Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

Augustus of Arabia: Alliteration Isn't Always Amazing (ad hoc and Merovech)

Oh, also, when are you going on your break?
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

The game has finally moved on and AH is in and as expected they're not in any of cities BFC. Plan will now be to finish the worker and chop out a settler in AA, the only thing to decide is where to settle. I'm contemplating on the horses, growth will be slow with no food but i think its the best site.

Research is set for Archery which will be in 2 turns and then either pottery-writing or vice versa

The warrior has moved east and it does seem that there is land to the east which we need to scout as soon as possible before we get blocked in.

[Image: EAST0000_zps971cf894.jpg]

Darn, it looks like on the grass hil would have been best after all. Poor luck. Yeah, too bad about that, but I actually agree with you that we need to settle in that area soonish, since we really don't want to be cut off by plako. Thankfully, grassland riverside horse is a very nice tile to work (2/3/2).
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

This is what I opened the game to see. Edit: In case it isn't clear, I made some drastic changes to this. Screenshots will follow, from the next turn.

Notes: We have no unimproved workboat resources (although we do not yet have a scouting workboat), we aren't at or planning war in the near future, and the worker micro seems to have no macro behind it (it is also missing at least one turn into a road that I remember mentioning to ad hoc at the very beginning, when we were comparing first 50-turn microplans). This does not mean that there is no macro, of course, and I haven't seen the most recent microplan(s), just I am not sure what the plan is when we have workers chopping into the less-built of two scouting workboats and no workers to support our 4th city, which we will plant in a turn.

[Image: City%231.png]

[Image: City%232.png]

[Image: City%233.png]

[Image: Tech%20Screen.png]

Okay, so I've been thinking about what to do here. I'll finish teching writing (I switched to 100% gold for a turn because we were running break-even) then quickly tech pottery. This should line up not well, but adequately, with the new builds of a worker out of BB and a settler out of AA. More workers will follow-we have to get some cottages down asap.

The next settler will go north, to the deer/share corn site, then we'll quickly run another settler to cut off plako from the eastern peninsula, which has some nice land. We'll fill that up, then start to build an army-I'm thinking horse archers, probably. We need to get more room-hopefully plako will peacefully expand south. I doubt we can surprise him, but hopefully we can grab a few cities, then re-asses.

Note to self: Remember to change new micro at AA next turn. (In order to get enough gold to four-turn pottery, I am working a 4/0/2 clams tile for one turn over a 5/0/0 dry corn - and yes, this means I changed my mind and decide to grab Pottery before finishing off writing (which will actually give me a small beaker bonus into writing, but that's not why I'm changing now. We need granaries and cottages ASAP, especially in our new city).

Also, I almost had a heart attack when, upon settling the new city (which I forgot to rename), I revealed five plako units. Thankfully, it turns out that three of those units were two workers and a protecting spear, and one of the other is a military police axe. I believe the last is simply a scouting warrior.

plako has copper (and his copper is located very close to us-big target if/when we attack him), but not horses (yet).

Screenshots probably tomorrow. I have to go into windowed mode to get screenshots, and I prefer to actually play in fullscreen.

plako declared war. Crap crap crap. I would have much preferred to war in 30 turns, not now.

I made an executive decision-we're losing Mecca no matter what, but I don't think plako has much of an army at all, besides an axe and a spear (didn't actually do the math), maybe an additional axe or two in the fog. I could see that his city nearest to us is empty, however, and we have a clear path with our previously-garrison warrior (this also threatens two of his workers), so I let the city empty (it'll auto-raze, thankfully, and I don't think he can get any further into our territory, although I queued up a round of archers anyways, yes they are useful right now, despite what I said earlier, although I would have preferred pottery-archery-writing, not archery-writing-pottery (we'd have archers by now either way) and moved the warrior southwest. Most likely he has some reinforcements coming up from behind (I think this is more of an attack of opportunity than a planed war, but I could be wrong), but just in case he doesn't I offered him a ten-turn peace treaty.

His city is size 1, so he can't whip it next turn, at least.

I really should post some screenshots, huh...

plako razed Mecca and moved up a warrior to block mine (on a forest, so pitiful odds to attack). I moved the warrior to scout out a little bit of plako's territory, then deleted it to keep the experience from him. There is not much I can do, I actually kind of wish ad hoc and my times had been switched or that I could get his advice-I would have place us in a better starting position, but I think ad hoc's tactical skills and military build-up skills and experience are significantly better than mine.

If we weren't already out of this game, we are now-we're not going to be able to counter-attack plako and grab breathing room, even though I think he can't progress. We should make peace soon, once he sees this-I don't think he knows that we have a scouting warrior lurking behind his lines. Hopefully it can make it south at just the right time to surprise him-he has few, if any, military police near us.

New mission, which ad hoc might very well be able to talk me out of, especially if we get lucky somehow and end up back in the game: Make plako pay. I am quite willing to wait on my vengeance, but plako will not win this game if I have any say in the matter.

Note: This does not mean I am not having fun-I'm annoyed at the timing of plako's attack, but we kind of brought that on ourselves. I'm actually quite exhilarated.