For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Churchill of Portugal: Gallipoli Part II

Screenshot of F6, please. Shift + click and hover mouse on Sailing for me. You need to scout the rest of the coast WNW of your capital. A fish or two there would be helpful and make the distance to your horses seem closer. But, the good news is that you are not closely bordered by an aggressive neighbor, so you don't need the horses ASAP. I'd plant as of now on the small island marker so you get the seafood as well as the horses in the BFC.

To be honest, I'm not much help here. I do my best when I can sit in game and ponder. How many turns until you anticipate being able to get to calendar? I'm not sure what your tech goals are after IW. I'd like a galley soon.

Here's my ratchet attempt at a dotmap.

[Image: PB8%20dotmap.JPG]

The green one by the sugar should actually be 1W. With a LH that's +3 food off the lake. Pink could then be moved to the hill depending on what you find.

(December 19th, 2012, 15:11)Boldly Going Nowhere Wrote: Screenshot of F6, please. Shift + click and hover mouse on Sailing for me. You need to scout the rest of the coast WNW of your capital. A fish or two there would be helpful and make the distance to your horses seem closer. But, the good news is that you are not closely bordered by an aggressive neighbor, so you don't need the horses ASAP. I'd plant as of now on the small island marker so you get the seafood as well as the horses in the BFC.

To be honest, I'm not much help here. I do my best when I can sit in game and ponder. How many turns until you anticipate being able to get to calendar? I'm not sure what your tech goals are after IW. I'd like a galley soon.

Here's my ratchet attempt at a dotmap.

[Image: PB8%20dotmap.JPG]

The green one by the sugar should actually be 1W. With a LH that's +3 food off the lake. Pink could then be moved to the hill depending on what you find.

One other thought, yellow should move 1S. This opens a spot 2N of that location that would share rice/banana/2 dyes.

I already have Sailing, Yuris was good enough to pop it out of a hut for me.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

I'll probably build a better sand box over the next week and sim out my next plan. My current plan stops in a few turns when I get this third city built. Immediate priorities for now though are:

1. More workers
2. More cities
3. More military

I'm paper thin on army, you see both of my warriors in the screen shots I post every turn. I don't have a lot of flexibility. I need to keep exploring and fog bust better so I can get these cities out quickly. Fortunately I'll be off work for a week and a half starting in two days ( jive ), that should give me some time to play with a sim run or two.

Turn report incoming.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

T54 - Not much to see here, warrior (newly named Horton) heads west to deal with the barb over there. Sam moves to the GFH to being mining, the chop will go into Red Fish's granary. The Lorax is chopping what will become One Fish's work boat. I should have managed it better so that the chop went into a settler or a worker so I could keep growing but I need a work boat for clams ASAP, so oh well. Another small minus to efficiency. These are adding up, aren't they? crazyeye

[Image: T54-Map.JPG]

Demographics:

[Image: T54-F9.JPG]

These two screen shots are from five days ago the first time I played this turn, but they're the same, except for a one point change in someone's GNP. Meh.

T55 - So if anyone is curious as to what the difference in the game is now versus when we played these turns (since the T53 reload) the first time, here it is:

Before:
[Image: T55-Map.JPG]

After:
[Image: T55.2-Map.JPG]

In my end of the world the only change is that the barb warrior down on the SW peninsula has wandered a different path on whatever barb AI mission he is running. He isn't beelining my territory, since he has done at least one U-turn down there. Anyway, I thought it was interesting to see that the barb unit didn't take the exact same movements as he did before the reload.

In terms of players the only change in the scoreboard this time around is that BRick, who initially missed the turn, is up 7 points versus this turn last time. I didn't take new screen shots for the reloaded T54 to see if his score changed on that turn, but in the current game time line BRick got a 2 point increase on new T54 for a population growth and then a 7 point increase this turn, I assume for a technology. He didn't get that the first time around so maybe he called for the reload because missing the turn set back his tech by a turn, which set back some plan he already had in motion? That's the best I can come up with. Anyway, that's what passes for news around here where there isn't a lot to report.

In my part of the world I'll finish a work boat and pop borders at Two Fish next turn, netting fish on T57. Another work boat will begin immediately, which will be whipped to completion soon. The settler will finish out of One Fish on T57, by which time I'll have the fog busting warrior standing in place where I will settle Red Fish, on the off chance a barb tries to come in around from the east on the one turn that it would be really annoying. I think the western warriror, Horton, will fortify on that jungled hill and wait for the barb warrior to suicide, then he'll finish exploring the peninsula and hope for fish. If he doesn't find me fish I'm going to lock him away in the capital for thousands of years. If he finds fish he'll probably suffer the same fate. lol

Oh, and since Boldly asked so nicely for F6:

[Image: T55.2-F6.JPG]

Yeah I've only managed to research 7 techs in 55 turns. duh I hope I have iron nearby, closer than those damn horses. Well, it isn't that the horses aren't close, they're just in an annoying place. Anyway, feel free to speculate about my tech path, I haven't made a decision there yet about what comes next. I'll probably figure that out when I run my sims and develop a plan.

Demographics:

[Image: T55.2-F9.JPG]

T56 - Quick update today (no more informative than usual!):

[Image: T56-Map.JPG]

The barb warrior made another U-turn and is presumably standing on my horses in the SW. I wish it would come on and suicide, I need to keep my warrior at home for garrison happiness soon. Or go explore the end of this peninsula. I can't do either as long as the barb is lurking down there, but I know if I move forward this turn the barb will be on the covered tile in front of me (unless he doesn't move -- don't barbs always move?)

I somehow miscounted when the chop would come in but it doesn't really change anything, the settler is done this turn anyway. Or maybe I had the count right and then documented it incorrectly in this thread? I don't know, irrelevant. Settler is done this turn, work boat is done the next turn, then I'll go into revolt to bring slavery to my people, they're gonna love it. I chose to keep the corn another turn in One Fish instead of having Two Fish start growing now because I want a few extra overflow hammers for two turns from now when I start a warrior. In the event that something goes wrong and I have to put off a revolt I'd rather be able to get another warrior out in two turns instead of three. Well, then again if I revolted I could have a warrior in two turns (one revolt, two poof goes the population...oh well, I've already exited the game).

[Image: T56-OneFish.JPG]

Two Fish finished the first work boat, which moved to the coastal fish. A few more turns and then I'll have the food with which to whip my people into submission repeatedly. Flay hide --> repeat. Aaaaaaah it's great to be the dictator (and not one of those damn plebs!)

[Image: T56-TwoFish.JPG]

Your score leaders 1-4 are Creative (1, 2, 4) and IMP Brick, I assume he has extra cities thrown across the map. I keep sliding but it isn't a big deal (well, it kinda is...I haven't whipped yet which inflates my score some, but my score is below average, probably a sign that not whipping sooner and expanding slowly was a Bad Idea). I say it isn't a big deal because I'm probably going to be one of the first to tech IW, which is a bit on the expensive side. I can gobble up some cheaper techs fairly quickly over the next several turns if score mattered. What I need to do is figure out which tech I need to prioritize next. As in, you know, I need to come up with some goals now that this plan is ending. Wait, didn't I say that last turn? Ah well, it's the long weekend after work today, that's when the planning will happen, right? Right? We'll see!

Demos:

[Image: T56-F9.JPG]

Since my thread made it to the bottom of the list it's obviously time for an update. Quick recap of recent events:

T57 - Two wonders were built, the Great Lighthouse and The Oracle. I know The Oracle is Mayan (Serdoa), pretty sure the Lighthouse is Nakor/CFCJesterFool just based on score watching. (Nakor +18, Serdoa + 24). No real guess about what Serdoa took with the Oracle but he has a workboat in the water (see below) so let's just randomly pick a tech: Metal Casting. Could be wrong, I don't really care for now.

Oh, the other thing that happened on T57 was I settled Red Fish. Hello there.

T58 - Worker movements. Doubled up to speed the mine/chop.

T59 - The workers finished the mine, dumping the chop hammers into Red Fish's granary. I worked out the timing so that the granary would complete at the same time the food box was half full. That passes for good micro around here. Also, I spotted iron by Red Fish, inside my cultural borders when IW completed. jive That's convenient. I probably should have waited to settle the city to be sure I could get a strategic resource in its culture but if it wasn't there I'd have just rushed out another settler. crazyeye I whipped the WB in Two Fish, regrowth is immediate next turn, overflow goes to a worker. I'll switch to lighthouse T61 to let the city grow (1 turn), then whip worker when the overflow looks right. One Fish completed the WB for Red Fish, started warrior for happiness garrison.

Horton killed the barb warrior (barb attacked at 1.2% odds crazyeye ) He will continue exploring west coastal area. I began researching Writing, I'll put a library in One Fish before too long and maybe in Two Fish to get a GS, after I'm OK on workers/settlers.

T60 - Not much here, granary is 1T to go in Red Fish, garrison warrior is 1T in One Fish (along with growth, the warrior will prevent unhappiness).

T61 - This turn will get its own post. All I can say is when I wrote the turn report for this one I was pissed about the random event.

Photo stack:

T57
[Image: T57-Map.JPG]

T58
[Image: T58-Map.JPG]

T59
[Image: T59-Map.JPG]

T60
[Image: T60-Map.JPG]

Demographics dump, in case anyone cares or is playing along at home:

T57
[Image: T57-F9.JPG]

T58
[Image: T58-F9.JPG]

T59
[Image: T59-F9.JPG]

T60
[Image: T60-F9.JPG]

So, T61....Slightly edited from when I originally wrote it the other night. (I'm not deliberately sandbagging turn reports, I just play the turn, take screen shots, and then do a writeup when I have time. My little tyrant is having his nap time right now, so hoorah you guys get a turn report, and I have time to tone down what I wrote the other night. The original version was a little saltier. I hate random events....) Picking up from the other night when BRick needed someone to log in and pause the game for him:

An Angry Tyrant Wrote:T61 - [redacted], I logged in to pause the game and have a [redacted] event to deal with. Slave revolt, yay! And I just swapped into slavery civic a few turns ago, T57. So with 3 turns passing in the meantime I get my first random event of the game, it's one that really sucks, and I've only whipped once so far. What a dumb event. Out of the options I had I took the middle path, which cost me 10 gold and one population in One Fish, and left the city in revolt for just this turn. The other options were worse -- lose 2 pop this turn and have no revolt (plus one unhappy face for I guess a few turns), or do nothing and hope that the revolt ends soon. I've taken the do nothing approach before in single player games and it usually ends up that I have to pay something to make it go away, eventually. I can't have my capital doing nothing for several turns and I have the gold on hand now, so I burned the one pop and paid the bank 10 gold. [redacted].

I cleared out the end of the peninsula with Horton, of course there is no additional seafood. The land over there sucks. In the water Serdoa is out scouting with a work boat. Hello first rival. A peek at the trade screen shows that he has two cities and is in slavery. I'm pretty sure he built the Oracle a few turns back from score watching (OK, the Top 5 / Wonders screen now gives it away, noting that The Oracle is (Maya). I'll be curious to know whether Serdoa declares war on me to keep exploring into my territory. I can think of better ideas, I'm known for holding a grudge. I think Scooter and others used exploring work boats extensively early on in PB5 and didn't really pay much attention to national borders, so I assume Serdoa will keep exploring. If I had a galley I'd whack his work boat for the hell of it, but I don't have one yet.

Further piecing together a delayed report - Worker actions for this turn were easy: double team the iron mine, get to it! Oh, my previous turn report was wrong, looks like the granary is 1T in Red Fish this turn. I guess the clam icon was blocking the city billboard display. Rabble rabble, stupid icons!

TL;DR -

[Image: T61-FuckingEvents.JPG]

rantrantrantbangheadbangheadbanghead [Image: angry.gif]

[Image: T61-Map.JPG][/quote]

[Image: T61-F9.JPG]

I'm skipping a few turns here but there isn't a whole lot to report. Just this major annoyance from T66:

Yeah, five turns after the first event I got another one, the same slave revolt in the same city...where I've never whipped anything. bangheadbangheadbangheadbanghead

So there goes another population point in One Fish and another wasted turn not producing anything. I swapped the tiles around so that Red Fish worked the Gems and Two Fish grabbed the corn and one of the cottages, so at least I could work most of the high yield tiles. So that's 60 hammers I'm down at this point through these two useless slave revolts. Stupid. Game.

At least on T67 something went right:

[Image: T67-WeGotReligion.JPG]

Yay, random religion pop in Two Fish. It must be from Serdoa, I assume, I guess he founded Buddhism. That will be helpful eventually I'm sure.

Current map:
[Image: T67-Map.JPG]

I'll whip those two lighthouses soon, when they're down to 1 pop whips.  I don't like building them this early but for Two Fish it will be +2 food, for Red Fish it will be +3 very quickly so I think it's worth it. The axe will move forward and start fog busting and barb killing in preparation of my next city forward. I think I'll need another worker first, though. I haven't decided on that yet.

Demographics:
[Image: T67-F9.JPG]