Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] BRick goes for a diplo win with Genghis's Vikings

Looked around the game. Here are some thoughts. Sorry if I appear a bit critical

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0689.JPG]

There is a bunch of unimproved tiles you're working. I understand the plains forest over the farm in Blackstone, but why not give the farm to the capital? Working the farm over the grassland tile S of the capital is strictly better. Also, Blackstone really needs that hill mined, so that you work the mine instead of the unimproved forest. Not sure what's the plan for the Workers NE of the capital, but I would send them to mine that hill

Blue Pants just built a Workboat (is it for the Whales?), and I set it to a Worker. Feel free to change, my reasoning was that it was going to grow into unhappiness, and another Worker would have things to do

The capital is building a Galley, I understand it's to transfer the Settler to the island site? It will be built a little too early, which is probably ok. However, I see The Great Wall after the Galley in the queue - is it for failgold or a real build? I don't think building it right now is a good idea, the capital needs a Library yesterday

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0690.JPG]

Barb Axes are still incoming, I believe you have the force to deal with them, but not without losses, one of them is unwounded, and neither our Axes nor Chariots have good odds on him

In Terrapin region, I understand why you're going to improve the gold first, but I think the cow also needs to be improved asap. Also, 2 unprotected Workers on Xenu's border without a peace treaty? That's... ballsy. Note that Xenu's power jumped in the last a few turns

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0691.JPG]

Finally, I understand you want to expand and have a Settler on the move and another in production, but I'm worried about the economy. At the current rate, Maths will be done in about 15 turns (9 turns of gold saving and 6 turns of research). Then Currency will take the same. It's way too long, and will take even longer if you continue expansion

It may sound crazy, but I would consider switching to Alphabet. Research builds are less efficient than Wealth, but they still work. I don't think we can get to Currency in reasonable time without help, which Research builds would provide. There's also a chance to sign OB and get international trade routes

Alternatively, consider researching HBR and sending Keshiks to get gold from Xenu and Serdoa. But Maths -> Currency seems to be too slow a path at this point

(January 30th, 2013, 14:23)yuris125 Wrote: Looked around the game. Here are some thoughts. Sorry if I appear a bit critical

No no be critical, I can always use second opinions.

Quote:There is a bunch of unimproved tiles you're working. I understand the plains forest over the farm in Blackstone, but why not give the farm to the capital? Working the farm over the grassland tile S of the capital is strictly better. Also, Blackstone really needs that hill mined, so that you work the mine instead of the unimproved forest. Not sure what's the plan for the Workers NE of the capital, but I would send them to mine that hill

I haven't been closely watching tile assignments, but that switch sounds good. I'll also send the workers up there, extra hammers will be nice. I was just going to send a road east for unit movement later, but that's not necessary.

Quote:Blue Pants just built a Workboat (is it for the Whales?), and I set it to a Worker. Feel free to change, my reasoning was that it was going to grow into unhappiness, and another Worker would have things to do

WTF? For some reason it keeps trying to build a work boat, and I keep switching off and deleting that from the queue, or so I thought. The whales are already hooked up, so there's no purpose for it now to my knowledge. banghead

Quote:The capital is building a Galley, I understand it's to transfer the Settler to the island site? It will be built a little too early, which is probably ok. However, I see The Great Wall after the Galley in the queue - is it for failgold or a real build? I don't think building it right now is a good idea, the capital needs a Library yesterday

That's what the galley was for, and the Great Wall was an accident, leaving it in queue for the failgold.

Quote:Barb Axes are still incoming, I believe you have the force to deal with them, but not without losses, one of them is unwounded, and neither our Axes nor Chariots have good odds on him

Yeah, plan was to have them attack either my axes or chariots next turn, and then do cleanup after they injure themselves.

Quote:In Terrapin region, I understand why you're going to improve the gold first, but I think the cow also needs to be improved asap. Also, 2 unprotected Workers on Xenu's border without a peace treaty? That's... ballsy. Note that Xenu's power jumped in the last a few turns

Yeah, I just saw the power jump last turn. I want to offer Xenu something like a fish for fish trade to see if he wants to keep peaceful intentions or not, so if not I can make sure to consolidate my military at the border again. I guess in the meantime, I might need to retreat those workers back and get cows, since my military down there is sparse to cover them due to Barb problems.

Quote:Finally, I understand you want to expand and have a Settler on the move and another in production, but I'm worried about the economy. At the current rate, Maths will be done in about 15 turns (9 turns of gold saving and 6 turns of research). Then Currency will take the same. It's way too long, and will take even longer if you continue expansion

It may sound crazy, but I would consider switching to Alphabet. Research builds are less efficient than Wealth, but they still work. I don't think we can get to Currency in reasonable time without help, which Research builds would provide. There's also a chance to sign OB and get international trade routes

Alternatively, consider researching HBR and sending Keshiks to get gold from Xenu and Serdoa. But Maths -> Currency seems to be too slow a path at this point

All of that makes sense, if you think Alphabet first will lead to faster econ total, then I'm okay with going that route instead.

Keep in mind, I'm Ganghis of Vikings,so no keshiks, just HA. I do already have HBR though, so those can be made whenever. I just haven't yet cause there's been other things I wanted to get first.

oh smoke, I saw Genghis's pretty face, and thought nice, Keshiks smile

I would just move the Axeman out of Terrapin to cover the Workers. Xenu also has unprotected Workers on the border, maybe he isn't going to attack for now. But I'm too paranoid to leave 2 unprotected Workers on the same tile on the border with a recent enemy. Also if you build a road on the gold before the mine, next turn the Axe will be able to move onto the hill 3S1E of Terrapin to get some scouting, and return to keep protecting the Workers. Terrapin isn't going to work the gold mine for now anyway, so delaying the mine by a turn should be ok

The barb Axes are positioned to attack Old Black Bear next turn, and your Axe can't get in the city in time. I would take a 30% shot at them with your Axe, then clean up with the wounded Chariots. I think if you leave Archer + 3 Chariots in the city and let the barbs attack, you will lose more

Alphabet research is something I'm not sure about, it feels like our problem is slow research rate rather than bad economic position due to overexpansion. We get 45 bpt at 100% research, it feels low for 250BC - my benchmark is that it should be at least 100bpt by 1AD. Getting Alphabet is faster, but if we go this way, we need to commit to building Research in most cities afterwards - and I'm not sure we can afford that. Maybe just prioritise building Libraries everywhere, and continue the Math -> Currency path. Math is much more useful than Alphabet... Your call, I'm on the fence about this

We obviously need to pop a gold via event at every one of the cities, to boost GNP

Since we are vikings, I would love to have Zerks as well. Unfortunately, I don't think our economy can handle that right now.

Also, did you happen to check the Demos? You don't have to post a picture here (I'm sure it would cause Krill and Sullla and other lurkers to have heart attacks), but maybe our Money isn't so so terribly behind the rest of the pack?

I did check the demos, didn't study them in details, but there's not much to see, we're at best 7th or 8th in everything

Turns played. Barb axes taken out at loss of 1 axe, Not too terribly shabby. Workers moved to mine at Blackstone next turn. Xenu only has 2 archers and a sword in blue fish, and one archer in black fish. He also just settled to out west next to Serdoa, so hopefully he's fighting him. Terrapin set to axeman for counter-power, Old Black Bear to a stable for future HA pump if needed, both those aren't felt too strongly about and can change. Settler moving to site of old barb city to ensure we have a foothold in lands to the west, then we can stop expanding for now. Accidentally declared on Merohoc while Galley moving around, offered peace, so hopefully nothing douchey there.

Haha, nice. That might come across as a threat of some sort though.

Also, since I am only looking in this thread for PB8 what are the restrictions on my posting. I'm pretty new here so I don't know exactly what is and isn't okay for these games.

(January 31st, 2013, 03:31)Fylix Wrote: Haha, nice. That might come across as a threat of some sort though.

Also, since I am only looking in this thread for PB8 what are the restrictions on my posting. I'm pretty new here so I don't know exactly what is and isn't okay for these games.

If this is the only PB8 thread that you're looking at, you're a dedicated lurker and can post/say whatever you want - just remember it's Brick's name on the thread wink.
Blog | EitB | PF2 | PBEM 37 | PBEM 45G | RBDG1

So, I usually have Google chat open during the day, and I recently added Xenu so we could communicate about turn splits so no double-moving happened during that war. We chat every so often now, but nothing about the game. In fact, since we can't talk about the game, we've been making up some "Mad Despot" conversations that I've found quite hilarious. Thought I'd share those for entertainment's sake.

Quote:me: turn played
I razed a city of yours
it was juicy
spacetyrantxenu: delicious.
i'm glad you enjoyed it
so how many do i have left?
me: tasted like Steak and potatoes and fear
spacetyrantxenu: fear? being dead is better than i left them. (that's how i treat 'em)
me: i dinn't say i killed them
spacetyrantxenu: you said you razed the city. that sounds like you killed it with fire
me: AFTER I threw everyone in a concentration camp
hence the fear
they fear me more than they used to fear you
so i win
spacetyrantxenu: oh, well if you can get that lazy lot to work i congratulate you.
me: "bows:
spacetyrantxenu: they kept going on and on about truffula trees and thingamajigs but never learned to fear the whip. i think they're better off in you CCs.
me: Well, that's what you get for following Seussian Doctrine
Keep them half-drunk, it heightens their paranoia and begrudging admiration
spacetyrantxenu: (i don't remember intoxication as any part of the seuss doctrine?)
maybe i was too young when i first read these books
me: improvise
you know how good government works
say you're doing one thing while really doing the other
spacetyrantxenu: oh, you mean wholesale lying to my people. yes, i'm good at that.
what kind of tyrant isn't?
me: A bad one obviously
And, since you didn't lie enough to them to get them drunk
You Sir, are a bad Tyrant.
spacetyrantxenu: i didn't want them intoxicated because it would reduce their suffering. we can't be having that.
me: That's why I said half-drunk you numbskull
increase paranoia without numbing their suffering
spacetyrantxenu: oh, for paranoia induction we use hallucinogenics, not alcohol.
me: well I haven't found any reliable hallucinogenics yet, what with the limited biodiversity of our current lands and dearth of trading partners
but alcohol works just fine
spacetyrantxenu: i make mine out of corn and rice, i don't have any grains for proper brewing. and i can't even prepare a goldschlager variety since you've taken that source for yourself

me: whipping much?
spacetyrantxenu: only as much as my people need.
there was a riot outside a bakery, well, that didn't last long.
me: good to hear
spacetyrantxenu: now there's more bread than people to eat it. just the way we like it
me: always better than famine
spacetyrantxenu: sometimes the people deserve famine. and when they do, that's what they get.
me: cause if the people are underfed, they don't have enough energy to be properly pushed to their limits
keep their limits high, so you can use them longer before they break
spacetyrantxenu: oh i don't really care about efficiency. i just work them until they drop. if they drop sooner i'll just go get another one to fill his place
me: just tell them it's for "long life and prosperity" and then they don't care
well
then you aren't getting as much blood sweat and tears out of your slaving poplace as you could
spacetyrantxenu: i can just tell them there will be cake at the end
i never said i was in it to maximize their effort. i'm a bit of a sadistic ruler.
it will all work out. in the end they'll overthrow me and drag me through the streets. that's how it always ends for us, you know.
me: I prefer using them to maximize my own power
nom, it doesn't always have to end that way
dream big young despot!
spacetyrantxenu: maybe you're a different sort of despot than i am, then.
you may dream of maximizing power, some of us just aim to maximize suffering. to each his own, am i right?
me: I suppose