For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

Poll: How should I play this one?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Peaceful like a lamb
12.20%
5 12.20%
Gruff but defensive, like a billy goat
9.76%
4 9.76%
Aggressive, like Lambert, the Sheepish Lion post-therapy
19.51%
8 19.51%
A horrific mad hurricane of violent destruction, like a toddler
58.54%
24 58.54%
Total 41 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

[spoilers] Commodore: Worse than Toku, it's Giggles of Siam!

Huh, looks like DaveV unpacked the results for FFH, which IIRC might be the same. Map would be meh, as would low gold. High gold is also meh but nicer, and I think healing in't possible. So, looks like the odds of getting a nice scout or warrior result would be in the high twenties, with XP another fine result.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

(October 30th, 2012, 14:49)Commodore Wrote: Two good ones, guys, I've added them to the list. I think I'm also going with the whole "makes no sense" aspect of those neighborhood names. Thus, Golden Meadows will be a tundra site, Woodview will be clear-cut...for the capital, I favor "Lakeside Trace" Lakeside Terrace tongue

I kind of like Lakeside Gardens...but then we'd have to put the HG somewhere else.

For a desert site: Verdant Acres

Quote:Does anyone have the relevant code for the hut results here? Popping, say, Bronze Working would be best in life, but I am given to understand that border-popped huts give no techs, and neither do huts popped pre-settling. So, gotcha there. But a scout would be awesome.

I don't have the code, but border pops *can* pop techs. But you do need to already have a city (the hut pop appears to process before the game realizes you do actually have a city if it's the first city built) to get a tech.

Xp for woody 2, a scout, a warrior would all be top notch results. Gold will come in handy with events on. Most of the events in BTS are bad, but a lot of them can be made slightly less bad with some cash on hand.
A map will probably be of useless ocean or one of the poles. wink
fnord

(October 30th, 2012, 09:09)Commodore Wrote: I'll just say, in the absence of anything else extremely compelling, Math is going to be our default beeline. Currency is huge, Construction is huge, and if we do have stone, the Hanging Gardens are nice (slightly nicer for us, actually, given the aqueduct is slightly less useless).

If we have the commerce to get to BW/Myst/Poly/Priesthood/Wheel/Pottery and we can make the micro work, I'd love to steal the Oracle from the Ind boys. smile Colossus tends to be very good on B&S maps and we have a coastal capital with lots of forests.

Heck, even if we don't have the beakers to get to Pottery in time for us to have a reasonable shot, a super early Monarchy sling let's us stack all kinds of whip anger in high food cities.

Gardens with stone and enough cities to make it worthwhile, sure if we can pull it off.

Which I think will pretty much apply to any plans at this point....we can't even see our full fat cross yet. lol

Quote:Stone makes me think, by the way...one thing that was key in my maintaining relevance in PB5 despite the grinding Hundred Turn's War was the Great Wall->Great Spy play. I'd like to repeat that if at all possible. Given we're not very likely to chase an early religious path, there ought to be a neighbor with a nice 3k EP worth of techs for us to steal very early.

TBH, I hate the way active spying works in BTS. I'll not deny it's effectiveness, it's just that I hate the way it's implemented. I just don't find it any fun to use.

To add something other than "I just don't like the active espionage system"....even though an early spy bomb can generate a lot of beakers in stolen tech, it does require an initial investment of beakers into Alphabet (for access to spies) and hammers spent on spies. The opportunity cost is an Academy and 40g per spy (assuming we build 40h worth of wealth instead of a spy) plus possibly teching Alphabet earlier than we would otherwise want to.

The Academy could come later as our second GP (generated somewhere other than the GW city), but until we want to tech Construction or Monotheism, we don't actually *need* Masonry. Quarries are solid improvements but they are worker turn intensive. Those beakers (into Alphabet) and worker turns (into Quarries and roads on the Quarries) could be invested elsewhere. And delaying the initial Academy has a beaker cost as well.

Stealing techs is a great way to stay competitive when you are behind.

Let's not get behind, then we don't need to steal techs. :D

We have some early game advantages that will help our expansion if we have land to expand into. If we don't then Krillmod makes it a bit easier to bulb towards Astronomy thanks to the increased number of pre-reqs for Paper. (Note that our original start was freaking awesome for an early bulb run towards Astro).
fnord

I see the game is up. twirl

So....

how badly are we screwed? lol
fnord

Sorry, played earlier, but it's been an insanely busy day at work thus far. Password is Basium.

(October 31st, 2012, 09:21)Thoth Wrote: I see the game is up. twirl

So....

how badly are we screwed? lol

Well, let's see. Popped the hut, and found we have a second crab, which is nice, and got...a scout! jive
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0032.JPG]

Sweet, okay. So I moved the second scout NW, and I found un-snowy trees...and wet corn! jivejive
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0029.JPG]

Well, moving for the whales would lose the corn, so we'll settle and be able to net the whales once third-ring borders pop. That's workable. Settle and...what was that about the Oracle? jivejivejive
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0031.JPG]

We are so not going to find ivory around. But we've got an otherwise un-screwed start here.

Nice start smile What do you plan to do with research, I imagine Agri Fishing and BW are all priorities?

(October 31st, 2012, 10:31)yuris125 Wrote: Nice start smile What do you plan to do with research, I imagine Agri Fishing and BW are all priorities?

Thanks Yuri, I'm pretty happy about it. Agriculture is a given, riverside corn is beautiful, and then BW is a must to improve...anything else. Once there, we'll probably stop and evaluate. With marble and all this riverside cottage land, Oracling Monarchy sounds very nice, but we need those crabs online to really shoot upward. We'll see where copper shows up, if it does, and that will inform a lot of what we do.

(October 31st, 2012, 10:43)Commodore Wrote: Thanks Yuri, I'm pretty happy about it.

Yeah after you put your if-then tree up a couple of days ago I checked and knew you'd be "rejoicing" lol Good luck!

(October 31st, 2012, 10:48)regoarrarr Wrote: Yeah after you put your if-then tree up a couple of days ago I checked and knew you'd be "rejoicing" lol Good luck!

Thanks! Yeah, in the end, it's still a pretty decent start. But that scout was the best possible result, so now I might whine if I can't keep it, alas. Obviously, though, I'm a bit biased on the restart, so I'll not poke into the tech thread about it anymore. If someone popped a map, it would obviously be painful to carefully rebuild the revealed tiles in WB. Like I said, about a five minute task, which is forever compared to, say, looking at the text file to see if anyone has contact. mischief

Sigh. So, got the scout, which is good, but I also now have 70 gold, which must be someone else's hut result.