For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Churchill of Portugal: Gallipoli Part II

(October 28th, 2012, 21:07)spacetyrantxenu Wrote: That's a really nice start. This has SIP written all over it. This much food just screams whipping but I'll have to be careful with my play habits since whip efficiency is different in RB Mod. One benefit of CHA is that I can whip more heavily earlier on if I need to, due to the free happiness, so if I stack up a few more unhappies on one pop whips it isn't a big deal in the short term Ideally I'd like to use those improved corn tiles to push out several quick workers and settlers, then start growing my capital ASAP up to my CHA happy cap. Once I'm there working gems (!) and with a cottage on the dyes and anywhere else I can get one, I should have enough beakers coming in to get to Monarchy and HR so I can grow out my capital.

Plan subject to change on T1. Scouting moves: I think I'll move the scout 9 and then either 8 or 7, that should hopefully be enough movement to identify if I'm about to strand a sea food resource. Also, I think I see jungle 774 or the settler's tile, I hope I'm not right on the edge of a big swath of jungle. I don't want to go to IW very early here. But it makes me wonder, since the dyes are right next to where I started....Well if it is then workshops are very good in this mod so it isn't all bad, just tech up IW to cut out the jungle and then power through whichever techs are needed to make the workshops worth using.

I'll have more to say once the game is live, I'm sure, but there is not a lot else to do for now except nail down a naming scheme. I have an idea in mind but let's see how it goes when I reveal a few more map tiles... popcorn

Any thoughts on settling on the dye for the free commerce? You won't get to calendar for a while, so it won't hurt you early. I think a little extra commerce early is worth more than the yield on that tile over the course of the rest of the game. All other resources would still be in your BFC. I count 5 forests either way, could be another one or two hidden 2W of the dyes, so you could even gain in that way. Worth a look.

I was planning on building a cottage on the dye until I can put a plantation on it, that makes up the commerce gap fairly quickly versus settling on it. Maybe it would be worth exploring the three fogged tiles in the west of the planned BFC before settling, but I think I'd have to see something crazy good to consider moving the settler at all.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

The game is up so here we go. I moved the scout west to have a look at a few tiles that would be in my BFC if I settled in place, revealing another dye tile. Good enough for me, this is a really nice looking start. I settled in place, which revealed the clam just outside the BFC. Hopefully there is enough land up there to the east that I can still settle the clams.

[Image: T0-WorldMap.JPG]

It would be able to share the gems with the capital which would be nice. I want to work the gems every turn until the end of the game if possible, that will boost my research very nicely.

It's going to take a long time but I've set production to build a worker, due in 15 turns frown I didn't see a way to get the worker out sooner by growing, so there it is. I set research to Ag so the worker can farm the two corns, then it will probably be an immediate BW so I can whip the pants off of this city to get the hammers I'll need until I can grow it onto hill mines.

[Image: T0-OneFish.JPG]

Demographics in the mid turn, I was the 6th to settle my city this turn. Seems like a lot of us are happy enough with our start to SIP.

[Image: T0-F9.JPG]

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

Two weeks of building a worker... I hope this thing doesn't go down to the wire everyday.

Our password is: protective

For general directions I don't know how many turns we'll get but I'm thinking just head west a bit for now. I'll let the land determine my path but I'm sure it won't be too long before I circle the scout back towar my capital. Just don't get eaten by a bear and thanks smile

OK! I'll do my best, bear avoidance program activated smile

T1 - Scout keeps moving and since there isn't anything else to do in T1 I took the flying camera for a spin and showed off my impressive paint skillz.

[Image: T1-WorldMap.JPG]

It seems I'm on a smallish peninsula or isthmus. With as much water around as there is it won't take long for the scout to clear out this area. I'm a bit concerned that I have jungle on my latitude immediately west of the capital and to the north. The only trees are in the BFC of where my settler spawned. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you can get jungle tiles in the capital's BFC, right? So I may be sitting square in the middle of the equatorial band and may need IW posthaste if I plan to expand. On the bright side it's mostly grass tiles (duh, jungle) so I can do something with it once I cut down the thick stuff. I hope I'll find more land based food than just what is at my capital. I can share the western corn with a city north of the capital. When the borders pop in a few turns that will help clear out some of the fog north of the capital so I'm not really worried about that for now. Since we have a scout start I'll tentatively plan on having him go deep for a while.

I'll have to build a warrior before too long and he can worry about clearing out NE of the capital. I don't know when I will build the warrior yet, I haven't sandboxed this (doubt I will). I'll feel it out as to whether I should open with one worker or two. Since I start with Mining it's entirely possible that I'll just build one worker, grow while building a warrior, then chop the second worker when I get BW. I think BW will be my next tech since I can't run straight on to Pottery yet (need Wheel first). That's just off a rough estimate of what my first worker will accomplish by the time I can finish teching BW. I'll probably farm both corns first (wasting a worker movement. Doh!) Then I'll chop the next worker while the city grows, then mine the gems, by then I should be size 3 I would think, and working all three good tiles. I'll probably change my mind about this as I play, who knows.

I went ahead and moved this turn, looks like next turn will be straight forward enough. We only have one way to go:

[Image: T2-WorldMap.JPG]

Hut time! Good luck Yuris! See if you can get it to pop BW for us. dancing

(November 2nd, 2012, 05:34)spacetyrantxenu Wrote: I went ahead and moved this turn, looks like next turn will be straight forward enough. We only have one way to go:

[Image: T2-WorldMap.JPG]

Hut time! Good luck Yuris! See if you can get it to pop BW for us. dancing

What is the earliest you can pop barbs from a hut? This would be sixth ring (if such a thing existed) so barbs are an option. IIRC, fifth-ring or closer to the capital and the hut won't spawn barbs.

From CIV4HandicapInfo, and I believe we decided on Monarch difficulty? :

Code:
<Goodies>
                <GoodyType>GOODY_HIGH_GOLD</GoodyType>
                <GoodyType>GOODY_LOW_GOLD</GoodyType>
                <GoodyType>GOODY_MAP</GoodyType>
                <GoodyType>GOODY_MAP</GoodyType>
                <GoodyType>GOODY_WARRIOR</GoodyType>
                <GoodyType>GOODY_WARRIOR</GoodyType>
                <GoodyType>GOODY_SCOUT</GoodyType>
                <GoodyType>GOODY_EXPERIENCE</GoodyType>
                <GoodyType>GOODY_EXPERIENCE</GoodyType>
                <GoodyType>GOODY_HEALING</GoodyType>
                <GoodyType>GOODY_TECH</GoodyType>
                <GoodyType>GOODY_TECH</GoodyType>
                <GoodyType>GOODY_BARBARIANS_WEAK</GoodyType>
                <GoodyType>GOODY_BARBARIANS_STRONG</GoodyType>
                <GoodyType>GOODY_BARBARIANS_STRONG</GoodyType>
            </Goodies>

These are our options but I recall that scouts skew the results to be more favorable than hut popping with a combat unit. I'm not sure how that changes the possibilities but if it minimizes the risk of barbs (particularly strong) that would be good. Honestly, though, if we get killed by barbs before it's possible to build a worker we can just go play another game. I think it's going to give us BW, just wait and see. bow