For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Churchill of Portugal: Gallipoli Part II

Ha, the weekly update doesn't release until tomorrow! What, I never said anything about weekly updates you say? Um...I'll get back to you. I just need to talk to whoever was preparing these reports for me.... hammer

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

OK, time for a quick catch up report for turns 48 through 52, children's book style: Big pictures, not much text incoming!

T48 - Buddhism was founded out in the fog somewhere and I found out where my horses were. They're on the rump of the shitty end of this continent. I'd have to settle on the horses to have any food. :facepalm:

[Image: T48-FML-Horses.JPG]

Workers and score:

[Image: T48-BuddhismFounded.JPG]

Demographics:
[Image: T48-F9.JPG]

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

T49 - Warrior is out to fog bust city site #3, otherwise building mines.

[Image: T49-Map.JPG]

[Image: T49-F9.JPG]

T50 - More of the same.

[Image: T50-Map.JPG]

[Image: T50-F9.JPG]

T51 - Granary finished in Two Fish, started on the work boat.

[Image: T51-Map.JPG]

[Image: T51-F9.JPG]

T52 - One Fish resumes the settler build, Sam puts a moving turn down on a future dye cottage.

[Image: T52-Map.JPG]

[Image: T52-F9.JPG]

(whew, spamtastic! crazyeye )

T53 - OK, finally a report with more effort. I had to plan out a bit of micro before making my worker moves, more for next turn than this turn, as this turn was already set. Sam finishes the mine, The Lorax moves to the forest to start chopping next turn.

Next turn, though, Sam needed something to do. He could either join the Lorax on the forest to chop it one turn faster (wasting a worker turn, though), or he could move onto the GFH adjacent to where Red Fish will be settled. Here's the choices:

Plan A - Earlier settler: Workers double up to chop forest, uses less food to build settler. Leaves less overflow for the work boat, which takes longer to finish.

Code:
T53 - 48/100
T54 - 63
T55 - 78 + 20 (chop)
T56 - 113/100 finish settler
T57 - 13/30 WB - settler moves - revolt to slavery
T58 - 19 - found Red Fish
T59 - 25
T60 - 31/30 finish WB
T61 - ???? (warrior?)
T62 - net clams

Plan B - Later settler: The Lorax solo chops the forest, which pretty much is all overflow into a work boat. All the food from One Fish goes into the settler this way instead of into growth. Settle Red Fish one turn later, but get the work boat for clams much sooner:

Code:
T53 - 48/100
T54 - 63
T55 - 78
T56 - 93
T57 - 108/100 (+20 chop) = 128/100 - settler finishes
T58 - 34/30 - finish WB, settler moves - revolt to slavery
T59 - 4/? (warrior?), found Red Fish, WB moves
T60 - ?/? (warrior?), nets clams
T61 - Sam finishes mine/chop, dumps hammers into Red Fish's granary

So Plan B comes out way ahead here. Even though I settle the city one turn later I net the clams two turns sooner and have most of a granary built at EoT61. Under plan A the soonest I could chop the granary is T63, so I like plan B better.

Now that I've typed this up I remember that I have a civics swap to slavery when the settler is moving so that will delay a turn of production. Still, Plan B comes out ahead of Plan A.

So we end up with:

[Image: T53-Map.JPG]

And then I noticed this -- a barb spawned on my horse, on the very end of the peninsula.

[Image: T53-BarbSpawnedOnMyHorse.JPG]

OK. Well hopefully I can handle one barb. I moved my warrior toward the grass hill on my western border so it could spend a few turns fortifying. I had planned to build another warrior after the work boat comes out of One Fish, maybe I should start one in Two Fish just in case.

Someone must be doing something interesting in their capital, a size 5 city beats out my size 6:

[Image: T53-Top5HeyWeAreNumber2.JPG]

Demographics: Well it doesn't look as good as it used to. Probably because people have more cities than I do. :smoke

[Image: T53-F9.JPG]

Oops, already logged out of the game, I meant to grab city screens. Anyway, Two Fish is working both of the mines adjacent to the city tile, plus the northern dyes cottage. One Fish has everything else being worked here.

That is a bad spot for your horses. Tough break there. On the other hand, think of this as motivation to get a galley out and settle on the little island. ITCRs will help take the edge off expansion costs. Next chance you have, do an overview of the area you've scouted with resources on so we can put up a tentative dot map.

T53 (Again) - OK, I played the turn the same as before. I almost screwed up the tile micro but caught the change I needed to make when I read back over the first T53 report. Even though the settler will finish in One Fish in 4 turns whether I work a grass forest or a dyes cottage, I need the additional hammer over the next few turns to get the work boat out immediately after the settler. The dyes cottage hamlet is picked up by Two Fish, which drops the unimproved riverside dyes. The net trade is one additional hammer where I need it for two commerce elsewhere that won't get me Iron Working any faster.

The one good thing about playing this turn twice is that I neglected to post city screens last time. Ta da:

[Image: T53.2-OneFish.JPG]

[Image: T53.2-TwoFish.JPG]

I'm not posting demographics again. It's the same as last time except the crop leader is up one food versus before and rival GNP is +1 overall. But mid turn F9 postings are a relative game anyway. I seriously doubt I'm capturing the numbers at the same time as before, relative to when other players have played their turns. It's an approximate snapshot, just good enough for you lurkers to know how badly I'm doing.

Maps for dotmapping, knock yourself out. I haven't made any definite plans beyond Red Fish so any input will be entertained (before it is derided and rejected). lol

The World Map (well, the only part that matters):
[Image: T53-WorldMap.JPG]

SW:
[Image: T53-MapSW.JPG]

East:
[Image: T53-MapEast.JPG]

North:
[Image: T53-MapNorth.JPG]

I wish I had been able to scout more, I'm sure someone else is gobbling up my goodie huts on this landmass, damn their damnable hide. frown