For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Churchill of Portugal: Gallipoli Part II

Well my intention is for a quick war. If I burn that city and settle mine I'll be happy with the outcome. I'll offer peace immediately if that happens. Whether Brick would want to accept peace or not, who knows. I think he'll be inclined to, unless he generates a massive military machine by then and just feels like using it.

As for what to do with the axe, it looks like he has a road on his iron tile. I could swing around and try to pillage it. I think it's his only metal resource.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

Go for it. It's not like he's about to attack out of the city vs. your axe with a 50% bonus. But, be careful, he has horses hooked up and the fastest arriving reinforcement is likely to be a chariot. Do you have any spears on the march?

No, but that's an easy fix, this isn't PBEM so an ended turn doesn't mean a lot in terms of adjusting your production queues. Switching to a spear in One Fish, will whip it when it isn't at penalty.

I logged into the game to make the production change at One Fish, upon log in I was presented with another offer from Brick, for straight up peace. No thanks, I have to try removing the city. But hey, this is AI diplo, why waste an opportunity to talk? My counter offer:

[Image: T82-CounterOfferToBrick.JPG]

Maybe he'll take the offer, but I doubt it. His city isn't exactly where I wanted to place Black Fish, but to save the cost of a settler I can stand it. Besides, I still have that settler build underway at Two Fish. I hope that isn't overly optimistic on my part. If I end up one unit short on the attack that's going to be why.

Updated production queues:

[Image: T82-F1.2.JPG]

Yo Brick, take the deal!

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

T83 - A new turn, a new counter proposal from Brick:

[Image: T83-BricksLatestProposal.JPG]

I guess that means he declined my offer for him to gift me his contested city (newly renamed to Old Black Bear). The trade screen also revealed he has planted yet another city. He is definitely getting use out of his IMP trait. I wonder how his economy is doing, though? Maybe with such rapid expansion he isn't keeping up with his military. I'll be finding out soon, eh?

After moving my axeman 1W and my warrior 1SE here's the scene:

[Image: T83-BrickImprovesIron-BarbCity.JPG]

Looks like I found Brick's workforce. The moves next turn are obvious, unless something changes: axeman onto the iron (to pillage), warrior onto the road tile to stand in the way of reinforcements. I'm not sure where Brick will move his workers, this is a bit of an envelopment problem he's going to face, at least until relief troops appear to clear out my warrior. I guess the solution is to move all the workers onto the jungle tile 1NW of the city and then evacuate them back to his city to the north. I probably won't get to capture any, but I'm happy to disrupt his micro here. I wish I had my forces ready to strike now, I could skip pillaging the iron since that's a nice tile. But I don't want to let him build any metal based units since I think this is his only source (unless the other new city grabbed iron or copper; those resources didn't appear on his trade screen when we first established contact).

Here's the view of my cities from this turn:

[Image: T83-Map.JPG]

The spear whip at One Fish has put the city into unhappiness. I didn't want to whip the city but I need the unit quickly. I overflowed quite a few hammers into Red Fish from the previous axe whip, that will go into a sword, I'll whip that next turn. Red Fish is going to have a lot of stacked whip anger. For the glory of the empire! I changed my mind about swapping Blue Fish to the farm tile, it stayed on the iron mine so it can complete the archer and get it moving north. I feel like I'm trickling units to the fight AI-style but I don't see any reason to wait and send it all at once when I think I can cause problems with each new unit that makes its way to the front.

City builds:

[Image: T83-F1.JPG]

Demographics:

[Image: T83-F9.JPG]

I'm beginning to wonder if Brick is second in crop yield, with as many cities as he has. I don't think he's the rival best in soldiers, as that is a significant force someone has invested in. Brick has been pumping settlers, but you never know. If that's his number I'm sure he'll let me know soon enough.

For future reference, it looks like Brick has 2 hammers invested in something in Back Forty this turn. I assume it will be 6 next turn, as he works the iron mine.

Hypothetical lurker question: With my assumption that this is the first turn Brick has had access to iron, and assuming he begins building iron/copper based units this turn, what happens in two turns if I'm able to successfully pillage the iron? Will any units already in production queues have their progress halted with the resource unavailable or will that unit complete, with an inability to build subsequent metal based units? It would be great if Brick wastes a turn or two of production and never gets to use those units against me. Then again, he has just enough of a window to start the builds this turn and then whip everything next turn when my axe moves onto the iron. I can't pillage until the next turn. Hopefully he doesn't realize this and go on a whipping spree.

Incomplete units that lose their required resource will not complete. Even if brick sees he lost iron and whips the unit to completion (before it gets auto wiped from the queue the following turn) out still will not complete. The hammers should still be stored though, if he reacquired the resource

Thanks, Ceil. Hopefully he won't get an opportunity to reconnect the iron, if I am able to pillage it.

T84 - So much for pillaging the iron. Brick moved a chariot into the city this turn and evacuated his workers before I logged in to play. I'm sure that is going to cost me, in the form of seeing axes, spears, and swords from him. Have I mentioned how terrible my horse placement is? If I had horses I would have already had chariots and I would have definitely used a chariot to pillage his iron if I had one up there instead of the axe. I don't even know when I'm going to be able to settle my horses, as Nakor has a city just across the water from them that is going to take away the only food source I see down there (my crabs). cry I'm moving my work boat around to explore the area but that will take a few turns. I thought about swapping my research toward HBR but there is just no use as long as I can't settle the horses. I considered taking the settler that is due from Two Fish to do it now, but I need that to replant over Brick's city if I'm able to take it -- there's no point burning his city if I don't have a way to secure the land for myself.

The north at the start of the turn:

[Image: T84-FrontMap.JPG]

I built roads with the two workers, moved the axe to cover the workers (and then remembered this isn't PB7, I could have probably just gone 1E instead of 1SW with the axe. banghead ). The warrior went 1S, and will meet up with the rest of my army when it can. Maybe it's more valuable fortified where it was to give vision of whatever is coming down the road, but I may need every living unit to take the city, so I'm trying to save it if I can. Next turn I'm going to chop that forest with all three workers. Brick won't be able to use the chariot to kill my axe because I'll have an archer on the tile by then. Hopefully that will deter a chariot attack. The chop will give me +10 into another archer out of Blue Fish.

Elsewhere:

[Image: T84-F1.JPG]

I'm less than happy about stopping my sim-civ game I've been playing. The problem when you go vertical with your cities is that once they're grown you have to go horizontal or you'll get behind. Just as I was ready to push horizontal Brick screwed up my plans. I think this war is going to set me back quite a way -- I'm bleeding commerce here, people! Maybe I should have conceded the city (in the short term) and come back for it after settling the rest of my peninsula. But no...that spot is mine. Damn your hide, Brick!

Overview:

[Image: T84-Map.JPG]

Demographics:

[Image: T84-F9.JPG]

At least I didn't have another counter offer to decline from Brick this turn. lol

T85 - This is annoying. Brick is going to cheaply stuff his city full of archers and make this expensive for me. I'm starting to wonder if it's worth the trouble at this point. The way he is expanding so quickly his economy has to be garbage. I should have just settled my 5th city somewhere else and come back later with a tech advantage and crushed that city. But...he made me angry, so that's that. I've already built these units, I have to use them, right? I'm mostly just irritated that for once I felt like I was playing a decent game, but now I'm at war with the guy last on the scoreboard and probably toward the bottom in GNP, too. I'm sure he's up there in Food or MFG, and if he spams cottages he can catch up later in GNP, but I'd have a window later even with fewer cities to go to war. It was impulsive to declare, what can I say. I should have taken that low odds shot with the axe, though. That would have settled it one way or the other. Either I'd get what I wanted or I would have ceded the city for now and saved myself a lot of hammers. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

Maps:

Brick is stuffing the city with archers. I hope they shoot each other.

[Image: T85-NorthMap.JPG]

My cities. My poor, poor whipped cities.

[Image: T85-Map.JPG]

Demographics - The shine is off this one. banghead

[Image: T85-F9.JPG]

Bastard! One way or another, Brick will pay in this game. I know I'm not good enough to pull off winning one of these pitboss games but I do know how to grind two civs into the dirt at the same time. Having been involved in a spite war in the past it won't turn out well for me, but I'm not facing Mackoti and Seven this time, either, so if it goes badly for me maybe it will go worse for Brick. Let's find out!

Or maybe I'll be in a better mood tomorrow and change my mind. I wish I could put a poll in this thread, lurker votes would certainly drive up the post count. shades

I forgot, I did an alternate dotmap in case I can't kill the infidel dog's city (maybe he should convert to Buddhism!):

I'm not happy with it at all, especially with the area around where Black Fish was supposed to go. If I settle on the spot labeled "C - Alternate" that's going to be a longstanding problem for both of us. But the bastard took my cows and made it impossible to get a decent city with the rice. I guess I could put a city 2S of that sign (1N of the northern dyes) and get the rice, but I'll have to shuffle things to put in my central city. It could go 1S, but then the bottom city has to go 1E and loses sharing the sugar tile. And I can't settle any of these, really, until I get a work boat over there to make sure I'm not going to strand any seafood. I guess I could walk a warrior all the way out to the end, but what a pain in the ass. I don't exactly have units to spare right now, and my work boat was supposed to be scouting the horse city because I just can't let Nakor take that from me. Imagine it, it's the medieval age and I can't build knights, I'm stuck with...maces. Mkay, yeah that doesn't sound fun.

This game was more fun until Brick screwed up my city placements. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH! rant DIE DIE DIE!

Woah, slow down, no need to go off the rails. Brick is just doing what he thinks is best for his civ, no need to take it personally. Fight back, viciously if you want, but leave off the name-calling. nono Think for a sec: is this a reasonable response to someone planting a city? shakehead

Now, what do you propose to do about that city? He is likely to send every archer he produces south to this spot. You could perhaps walk your army around the city and threaten something else? How many tiles north to his next city? It looks like he's settled in a straight line south, so it may provide a choke point against him somewhere to prevent more units from getting down there. Gotta cut his roads.

C-alternate looks entirely indefensible. He can 2 move you at will, but if you two move him you have to attack a hill across a river. I would not recommend this site. Stay calm, no reason to get worked up here.