I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Churchill of Portugal: Gallipoli Part II

How hilarious would it be if xenu 's boss started lurking here?
lol
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

Nice updates! It seems that you are doing fairly well. I wouldn't necessarily worry about the lack of whipping - in RBMod, whipping isn't nearly as productive as it is in base BtS due to the nerf on multiple-pop whips.

(January 12th, 2013, 00:39)Ceiliazul Wrote:
(January 11th, 2013, 22:20)Boldly Going Nowhere Wrote: You try to figure out what I meant, then you'll understand how anyone would feel lurking this so-called thread. I'm still sober. Ish.

Don't listen to him, more updates! Also, if you hit ctrl-B before you take shots in the fog, it'll lighten up the terrain for better pics. I can't really see the hills/trees in the area of Black Fish.

May I suggest naming the block city "Once-ler". He is, after all, guardian of the trees. You can't name it 'fish' if it's landlocked, right?

I'll get the bare map shot for you next time I log in. I'll use Once-ler for a unit name (maybe I'll save it for if I ever get a woodsman unit?). I'm naming units for anything in the Seussiverse, but the city names are coming from here:

[Image: One_Fish_Two_Fish_Red_Fish_Blue_Fish_%28...art%29.jpg]

Portugal seems to fit the fish theme. When I run out of fish I'll keep going through the book.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

(January 12th, 2013, 01:34)Qgqqqqq Wrote: How hilarious would it be if xenu 's boss started lurking here?
lol

I'd say not very hilarious. Playing my pitboss turns in the morning before driving to work is most of what got that email sent to me. shhh

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

(January 12th, 2013, 06:47)regoarrarr Wrote: Nice updates! It seems that you are doing fairly well. I wouldn't necessarily worry about the lack of whipping - in RBMod, whipping isn't nearly as productive as it is in base BtS due to the nerf on multiple-pop whips.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm trying to keep that in mind but I still feel like I'm well behind the pace of what a better player would have done with this start. With that said it isn't all bad, I'm having fun with the little empire I have so I guess it doesn't matter if I'm too terrible at this. lol

Time to play a turn!

T81 - A better map of the north, as previously requested:

My warrior is on the marked tile, he'll move NW next turn. I wonder what Brick is up to here, though:

[Image: T81-Civstats.JPG]

That's a pair of whips this turn. I wonder if he doesn't like my warrior poking around? We'll find out soon. The other thing I saw on Civstats this turn that confused me was Merohoc's score decrease at the turn roll. It doesn't look like a player captured a city from him because that would have happened any time during the turn, not at the turn roll. But that is when the barbs get their action phase, I hope he didn't lose a city to a barb. eek The only other thing i can think of would be some awful random event, but that won't manifest until he logs in to play, right? So it seems like barbarian misfortune.

Speaking of that, I screwed up my unit movements and have left my new city exposed.

I wanted to move my axeman 1N to fogbust a bit and only realized after moving him that I don't have a unit nearby to cover Blue Fish in case there is a barb on either of the tiles 3E of the city (around the dyes). nono Be more careful, Xenu! If I don't get punished for it this turn by a barb wandering in out of the fog I'll be OK, the axe goes back south next turn and I'll be finishing another one in Red Fish soon. But this was careless.

In the south I spotted Nakor's borders:

[Image: T81-NakorBorders.JPG]

So we each have a work boat near the other's territory. Maybe in this case a war declaration would be mutually beneficial. I'll hold off on that for now, though. I remember my thought process earlier when I thought Serdoa was going to sail through my territory, I'm sure Nakor won't care for it either so if I can go around I will. Finding him this close to me is annoying, though. I may end up having to settle on my horse to have any food in a city at the south of my peninsula. When my work boat gets back to that area (to the west) hopefully I'll find food in reach on the other island and can avoid crowding Nakor. But I need those horses, so I'll do what I have to in order to get them.

In other foreign news Serdoa built the Colossus:

[Image: T81-SerdoaBuildsColossus.JPG]

So there is the completion of his Oracle for Metal Casting play. Okay. It didn't cost him much, he's IND and I think he has copper, so I think it was pretty easy going.

Here are my current tile assignments. I have one improved tile I'm not use (a grass hill mine) and every tile I'm working is improved (plus 2 lighthouse like tiles, I count those as improved).

[Image: T81-Map.JPG]

I turned on research after saving gold for a while. This should get me through to Monarchy. I had to decide between Monarchy and Calendar, it was about the same cost either way but this way I get to pick up Monotheism and use OR. I'll want to keep spreading Buddhism as I go so that seems worthwhile. After turning on research my demographics look better:

[Image: T81-F9.JPG]

Virtually tied for the lead in GNP, first in food, and a bit behind in MFG because I swapped off that hill tile in Red Fish (swapped to the new farm tile so that I could grow the city this turn). The farm chop went into Blue Fish to finish the granary. I have to decide what the overflow will go into. I'd like to pop borders here soon so I can start farming everything, but if this is going to be a military pump maybe it wouldn't be horrible to do that with barracks instead of a monument. If I had a missionary available I'd use that but I can't build them yet. Maybe I'll get more free spreads since the RNG still owes me one? lol

Nice demos! Merehoc's score decrease could be starvation as well, but doesn't look good for them in any case. (I haven't read their latest updates)

T82 - Oooooo a new turn already, that was fast. dancing

I logged in to find a proposal from Brick:

[Image: T82-BrickProposal.JPG]

OK, so it looks like he wants a map swap and 10 turns of peace. He also just built a new city on this new turn, he is one of only two players who has played so far. Considering I didn't see a settler last turn I don't think he has settled toward me, but I still want to see the map before agreeing to his trade. DECLINED!

And oh oh oh...yeah, DECLINED. He planted a city in my face. This won't do at all.

[Image: T82-WarInTheNorth.JPG]

I can't leave that city there, sorry. If he settled it for the iron he could have done so to the west which would have been annoying later, but not annoying enough for me to try killing the city right now. But I suspect he was after the overall good site with iron cows and gold. Probably having a port on this gulf was important, too, that or he doesn't have the rice tile defogged. In any case, this city is too far south for me to willingly allow it. Lurkers rejoice, more violence is coming!

After moving the axeman into his borders I was disappointed to find that he had properly defended the city, at least well enough that I won't risk taking the shot next turn:

[Image: T82-NotGoodOdds.JPG]

Good thing I have help on the way:

[Image: T82-F1.JPG]

I whipped Red Fish again, as the city had grown into unhappiness anyway (from my previous pimp-handing and from having a warrior out of place. The warrior is headed back into the city for garrison now that borders have popped over there). I thought about switching Two Fish to a military build but decided I should go ahead with the settler. I should be able to kill the city with three axes, a warrior, and an archer (I hope), even if Brick reinforces with something else while I walk my troops forward. My force will be advancing up a road to the city as the Lorax will just keep doing what he was doing before, roading to the Black Fish location. I hope this doesn't get messy or turn into a protracted affair. I hope Brick realizes that I can't allow that city, as it will cut me off from further expansion. I don't know how much of my peninsula he has explored, so maybe he doesn't know that city is vital for me. Or maybe he's on his own peninsula and hoped to secure the western connection for himself. Either way, it's problematic and we either have to share that land or we're going to fight over it.

Map overview, showing more workers doing worker things:

Demographics, and bonus time, I finally got graphs back on Serdoa. We'll see how long that lasts:

Last turn's GNP numbers were misleading, that was while finishing Masonry, double prerequisite bonus and all. This turn it's just one prereq bonus being added in. But this turn's research is going to provide a lot of overflow into Monotheism, that should be a 3 turn tech I think, because I only had about 15 beakers to go on Masonry when I finished it last turn and this turn I only have 1 beaker to go on Polytheism. There was no real reason for setting up the tech like this except that I wasn't sure about committing to the Monarchy path until last turn. And now that I'm at war I wish I had a useful military tech to research, and HBR doesn't count because I am not on target to settle the horses yet. So...yeah. Let's see how this works out for me.

Score:
[Image: T82-Score.JPG]

GNP:
[Image: T82-GNP.JPG]

Food:
[Image: T82-Food.JPG]

MFG:
[Image: T82-MFG.JPG]

Power:
[Image: T82-Power.JPG]

Culture:
[Image: T82-Culture.JPG]

Espionage:
[Image: T82-Espionage.JPG]

[Image: T82-F9.JPG]

Wish me luck! hammer

Man, it's feast or famine in this thread. Thanks for the updates. Too bad about that archer/hill. It appears that they've settled in a straight line to that location, which hopefully makes it harder to reinforce, but you can probably expect 2 archers there before your other units get there. Any chance you could take that axe and continue north and harry his cities? You could possibly sit on his lines of reinforcement if he has any roads connecting the new city, or maybe interfere with his food/production at the next city.

Good luck, and don't worry about me cracking on your thread yesterday. I just like updates every now and then. popcorn

Yeah awesome updates thumbsup
Do you think it'll be a quick war?
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.