I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Churchill of Portugal: Gallipoli Part II

(November 17th, 2012, 19:29)DaveV Wrote:
(November 17th, 2012, 19:01)spacetyrantxenu Wrote: Also, any takers regarding my previous mechanics question?

I'll tell you how I think it works, and maybe someone else will come along and give you the real story rolleye

After you put hammers into something, the decay timer counts up every turn you're not working on that item. It never resets; going back to work on the original item doesn't change the decay timer.

Example:

You put 20 foodhammers into a settler.
You switch to warriors, building 2 in 8 turns.
You put 30 more foodhammers into the settler.
You build another warrior, taking 4 more turns. During the 2nd, 3rd and 4th turns of that build, you lose a hammer from the settler production. So now you have 47 settler foodhammers in the bank.

This example is for normal speed; the decay time is 6 turns for units at quick speed.

I finally got around to doing my own homework, a more thorough discussion of hammer decay is here. That thread is from 2009, so can anyone confirm the details mentioned in this post, about one turn building a unit ahead of a queued (and expected to experience decay) unit and not experiencing the expected hammer decay? This is more of a curiosity thing at this point, I don't expect to abuse this mechanic by holding a work boat in queue for ages while I build out a death squad of warriors. Even though that might be fun....Warrior Zerg rush, GO! splat

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

Looks like #3 - Hammers would be on 2 PH mines and a GH mine at size 5. That's not bad for hammers. With Sailing and a LH you'd be +5 food at size 3. You could do worse than that for a hammer city. Monument here maybe? As much as I hate to suggest it...

(November 20th, 2012, 07:49)spacetyrantxenu Wrote:
(November 17th, 2012, 19:29)DaveV Wrote:
(November 17th, 2012, 19:01)spacetyrantxenu Wrote: Also, any takers regarding my previous mechanics question?

I'll tell you how I think it works, and maybe someone else will come along and give you the real story rolleye

After you put hammers into something, the decay timer counts up every turn you're not working on that item. It never resets; going back to work on the original item doesn't change the decay timer.

Example:

You put 20 foodhammers into a settler.
You switch to warriors, building 2 in 8 turns.
You put 30 more foodhammers into the settler.
You build another warrior, taking 4 more turns. During the 2nd, 3rd and 4th turns of that build, you lose a hammer from the settler production. So now you have 47 settler foodhammers in the bank.

This example is for normal speed; the decay time is 6 turns for units at quick speed.

I finally got around to doing my own homework, a more thorough discussion of hammer decay is here. That thread is from 2009, so can anyone confirm the details mentioned in this post, about one turn building a unit ahead of a queued (and expected to experience decay) unit and not experiencing the expected hammer decay? This is more of a curiosity thing at this point, I don't expect to abuse this mechanic by holding a work boat in queue for ages while I build out a death squad of warriors. Even though that might be fun....Warrior Zerg rush, GO! splat

It would be a lot easier to run a sandbox sim.

If only I knew someone with time to sandbox civ games while at work....

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

(November 20th, 2012, 14:22)spacetyrantxenu Wrote: If only I knew someone with time to sandbox civ games while at work....

lol Touché... Do you have a sandbox built? I can run sims, but I'm not keen on building your box.

No, I don't have a sandbox. Haven't you been reading this thread? lol It's a regular series of uninformative posts, most of which reveal that I am unsure whether what I'm doing on a given turn is the better course of action, given any possible alternative. Then usually I'll do some half assed mental math to try to come to a conclusion. Finally, at the end of the process I generally make a questionable decision based on intuition rather than any evidence or relevant information I may have inadvertently uncovered. I think that summarizes my methodology fairly accurately.

Unrelated note to self: Bring work laptop home tomorrow and install Civ on it before leaving to see family for the holiday. If I have to download the game from Steam on my dad's shitty DSL connection I'd prefer to instead let the turns go unplayed. banghead

So I don't have to look for it earlier, map stuff for a sandbox:

1944 land tiles
large, tropical, low sea level. cylindrical wrap

Figure out which script this probably is so I can put this together. I do usually have some time to kill at work. shhh

T28 - Aaaaaand the scout moved:

[Image: T28-NorthMap.JPG]

Aaaaaand the worker kept mining. Soon the gems will be mine. Mined. Gah, next turn please!

[Image: T28-F9.JPG]

Civstats showed that Commodore and Serdoa whipped last turn. I believe those are the first whips that have been done in the game. So pencil them both down for BW, whoever is doing that for me. No, no one? shakehead Looks like Scooticator and Nakor/Jester picked up an ancient tech this turn (+6 points each). No other movement other than -2 points each for the two whips. I missed grabbing the score on T25 or T26 so I'm not sure what Plako did to jump to the front. He picked up 8 points between when I played T24 an T27. Probably just an ancient tech and a population growth during those turns. In that time Nakor picked up 10 points...I think he was the first to size 4 so population + some tech...? If I'm going to keep guessing at scores I should probably figure out how many points techs of different eras are worth. Then again, if I am going to do this with any accuracy I'd have to write this stuff down (which I'm not going to) so it's irrelevant. I don't need hard facts, I can just keep guessing blindly.

Speaking of techs...I don't exactly need Pottery this turn, so in my first of probably many dick moves I've swapped research to BW. I'll finish up Pottery when I need it. I expect that will be in 2 turns (finishing worker and the gems mine by then). At that point I'll need Pottery to start laying cottages on the dyes so this won't be much of a delay. Why? Why not? twirl

Oh I have no idea what the map script is yet. Lakes? Fractal? It's a rather snaky bit of land but who knows if it's just a weird continents map or something else. Actually with this being low sea level maybe it's too much water for lakes? I haven't rolled so many maps in my time that I can really guess with only this much explored. Just roll one, I'm not going to be doing crazy (read: good) micro here, just get the land tiles mostly right, I'm not too worried about adjusting for inflation or counting down to the last beaker. That kind of stuff is for the novices and sevens of the world. I'm just trying to find out the best way to generate the most hammers possible the exact moment I discover my first neighbor so I can zerg rush them or my economy into oblivion.*

*This may or may not be an actual game play teaser.

You're really asking for it, but I'll see what I can come up with, if I get time tomorrow. Otherwise you'll have to wait until Monday.