Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Churchill of Portugal: Gallipoli Part II

T17 - My scout finally made his way over to the eastern (third) hut previously revealed when popping my second hut. Results:

[Image: T17-PopHutGetGoldAndPanther.JPG]

So the hut was good, I pocket 37 gold. The bad news is that it's about 50/50 that the scout dies when the panther has a go at him. I'd really like to clear that one remaining land tile in this area before the scout dies but oh well, we'll see what happens.

I'm currently farming one of the corns and slow building a warrior. I wasn't really sure what to dump hammers into while trying to grow so I figured I'd need a warrior eventually. It feels too early for building a lighthouse even though I'll eventually want to work the lake tile and I don't need barracks at One Fish. So I went with warrior. If I had built a sandbox maybe I would have seen a faster way to get two workers out but I don't run a lot of sims when I play. For now the plan remains to get both corns farmed and then get the second worker built, probably using foodhammers. I won't have BW in by then since I'm going for pottery first, maybe that's a poor decision, I'll wait to hear about it in the lurker thread later. The reason I want Pottery so soon is to get a granary built and get this city growing as fast as it can. I'm going to have a lot of extra food here so I may as well work a lot of tiles while I'm at it, get cottages growing early on the dyes when One Fish is large enough to work them along with the gems and corn. And maybe I can find buyers or traders for all these dyes I have.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

Good luck smile I'm pretty sure it's better than 50/50: Scout has 100% vs animals and 50% terrain bonus from forest

(November 12th, 2012, 00:41)yuris125 Wrote: Good luck smile I'm pretty sure it's better than 50/50: Scout has 100% vs animals and 50% terrain bonus from forest

~86% to survive from my sim if the panther attacks. What level are you playing on? This was a test on Emperor.

[Image: Panther%20vs.%20Scout%20(forest%2C%20defending).PNG]

Of course, my scout died anyway. May you have better luck. lol

We're playing on Monarch. So hopefully he's still alive. I'll find out in a few hours when I get home and look at the damages. Thanks for the evaluation, folks.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

T18 - So the worries about the panther were much ado about nothing. It didn't attack. I moved the scout 3 and encountered the panther again. Finding a nice jungle hill adjacent to the panther I moved onto it to reveal some coast (and to give the panther a second chance to maul me, we'll find out in just a moment as I'm the last to play this turn. And thus was the epic battle fought in the wilderness, as our men blazed at trail through the thickest part of the bush they were set upon by wild panthers and then (wtf OUT OF SYNC what is this nonsense, this has nothing to do with the narrative! Scooter is trying to join the game, well oh damn there goes my story).

Edit: I have to at least put this in the right turn report. This is where I learned to kill a panther with a backpack and a mustache (I hadn't noticed that the scout unit had a mustache until just now) :

[Image: T19-PantherAttack.JPG]

Clearly the 'stache saved the day.

Oops, ALT+S on the wrong monitor again, that's all you get for a turn 18 report. On to turn 19!

[Image: T19-PantherSlayer.JPG]

The panther slayer survived, at least half the tandem anyway. I'm down to one man in my 2 man scouting unit. This is the area Panther Slayer has been scouting:

[Image: T19-EastMap.JPG]

There's going to be a fish under that one fogged tile on the south coast, right?

[Image: T19-OneFish.JPG]

Around One Fish I finished my first tile improvement, finally, on T19. Our farmers have learned how to cultivate corn rather than harvesting it wild, I suppose. This shall make them eat abundantly and reproduce much more frequently I'm sure. Next turn the worker will waste his movement and end on the other corn, then spend five turns farming it. That gets us to T25, at which time he can mine the gems and we'll start to have something interesting going on, at least it will be a bit more fun than writing about one worker, one (half a) scout, and no tile improvements. Anyway, The Wheel finishes next turn then on to Pottery. I'm pretty sure at this point that BW would have been better but oh well.

What makes you wish you'd taken the path to BW, other than it feels like it's taken a month to get the corn farmed? You're growing onto your resources as quickly as possible, right?

Is this normal speed? On your next set of city screens mouse hover over the food bar for me so I can count some stuff out in my head.

I just keep going back and forth in my mind whether going for Pottery before BW makes any sense. Why do I want Pottery? I would like to build a granary to help grow this city onto all five resource tiles immediately but without being able to chop or whip I would probably be able to get close to reaching 5 pop without the granary. At that point what's the rush to get a granary? To make whipping more efficient? OK, but whipping is nerfed a bit anyway and I have a lot of hill tiles I could mine instead if I want to build things (workers/settlers) quickly, so I would probably want to grow onto as many of those as possible meaning maybe the granary makes more sense. The wrench in my thinking is the mod, as otherwise useless PRO now gives me cheap granaries. That was probably the deciding factor in going ahead and pushing for Pottery first, I may as well get early use of what is probably the most significant trait benefit I have.

As for BW, it's just a more straightforward way to generate the hammers I'll need. Chop the granary quickly to get whip efficiency and then 1 pop whip everything. I have a CHA happy cap to work with, I can squeeze a lot of blood out of these peasants of mine. But that plan runs against trying to grow the city as large as possible as soon as I can. I would like to have this city sitting at the happy cap when a neighboring city is ready to take away the one corn that can be shared. With no whip anger that would be size 7 right now, so working both corns, gems, both dyes (cottaged) and then two other tiles as needed, either grass cottages or grass hill mines. The other reason BW isn't immediately as important is that with granaries being reduced in cost it isn't quite so horrible to slow build them, if I had enough hammers when I need to build it. With this start since my food output greatly outstrips hammer output I'd have a hard time keeping pace slowbuilding the granary, though, I'd just be stuffing the foodbox without getting the granary efficiency. That would be a good reason to just whip and be done with it.

Anyway, enough of that. I'm still not sure I've made much of a point here and I'm not convinced I went down the right path (for either the right or wrong reason). That's why I'll read the post-mortem later and see what went wrong and when. I could have settled all this with a sim by now, though, instead of running in circles ineffectively trying to puzzle it out. That's one side effect of trying to do this when my brain is numb from a long day of abuse at the office. bang

T20 - The worker wasted his turn moving to the second corn. Farming begins next turn. We'll be at +10 food when the second farm completes.

Inside the city, with requested mouse over info:

[Image: T20-OneFish.JPG]

I'll probably have to pause growth by throwing foodhammers into a second worker to stay ahead of growth onto unimproved tiles. Oh, and my previous post mentioning the size 7 happy cap is obviously flawed. I have gems right next to the city waiting to be connected, so size 8 is immediately available once the token MP unit completes at some point down the line (inside 10 turns to avoid decay). He may get to scout the western coast the I skipped earlier before coming back to the city for garrison work.

Boldly, whatever it was you were going to calculate, go for it. nod

Oh, and our scout is going to keep exploring even though he's half dead. It would take five turns to heal him up so I'll just hope he doesn't encounter any more animals out there. I'd rather run the risk of getting him killed than having only one unit to move each turn.

I was just trying to get a rough estimate for how fast you would grow, then how long it would take you to build a worker with that awesome double wet corn. I've run out of time this morning, so you just carry on for now without me. neenerneener

I bought Halo 4. It better not suck. twirl