I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Augustus of Arabia: Alliteration Isn't Always Amazing (ad hoc and Merovech)

New (worse) cap, triple reloads, yeah, this game is getting off to a great start. I don't mean to come off as angry-I think I will still really enjoy this game, but I am definitely less enthusiastic and there's nothing I can really do about it. I also have no desire to do any sims right now ike I did before, although that is partially due to a few upcoming tests.
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

Well finally ( i hope) we're off

Moved the scout south onto the hill to find more clams, i should have discussed with Merovech crazyeye but i think that settled it, sheep, dry wheat and two clams, three hills for production capital city here we come

[Image: 10000.jpg]

And a dry corn smile

[Image: 20000.jpg]

i think the plan will be to circle the Capital anti-clockwise

Whoo! Corn is awesome. I fully agree with settling in place. That flat, unforested grassland looks suspicious, btw. l wonder if it is a hidden strat? Did you end turn yet? I am no longer sure if hunting-agri or agri-hunting is our best bet. My gut says hunting-agri. Anyways, this scouting is great! I also agree with circling the capital, with detours to grab huts.
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

(November 1st, 2012, 10:10)Merovech Wrote: Whoo! Corn is awesome. I fully agree with settling in place. That flat, unforested grassland looks suspicious, btw. l wonder if it is a hidden strat? Did you end turn yet? I am no longer sure if hunting-agri or agri-hunting is our best bet. My gut says hunting-agri. Anyways, this scouting is great! I also agree with circling the capital, with detours to grab huts.

the more sims i do the more it seems the agri - mining - BW - hunting seems best, it minimises the worker turns just roading, the last sim i did had four cities by T48, with 3 warriors and 1 worker. Not many workers i know but the cities make up for it

continuing to move the scout, there seems to be plenty of food around dancing

The grassland to the south of the scout would make a nice second city site already.

[Image: 30001.jpg]

Sweet, although it makes hunting even more important. I will take a stab at simming tomorrow, cannot tonight (exam tomorrow afternoon). We can still switch the order of hunting/agriculture, btw if we end up not going mining BW next, since the worker doesn't come out until t14. The main benefit of hunting then agriculture is that the sheep pasture gets improved two turn faster than the corn farm (we don't half to spend a turn walking and pastures take one less worker-turn to build), and if we go directly to agri after it, he will only have 1 turn to road before farming, if I recall correctly.

As to lack of workers-not a problem, as long as those cities are working improved tiles. If we're building cities onto 2/1/0, etc. tiles, then I'm not a huge fan, although I suppose those cities could be building workers, even though it's not efficient.

Also, with one worker, how many chops are we getting? With Imp, we want to be building settlers almost entirely with chops.

That being said, four cities by t48, with a small but existent military, is incredible considering our civ. Does that include a turn to revolt into slavery?

Here's to hoping we pop BW from a hut (or really, any tech, but BW's the most expensive one we need)!

Although there is an advantage with hunting and improving the sheep first agri - min - bw does get us chopping 7 turns earlier and in a sim i just run i had 2 workers by T34 when BW came in. By T50 we had 4 cities, 2 workers, 4 warriors and one of the clams improved.

i'll try and do a detailed write up tomorrow of this sim so you can check it.

(November 1st, 2012, 16:31)Merovech Wrote: Sweet, although it makes hunting even more important. I will take a stab at simming tomorrow, cannot tonight (exam tomorrow afternoon). We can still switch the order of hunting/agriculture, btw if we end up not going mining BW next, since the worker doesn't come out until t14. The main benefit of hunting then agriculture is that the sheep pasture gets improved two turn faster than the corn farm (we don't half to spend a turn walking and pastures take one less worker-turn to build), and if we go directly to agri after it, he will only have 1 turn to road before farming, if I recall correctly.

As to lack of workers-not a problem, as long as those cities are working improved tiles. If we're building cities onto 2/1/0, etc. tiles, then I'm not a huge fan, although I suppose those cities could be building workers, even though it's not efficient.

Also, with one worker, how many chops are we getting? With Imp, we want to be building settlers almost entirely with chops.

That being said, four cities by t48, with a small but existent military, is incredible considering our civ. Does that include a turn to revolt into slavery?

Here's to hoping we pop BW from a hut (or really, any tech, but BW's the most expensive one we need)!

That's excellent. Like I said, I can't do any simming tonight, but those results are excellent. I will not expend much energy on hunting first sims.

next two turns of scouting, our first happy and pigs, we're certainley food rich

[Image: 40000.jpg]

[Image: t30000.jpg]

Awesome. Too bad it's a calendar happy, but even still, it's nice it's near the pigs (and eventually lighthouseable lakes)