I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Churchill of Portugal: Gallipoli Part II

Tentatively, I'd suggest skipping the road on the hill and using that turn to revolt to slavery. Too bad you're already there. If you're not planning on whipping, though, finish the road.

Let Two Fish borrow the corn from One Fish, grow to 2, whip/chop the granary, regrow, then start pumping settler for #3, Clams. Alternatively, if no slavery, simply grow to 2 and work the cottages, switch One Fish to the lake. I'd rather be able to whip this extra pop off, though. Have One Fish start building a WB (You have fishing todo this, right? If not, fishing after Mysticism). I'd wait on IW because it's going to be expensive. You can make a living off diminished 4/2 whips after you pop borders and net the seafood.

cap borders pop T44 --> cottage 3rd dyes

If you feel you're slow to your second city, and chances are that you are slow given you grew your cap to 5 and haven't whipped it, it is not inconceivable that someone will pop their third city soonish. Be careful on that assumption about the barbs entering borders.

I'd skip the religion for now. Two Fish is not the ideal location. I'd rather pick up more land tiles. If there is a religion around for the taking around time for settling Red Fish and you can contrive a way to get it to found there (Is this doable? I don't know the exact formula, just a general preference for a higher population, non-capital city??), I'd try for that. I think there's more benefit to covering land tiles with your free culture than covering the sea.

One Fish's borders pop on T50 as indicated by the sign on the map. It's T39, mouseover of the culture bar shows 11 turns to go. Palace is producing 2 culture per turn --> 50 turns to get 100 culture for 3rd ring borders.

Since PRO gets 100% hammers toward granaries (suck it, EXP!) in RB mod I think the first plan for Two Fish will be to chop in the granary and steal the corn from One Fish. I'll send both available chops into the city for that purpose, the overflow can go toward a monument to get the fish inside culture. At that point quick one pop whips for two work boats gets the fish online without having to wait forever to do it.

In the meantime One Fish can work on getting the other settler out. Then someone is going to have to build a bunch of workers, hopefully Two Fish will have both of its fish up by then and can throw food at the problem. That's a rough outline of what I need to accomplish soon. Of course, there is the issue that I'll need some kind of military before too long. So my choices are either going for horses or iron. I really need IW and it isn't that expensive. It's a 14 turn build but it will take me a while to finish this settler and get another going anyway. Plus I really do have to build some kind of military garrison to go with the second settler, so I'll probably have to grow One Fish building that military before the settler.

OK, time to play the turn.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

T39 - Workers did the obvious actions, Sam-I-Am is still chopping, 2 turns until he adds his 20 hammers to the settler in One Fish. The Lorax is building the road Boldly didn't want. alright

[Image: T39-OneFish.JPG]

In international news Nakor build a city last turn. I'd have to go back and read my own reports to know if it's his first or second as I'm not playing Civ-spreadsheet. I can really appreciate how high level players have to dedicate the time turn by turn to build up their in-game awareness of what's going on in the fog. I just don't have the time or patience for all that. Hence I'll probably be steamrolled by a better prepared opponent later nod . Anyway, the only other obvious thing for this turn is that someone has grown their capital to size 5, so I'm not alone there. They probably already have a second city though. Actually F9 confirms it, I'm second in population, 90,000 to 91,000. duh

Score changes:

Brick +2, population again? Seems like he's been growing a lot lately. Settled city +2 for Nakor, +6 so probably a tech for Plako, same for Commodore, +6 (tech?), Lewwyn added 9 points -- is that how much a classical tech costs? If so maybe he went for IW already. The event viewer showed nothing for the turn so no wonders fell, so he didn't Oracle anything. Azza also added 6 points, so maybe he got a tech as well. No changes for the rest of us. If someone can confirm the cost of Classical techs (or even better post a link somewhere that lists what techs are worth in each era) that would be awesome. Otherwise I'll just have to keep guessing incorrectly.

Demographics:

[Image: T39-F9.JPG]

Someone is making headway in GNP, I'm 2 off the lead and in 5th place. Then again Mysticism has no prerequisite bonus so maybe my gems advantage is negated for the moment.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

Also, I finished the campaign for Halo 4. What's up with...

This is a real spoiler, not just hiding a photo. If you don't want to be spoiled about the ending to Halo 4 GO AWAY!

[SPOILER]

OK apparently I can't nest spoilers in the new forum....is there a way to do this???

If you don't want to know about this don't read my next post!
[/SPOILER]

This one is the real spoiler, seriously, if you don't want to be spoiled about Halo 4 go away!

What's up with apparently killing off Cortana? The writers couldn't come up with some kind of plot device to get her off that installation? Or did they just want to eliminate a core character to make the new series of games different? Anyway I guess it doesn't matter. They left Master Chief for dead after Halo 3 and he's doing surprisingly well for being dead....At least with him we all knew he wouldn't really die. I'm sure they'll bring her back, too, if she's needed. Or maybe she's somehow still with Chief, maybe as part of his weird new Forerunner power....? He could communicate with the Didact, maybe he'll be able to talk to her. I mean, if not, who the hell is going to put waypoints all over the map telling us exactly where to go??? smoke

(November 30th, 2012, 08:02)spacetyrantxenu Wrote: One Fish's borders pop on T50 as indicated by the sign on the map. It's T39, mouseover of the culture bar shows 11 turns to go. Palace is producing 2 culture per turn --> 50 turns to get 100 culture for 3rd ring borders.

Since PRO gets 100% hammers toward granaries (suck it, EXP!) in RB mod I think the first plan for Two Fish will be to chop in the granary and steal the corn from One Fish. I'll send both available chops into the city for that purpose, the overflow can go toward a monument to get the fish inside culture. At that point quick one pop whips for two work boats gets the fish online without having to wait forever to do it.

In the meantime One Fish can work on getting the other settler out. Then someone is going to have to build a bunch of workers, hopefully Two Fish will have both of its fish up by then and can throw food at the problem. That's a rough outline of what I need to accomplish soon. Of course, there is the issue that I'll need some kind of military before too long. So my choices are either going for horses or iron. I really need IW and it isn't that expensive. It's a 14 turn build but it will take me a while to finish this settler and get another going anyway. Plus I really do have to build some kind of military garrison to go with the second settler, so I'll probably have to grow One Fish building that military before the settler.

OK, time to play the turn.

I was looking at the EP @ 4 on the previous turn picture. Oops. I read your Halo spoiler. Guess I should get started on that again.

Couldn't resist the spoiler, huh? nono Oh well -- schedule some play time with the missus, if it won't trigger an epic boss fight. I'll get you caught up.

T40 - Slowcheetah settled a city last turn, I really should go back and count how many people that leaves with just one city. It's starting to feel a bit lonely.

[Image: T40-OneFish.JPG]

The chop went into the settler this turn so at EoT I'll be at 92/100. Dump in a few more food hammers next turn and at the start of T42 I'll have my first settler out the door. Yeah, I probably should have gone worker, settler, worker instead of worker, worker settler here. But then I'd have had a shortage of tiles to work...which would have made whipping better, which would have meant I needed BW sooner, before Pottery...I'd have had to rework the entire plan. That also means I would have had to known how long this would take. Hmm...a vote in favor of sanboxing? lol Meh.

Not much else to report...the road finished on the hill where I'll settle Two Fish so next turn the pair of workers can begin chopping the forest on the roaded forest hill. That will deliver the chop to Two fish on the turn I settle it, on the same turn Mysticsm finishes. I'll send the chop into a monument first (ack I hate it!) since it will take 10 turns to get the borders popped onto the fish once the monument finishes. The other forest chop will most likely go into a work boat for Two Fish and then the other work boat will have to be sent from One Fish or whipped in Two Fish, I'll have to figure out which is quicker. A granary would be nice, too. crazyeye

Score changes: Nakor gained 3 points. I need confirmation of whether that's a city growth or something else. I think it's population. Slowcheetah added 3 points (city settled) and Serdoa added 9 points, so classical tech I assume. Or ancient tech and population or something else. If you guys are reading this and tired of speculation someone could throw out possibilities of what three point increases could be.... smile

Demographics:

[Image: T40-F9.JPG]

Whoever is producing those 15 hammers is hitting it hard. I'm still watching the event log for an announcement of Stonehenge being built.

OK so I broke down and built a half-assed sandbox.

[Image: SandboxSimTwoFish.JPG]

Only the land tiles near the capital and the city I'm about to build. I ran this out 15 turns, which was long enough to pop level 3 borders in One Fish (to claim the third dye tile) and to build a monument and granary in Two Fish and have a work boat completing at end of turn. One Fish has finished its granary and has a settler due in 2 turns here, but the settler will actually come out sooner than that because I didn't bother to set up the 10 hammers I already had invested in the granary at One Fish before I started building it in this sim. So the settler comes out a bit sooner. I also built a second warrior so that I wasn't completely defenseless, I have no idea if it's needed but it definitely isn't a bad idea.

There is a lot of optimization that could be done here but I mostly wanted to validate the idea that monument first wasn't as terrible an idea as I was thinking it was. It turns out that building the monument before the granary is OK because I'll have time to get the granary built in Two Fish before the borders pop, just as the first work boat is coming out, and just as the settler is ready to leave One Fish for the site I'll settle immediately in the east. I'll revolt to slavery as the new settler is travelling because I certainly don't have enough workers to build a road over there to speed it up. The settler will transit for one turn, I'll revolt, and then settle and whip the second work boat in Two Fish. At that point I should have just enough improved tiles for all the cities, if Red Fish takes the gems from One Fish.

The one thing I did poorly in this sim was make use of Iron Working -- I finished the tech and then didn't have a worker in place to start improving the rice. I think seeing that I'm worker constrained here (and knowing that both the fish tiles are better than the rice), the better play would be to tech AH instead of IW and see if I have horses somewhere. IW is obviously useful but I need more workers to get my investment back, and the workers won't pour off the assembly line until after Red Fish is settled. The sim can't tell me where my source of iron will be but as the tech is more expensive than AH and I can't make use of it quickly enough to make it worth while, I'll go AH first in the real game and hope I can turn up horses. If not I'll go immediately on to IW and hope Krill didn't troll me with the map beyond my awesome capital location. smile

Delayed report for T41 - Workers chop/cancelled to setup the chop into Two Fish for T42, the settler for which is visible to complete this turn.

[Image: T41-OneFish.JPG]

Score changes: No changes in the top half of the scoreboard, but Slowcheetah picked up 6 for a probable ancient tech, Scooter/Pindicator picked up a population growth, as did Azza, and Merohoc picked up an ancient tech.

Next turn is more interesting.

Demographics:

[Image: T41-F9.JPG]