously thank you for being understanding for the moments when this little tyke was was the turn player*

[Image: qu4w0ZL.jpg]

Some things that stuck out to me...

* We seemed to bounce back and forth early on between kumbaya and kill! kill! kill! But neither of us seemed to have the kumbaya going at the same time. Funny to see how we both were blaming each other as the "instigators" by the time of the Exile.

* Scooter has some kind of sixth sense about knowing when an attack was coming. If not for him I think I would have been trying to take over slowcheetah when your boats were on their way. He pulled off the feat again by stuffing just enough into Domino's to prevent you from taking it.

* When you almost burned Sid's, that was luck. I was sleepy that turn and didn't move some key units in. Worked out all right, though smile

-----

What if the war had gone on and people hadn't gotten despondent? I was thinking that your last invasion was going to wipe us out. I had near 20 catapults, but I don't think that would have been enough. Worse, I was woefully lacking in units to actually kill with. It would have been easier if I didn't have literally every city on frigate/caravel duty and spending nearly every coin on upgrading caravels to frigates.

I think it would have been a bloody advance, but you would have taken us that time.

*I hear she's had a few posts under another moniker lately
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

pindicator Wrote:* We seemed to bounce back and forth early on between kumbaya and kill! kill! kill! But neither of us seemed to have the kumbaya going at the same time. Funny to see how we both were blaming each other as the "instigators" by the time of the Exile.

lol Any posts that I made indicating that I thought you guys were the aggressors was made purely in jest. lol

I'm well aware of who started the fight. wink

I do have to wonder how things would have played out if Commodore had been sensible and kept the Warrior/Chariot parked on Pink Dot Hill. We'd have had a fully fortified C1 warrior with a second warrior as backup plus the chariot. Chops were being lined up for Archer builds plus the reinforcements already enroute. Pro Walls whipped at size 2 and that sucker isn't going to be cheap to take pre Construction.

But we'll never know. smile
fnord