I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] scooter, pindicator, and Huayna Capac try some fast Zulu cuisine

Commodore scouts as far away as possible with his first unit, he's always done that.

Ok, Pindicator and I chatted about where to go with the scout. Generally, we can either scout W of Commodore or N of Commodore. We elected to go for west. Reason being - we're essentially at the south pole, and we believe we are connected to the main continent due to the geographic evidence. B&S usually doesn't have huge chunks of the main continent down this far south, so it seems more likely that the land W of Commodore will fall into the sea sooner or later. We figure if we go W first, good chance we can confirm/deny that quickly, then head north. If we just go straight north, we may always be in doubt of how much land Commodore has to his west. So west it is. Scouting would indicate that this was probably the right call. First move:

[Image: t13_scout1.JPG]

Hill vs flatland means hill, so hill it is:

[Image: t13_scout_move2.JPG]

Confirmed, Commodore is at a west coast and likely has little to no land to his west. So time to head north. And overhead shot of the very funky land formation we have:

[Image: t13_overhead.JPG]

I do suspect this will a pretty unusual (even by B&S standards) map given that everyone who saw the map and commented publicly on it just said "yes this will be a fun map to play." We'll see what happens. We're definitely going to want to get a unit north of our cap at some point.

Post-Turn Chat Log:

pindicator: oh wow, i didn't expect to see water that soon
scooter: me neither
so he's literally up against it like we are
pindicator: and it's starting to look like his best land is towards us...
scooter: so he'll either go north for that corn river site or he'll just settle at us
yeah
figures
pindicator: we need to get a scouting wb
dunno how soon we can fit that in, probably not until t40
scooter: yeah. part of the curse of our slow start is we'll need to cut corners to get out to 3, 4, and 5 cities faster since city2 will be really slow to settle
pindicator: let's cross our fingers that comm doesn't have ivory nearby
scooter: no kidding
none so far
pindicator: but yeah, we need to at least settle up to the chokes
scooter: would help to know what we have nornth but yeah
not much choice but to keep him from stealing too much land
pindicator: yeah, we just need to prioritize settling west, but without stretching too far
hey, wb finishes next turn! we can start building our worker smile
scooter: yeah finally!
heh. i'm going to laugh if we go and pop BW from a hut right after mining comes in resulting in worker-first retroactively becoming the best starting chocie
*choice
pindicator: see? another reason why it was good we didn't pop a tech from that hut tongue
you know, we may still be on an island with Commodore...
scooter: i'm trying to wipe that thought from my head haha
though, i seriously don't think islands have inland saltwater seas on them
pindicator: well, as you said, the lurkers thought it was a "fun map"
i kind of want to run about 10 B&S maps now just to see if that pops up
scooter: yeah but still unedited. i think it's a script thing
scripts differentiate between continents and islands
like for b&s, the continent generates, then the islands generate in a separate phase. though i have no idea how the continent occasoinally splits into 2 like pb5 did
pindicator: still, remember that "pangaea" we got in PB7?
scooter: heh, yeah. that was odd
pindicator: i mean, you're likely right, but it is still possible that oddities happen
scooter: yeah. hoping not hah

TL;DR - Scooter and I comment about how it looks like Commodore is likely to be expanding in our direction given what we see up north. Some talk about what our slow start will mean for that upcoming land grab. And more discussion about out if we're both on 1 large island or a bigger landmass

CHARIOT RUSH!!!!!11

I think the main thing we've learned is that when people say pregame that a map will be fun to play, it probably means it will be fun to lurk instead. lol

(November 9th, 2012, 15:00)NobleHelium Wrote: CHARIOT RUSH!!!!!11

I think the main thing we've learned is that when people say pregame that a map will be fun to play, it probably means it will be fun to lurk instead. lol

Yeah, that's actually been a nagging fear of mine. "Fun to lurk" and "fun to play" are often very, very different. Maybe they see we happened to roll next to Commodore and maybe Plako rolls next to Lewwyn and maybe most of the stronger teams got crap starts... and of course they conclude it looks fun. For them. lol

I'd actually kinda like to see that K1 WB file to see what could have been. wink

So I was looking around for city names, and as always wikipedia has us covered

Lots of choices, especially if we go international.

Speaking of gamey stuff, commodore was waiting for the turn to roll so he could log in fast and double move us.
Lucky for us scooter was also watching, and beat Comm by less than a minute. He'll have a writeup, but Comm's response was not something that makes me think he cared about the double move spirit that the game had on PB5

(November 10th, 2012, 10:26)pindicator Wrote: Speaking of gamey stuff, commodore was waiting for the turn to roll so he could log in fast and double move us.
Lucky for us scooter was also watching, and beat Comm by less than a minute. He'll have a writeup, but Comm's response was not something that makes me think he cared about the double move spirit that the game had on PB5

I just wrote this post... so why did it get inserted as if I wrote it 8 hours earlier???

Weirdness !!!

Turn 014

N-N seemed like a natural enough move for the scout without asking for input. Looks like we get to pop another hut next turn smile

[Image: y4mXDDDcpV1-IvTBg50iYGSsEOnBMVhKr6rDfVzj...pmode=none]

At our capital, the work boat finished and it's time for a worker next. Yet I did not immediately net the clams, and here is why:

[Image: y4m2Y8vIatQ0V3OHHhQwsv8ANeTdf2Jif4Lr_jZn...pmode=none]

The work boat has 1 move left and is on the nearest clam. If we do not net the clam this turn and instead net the farthest clam we lose 1h toward the worker and 3c. This will not slow the worker, although it will mean we lose out on 1h of overflow in 10 turns. But it also makes the next work boat to be built will be able to net clams immediately. Is that worth delaying, or do we want to hook it up right away? I honestly don't know, I think it depends on what is happening when the 2nd work boat finishes being built. If we're growing at that time then it may be, but if we're going straight into a worker or settler after the 2nd work boat then it's the say issue as here: we only gain 1h and get 3c a turn sooner.

Thoughts? The turn is left unfinished.

(November 10th, 2012, 10:41)pindicator Wrote: The work boat has 1 move left and is on the nearest clam. If we do not net the clam this turn and instead net the farthest clam we lose 1h toward the worker and 3c. This will not slow the worker, although it will mean we lose out on 1h of overflow in 10 turns. But it also makes the next work boat to be built will be able to net clams immediately. Is that worth delaying, or do we want to hook it up right away? I honestly don't know, I think it depends on what is happening when the 2nd work boat finishes being built. If we're growing at that time then it may be, but if we're going straight into a worker or settler after the 2nd work boat then it's the say issue as here: we only gain 1h and get 3c a turn sooner.

Thoughts? The turn is left unfinished.

In my sandbox, the 2nd WB moving seemed to be a good time to revolt to slavery. So net the nearest clam.