For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Lurkerloos and map discussion

I'm not dedlurking, and figured it out when I caught up on Scooters.
Commodores is just much shorter...
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

Lewger's on to him. They've done the CD and concluded that Azza has only 3 warriors. It doesn't sound like they'll pass up the opportunity. Too bad, Azza was off to an awesome start. Doesn't look too good for him now (but Scooter's thinking about offering Azza horses which would even the playing field and with his GNP he could get Archery pretty quick.

Well I was rooting for 2 guys; Commodore because he's an entertaining warmonger and Azza just because. Both are now looking at an uphill battle for future relevancy. Azza's lack of planning really cost him here. Nakor & company had a clear objective to get the Great Lighthouse with a solid plan and timetable. Azza stated that his plan was to try to praet rush but then got sidetracked by the Great Lighthouse. Had he stuck to his strength and turned those wasted hammers into a couple extra workers and warriors/archers he would probably be well on his way to taking Stonehenge away from Lewger right now.

Its certainly not over especially in light of Azza's very high production. I wonder if he'll solicit Scooter for horses? If they both have horses, I imagine that Azza and Lewger will fight tooth and nail over that Iron location.

Ah crap Azza doesn't have wheel yet! And this despite having both gems and gold, a massive amount of food, and a capital that is near its happy cap. I guess he didn't feel he needed this stuff since he was building settlers.

So we have several turns of Chariot vs Warrior and not even parity in mobility. In Lewger pushes his advantage, this is going to be ugly.

Azza has certainly over-boomed here and if Lew catches him, well he probably does deserve to be caught.

Azza shouldn't have built that fifth settler and should have gotten Archery and 2 archers out before getting IW and planting forwards.

I think that Scooter made the wrong decision here. Pissing off Commodore definitely makes him an enemy and means that scooter will not get a moments peace, and needs to keep Commodore under control for the rest of the game. Huayna of Zulu though is better off expanding than Giggles of Siam...
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

I don't see how any rational observer can think that scooter started this conflict.

Azza definitely oversettled, remains to be seen if they actually call him on it.

For the record, was unspoiled when I made the comment the the scooter thread, have since spoiled myself, will not make any other "good call" type comments, in case anyone was wondering.
I've got some dirt on my shoulder, can you brush it off for me?

Quote:I don't see how any rational observer can think that scooter started this conflict.

Everyone is in conflict from turn 0, so this point is irrelevant in the context of pink dots.
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

(December 28th, 2012, 13:35)Gaspar Wrote: I don't see how any rational observer can think that scooter started this conflict.

I dont know if the map Azza posted showed iron in Coms lands. Would Scooter et al have let him live if he has no metal. As I read them, and the overall feeling, he is considered a ticking bomb. Would anyone let him live even if he didnt pink dot?
While I didnt like his odds I can see why he went for the copper site, gold site was mainly to facilitate that city.
There was discussion of pushing him hard on settlements, with early talk of going westward ho(!)

I have to say I agree that Commodore rushing to attack Scooter/Pindicator early seemed and continues to seem pretty inevitable. They have correctly interpreted the lurker desire for bloodshed and Commodore's eagerness to play along. Commodore was already planning to commit to a grinding campaign as soon as he felt able; hitting the warrior and chariot changes nothing in that respect. Scooter and Pindicator had zero chance to play the game they would have liked to have played from the moment this map was chosen.

No offense intended Master Krill, but Commodore already took a run at Scooter with Chariot and Warrior. Wouldn't he likely have tried again had they left those unit alive?

They also know that Commodore's in a corner, or at least both Commodore and Scooter believe that Commodore's in a corner. As you said, the two of them are essentially in conflict from Turn 0. So why wouldn't they take out 2 units at 72% odds? When at war, destroy the enemy. Isn't this really just a matter of timing?

In light of their lack of knowledge of the ivory, the containment strategy while picking the low hanging fruit seems pretty sensible. Unfortunately for them they haven't noticed the ivory and they may have falsely concluded that "He's not going to throw away his game to spite us over an opportunistic chariot pop, especially not when he was trying to be opportunistic himself". Scooter's false assumption will appear to be confirmed in the following turns if Commodore finds the patience to wait for elephants.

I'm especially interested to see if Commodore will tip his hand by hooking up the ivory for luxary reasons before he lands Construction and HBR.