Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Churchill of Portugal: Gallipoli Part II

T42 - The news for T42 is settling Two Fish:

[Image: T42-TwoFishSettled.JPG]

Unlike the incorrectly named capital One Fish that has no fish, Two Fish actually has two fish. I began working immediately on a monument (ick!) to get the culture flowing ever so slowly toward encompassing the high yield fish tiles. The city settles on T42, the borders will pop on T56. By then I want a granary in place and the next setter to be on the move so I can swap civics and whip out the work boats. For now my workers are doing all they can to get hammers into the monument and granary quickly, so it will be chop chop on the two forests in Two Fish's BFC and then a mine on the hill as marked in the picture above.

[Image: T42-TwoFish.JPG]

I took the corn tile from One Fish so that Two Fish can grow quickly. By the time the mine completes the city will be size 2 and able to work it. The hammers going into the granary (some overflow from the monument and the rest slow built) will be worth double thanks to PRO so that will help get this city moving soon. Having the road in place to this site allowed the trade route to be established to my capital on the turn I founded this city, so that makes my upkeep here almost a wash for now.

[Image: T42-OneFish.JPG]

One Fish is going to have to work an unimproved tile for a few turns, but that was the trade off for spending the worker turns on roading to Two Fish to found on the turn the settler was produced. It may have been wiser in the long run to eat the turn of anarchy now while the settler was on the move and used that worker to build another tile improvement at One Fish but I didn't run a sim until after that plan was in place. Besides, no one ever said I was good at micro, this is what I get. At least it's effectively a 1/4/0 tile while building the granary. (What's that you say, if it was mined it would be a 1/6/0 tile? OK, got it, I need more workers!).

[Image: T42-F6.JPG]

This was the key decision I was able to make after running the sim, that I could wait on Iron Working and go for Animal Husbandry now. I was unable to make use of IW in my one quick sim, not that I couldn't have run another one to see what happened if I did different things with the workers, but I liked how that run turned out and went with it. Anyway, the point was that I thought I could delay IW a bit so I'm going to try to find my horses for now.

Demographics:

[Image: T42-F9.JPG]

I don't remember now why I took this photo, I think this was the first turn that there was a third size 5 city. I believe by this time I had already established that the second player to size 5 already had a second city. alright

[Image: T42-Top5.JPG]

Coming soon: More missing turn reports. Probably condensed because not as much interesting was going on.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

T43 - Sam-I-Am moved onto the forest on T42, this turn he started a chop. The Lorax kept mining. I realized after moving the workers that it would have been unkind to make The Lorax do the chop, but he'll get a chance eventually I'm sure. Clear out all the truffula trees, let the Bar-ba-loots starve!

[Image: T43-Map.JPG]

I thought this was interesting:

[Image: T43-Top5.JPG]

A size four city listed above size five would have to indicate some crazy productivity in the smaller size four city, right? I wonder if the size five city was in revolt (civic swap) to make it so unproductive that a size four city was better? But then why not the other size four city that is in fifth place? Random mechanics question if anyone cares to answer. I don't think it would be a spoiler to find this one out be feel free to disagree. Just explain it in the lurker thread if you want, I'll read it post-game.

Demographics:

[Image: T43-F9.JPG]

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

T44 - Not much action here, the workers kept up their previous actions. Nothing interesting domestically and I haven't been watching score changes for the last few turns. People are whipping now and so score is going up and down a bit. Example: This turn Lewwyn is down 5 points from last turn. Probably a whip in both of his cities. I hope he's doing the bounty bit he didn't do in PB7 and going after someone, but I seriously doubt it.

[Image: T44-Map.JPG]

Demographics:

[Image: T44-F9.JPG]

coffee

T45 - OK, finally some action. Sam-I-Am finished the forest chop into Two Fish so the monument will be built next turn.

[Image: T45-TwoFish.JPG]

Two Fish was at 24/30 on the monument so will overflow 14 base hammers into the granary from the chop, plus one hammer of production into the granary. So next turn the granary will be halfway done. Two Fish grows next turn and will need another tile to work. Good thing the mine comes online next turn!

[Image: T45-Map.JPG]

I would have liked to get a chop into the granary at One Fish but my labor force is otherwise occupied. Slow building will get it done eventually, 3 more turns, as I grow to size 6 to work another bad tile. Maybe building another worker here wouldn't have been a bad idea instead of the granary right now. Oh well, may as well finish the granary since it's nearly done. I guess since I'll be stopping growth to build the settler soon it won't matter that much about the tiles -- the workers will catch up to the population here. Once the settler comes out there's always the whip to solve an excess of population, if needed. But I'd rather keep growing here and get all the grass cottaged instead of whipping the population away.

True story: I didn't take notes when I ran the sim so I'm a bit fuzzy of how exactly I played this before. I just know it turned out mostly right the first time. Uh...prior preparation prevents piss poor performance? lol Maybe in PB9!

Demographics:

[Image: T45-F9.JPG]

T46 - Back up to date now, here's tonight's turn.

[Image: T46-Map.JPG]

The Lorax finished the mine, which is being worked by One Fish to help complete the granary a turn sooner. The mine goes back over to Two Fish next turn to speed its granary. Sam-I-Am moved down to the GFH by One Fish and will start chopping it next turn. One Fish will begin a warrior next turn but the chop will go into a settler. Or a worker if I change my mind. Or a military unit of some sort if something unwanted wanders in out of the fog. I'd like to get the warrior built and sent forward to fog bust a bit. I'm expecting to see some more advanced barb units any time now. I haven't kept an exact count but I think everyone has two cities now and some may have a third out too. We're surely above 22 global player cities by now.

[Image: T46-OneFish.JPG]

I can't wait to get those two fish netted. This city is going to have crazy food whenever it borrows the corn from One Fish. Plus 12 food here at size 4? twirl After IW maybe so, that's a worker in 5 turns just off food! That's also a lot of one pop whips waiting to happen with a CHA + gems happy cap nod

[Image: T46-TwoFish.JPG]

Demographics:

[Image: T46-F9.JPG]

My cities of 5 and 2 are 90000 + 6000 = 96000, good enough for third place. First place is 90000 (size 5) + 21000 (size 3) + 1000 (size 1). So first place in population is out to three cities already. Yeah, watch for barbs. And settle more cities! I wonder who is rival worst in pop at 7000 (size 2 + size 1)....that's not so good, but maybe it's Lewwyn after doing a pair of whips a few turns ago. Or someone else who I didn't notice whipping away several pop this turn (just checked scores, don't see any as of yet). It bears watching, I need to keep up in expansion and not get to caught up in growing tall this early just because I have a higher happy cap.

Oh, and obviously I neglected to mention that T45 Nakor grabbed Hinduism. I don't expect it will be long until someone techs Meditation now. Depending on what I find when I finish AH on T48 maybe I'll make a run at it, but I doubt it will last that long. Also, one of these IND guys are going to build a wonder soon, right?

You actually turned a profit it looks like settling your first city. Empire maintenance was less than 2, so rounded down to 1. You got 1g per trade route. Profit. Cities are cheap, it would seem. Spam everywhere. What level is this again?

T47 - Granary finished in One Fish. I gave the mine back to Two Fish and swapped the dyes hamlet back to One Fish.

[Image: T47-Map.JPG]

I started One Fish on a warrior build for new garrison and started moving forward the warrior that had been sitting around for the last thousand years (or however long). I want to fog bust around future Red Fish, plus have a second unit because certainly there are nastier things than just barb animals around now. Two Fish is still working on the granary, due in 4T now. Third ring borders pop at One Fish in 3 turns.

Demographis:

[Image: T47-F9.JPG]

Oh, and Boldly the difficulty level is Monarch. So the next city, being close by, shouldn't cost that much either. But beyond that it will scale up a bit due to distance.

As much food as you have at One Fish, have you considered whip/overflow stacking to get out your settler faster? That would be one way around the diminished returns on slaving in RBmod. I didn't follow PB5, probably the only person around who didn't, so I don't know if that was tried. But, if your cap is 8 and you need to build warriors anyway for garrison duty, so give it a try in the sandbox. Maybe whip out a couple of warriors in succession. You obviously wouldn't want to do that forever, but you don't have a ton of improved tiles yet, and can grow faster than you can make improvements for now.

This would also be a good plan for your workboats. Then you could overclock the whips in Two Fish for a few whips in supporting city #3. Think of it kind of like leapfrogging ahead. Not sustainable, but if your cities are starting with a happy cap at 7, you have some room for abusing the whip.

Next turn it looks like you'll start working your second unimproved tile, the first being the lake if I'm seeing correctly. Take this for a run in the sandbox and see if you come out ahead. whip

I'd consider it if I was in slavery smile . I'm swapping into slavery when the next settler is on the move as it will need a turn to get in position. I have a few turn reports due, maybe tonight I'll get them posted.

read