For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Cheerful Cat Crew Have No Clue (Sury of France)

Ok so I've continued peacefully building, ferrying troops to islands, putting up grocers and courthouses etc.

Selected cities:

Euston Road

I'm growing my capital up slowly, she's pretty full on current infrastructure and is just building a cravel because I desperately need a bigger navy. Look at those awesome trade routes.

Pall Mall

Mr Moai is also almost at full capacity, I need to slot an aqueduct in at some point and I should slot in a library there depedning on whether or not I go for education next

Northumberland

Completes the national epic next turn. Which'll mean I'll get a further great person (90% merchant) in 4 turns.

Marlborough Street

Is becoming a really nice city, I want to get more infrastructure in there but I keep needing units

Fleet Street

A sound military stronghold

Coventry Street

Completes the forbidden palace next turn, will then produce some caravels or wealth.

Why I need the forbidden palace

Ouch

Overview shots

The West

I have a couple more settlers on the way to completely colonise the land

Midwest

South of core

Northern Core

North

Now I've dumped a load of pictures on you time for some thoughts on the game at large. Considering the big picture current facts.

-I have one great scientist with a probable great merchant coming in 4 turns. I still have access to a 2 man GA.
-Plako is the only person I could concievably mount an attack on without Astronomy. However, he has a very solid core, and is at tech parity and has as many cities (production factories) as I do. At best it'd end in a stalemate and probably throw the game to Commodore.
-Therefore I don't want to attack Plako. I'm trading him Pig + Stone for rice in the hope that he wont attack bow street, once he has finished off Merohoc. I have two stone anyway.
-Commodore is winning, but is to far away to attack until I have astronomy.
-I'd like to ally with Serdoa but I haven't met him yet.
- My expansion site of choice would be into Pindooter. They can currently field maces, caravels and catapults.
-They have the GLH, which would be a large economic boom for me
- My strong cities are half a world away from them

- Technology tree

Looking at this I have several options:

-Astronomy->Gunpowder- This will take about 20 turns. By that point I expect pindooter to have access to knights, making conquest difficult.
- Education-> Liberalism (Lib Astronomy)- I'm down philosophy to Commodore but up paper. I have a GSci who could bulb half of education. I could then use my hopefully Great Merchant to cannonball through liberalism. The earlier oxford will have a very positive effect on my techrate, particularly in a game where techs are so damned expensive.

Actually I've decided these are probably the only two options. I could also go to nationalism and make a run at the taj mahal, this also opens up consitution which would be extremely good for my techrate. I think having a strong navy is crucial in my postion though so I think I'd rather liberalise astronomy.

The plan.
-Continue expanding.
- Tech education next using GSci for a bulb. Use Great Merhcant gold to tech Philosophy + liberalism. Liberalise astronomy. If it looks like I'm going to fail to get liberalism I'll use trade mission gold to research astronomy.
- Hopefully use astronomy to attack Pindooter. I'm building knights up for that purpose.

Thanks for the update thumbsup
What civics are you looking at long - term?
How do you think you can/will win?

Why the workshop at the capital?
Is the warrior in the south fogbusting or waiting for a settler?
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

(April 14th, 2013, 07:33)Qgqqqqq Wrote: Thanks for the update thumbsup
What civics are you looking at long - term?
How do you think you can/will win?

Why the workshop at the capital?
Is the warrior in the south fogbusting or waiting for a settler?

Long term civics are probably Rep->Nationhood->Caste-> State Property-> Theocracy???
Nationhood may be replaced with vassalage if I'm not drafting. Depending on when I can slot in Nationalism and Consitution a 2 man GA swithc into Rep and NHood would be nice. State Property is probably the province of the three man GA. If I get the kremlin I could always convert my workshops to farms and use slavery I suppose.

Winning, now theres's the question. Erm, honestly I'm not really sure how to win. I think more land = more power, and absorbing pindooters land looks like the easiest. Note easiest NOT easy. I'd like to take their stuff and see where that lands me. Unfortunately, Plako, Commodore and Serdoa will be happily killing people with armies which dont have to be stuffed on hundreds of smelly boats. They'll also be enjoying their dejungled cores turning into beef growing paradise. In all honesty, I'll probably have to take pindooters land, then immediately declare o someone else from the big four (probably Commodore), and hope I get allies from elsewhere to slow them down. To end the ramble, I think I CAN win but I'm going to need to play flawlessly whilst the other three drop some points. I doubt that'll happen, but I'm quite enjoying building up my empire at the moment anyway smile.

Workshop at capital. I had a completely unworked cottage there earning minimal commerce, some spare worker labour and a need desire to put up infrastructure quickly. I'll probably cottage over it after I've built Oxford.

Fogbusting. I don't have the economy to settle foodless sites currently.

Your borders fogbust the area sufficiently, its 2 tiles from them as well as from a unit.

Hmm interesting, so you think you're behind comparatively?
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

I believe borders only fogbust tiles they can see. Units fogbust a 5x5 square (2 tiles in all directions) plus any tiles they can see.

Edit: hey, party like it's 1999! (posts)

Having looked, I can't find a source for either side...
Edit: well done thumbsup

(April 14th, 2013, 16:23)Qgqqqqq Wrote: Your borders fogbust the area sufficiently, its 2 tiles from them as well as from a unit.

Hmm interesting, so you think you're behind comparatively?

Yeah he's been then for a while, and there have been some border expansions recently. I'd kind of forgotten he was there to be honest. Unfortunately for him, now I remember he earns a place on the scrap heap.

I don't think I'm currently behind (at least to Serdoa and Plako, Commodore has a big crop yield lead), I'm competitive in tech and crop yield, am leading in cropyield and have the largest MFG for most of the game. But I think the land of the others is stronger overall, after cottage development etc, and they require less hammer investment to 'expand' into the lands of others. We both have to build large armies, but I also have to build a large navy to carry my troops. Id imagine somebody who played a much better start could win from my starting position could win. Pyramids or GLH would have been ideal for my start. However, in my current position I think the greater longterm growth potential of the other three's 'safe' (held) land; coupled to their easier longterm expansion prospects; and better economic wonders, will see them through. At least barring intervention from some of the smaller countries or a Serdoa/Commodore war (which given their love of virtual violence isnt wholly unlikely). Even if Serdoa and Commodore start taking chunks of each other, Plako still has a big MoM powered economic boom in his backpocket, and I'm his only remotely powerful neighbour left.

(April 14th, 2013, 17:08)Ceiliazul Wrote: Edit: hey, party like it's 1999! (posts)

Watch out for Y2K :P

My exploring chariot found Serdoan knights fresh from a capture of one of bRICKS cities. I offered the poor guy iron, but I'm afraid it may be to late for him.

Also in case Xenu ever reads this, sorry for turning down dyes (again). I already have dyes from bRICK.
Hmm Xenu is next to bRICK, maybe I should hook up my third iron and gift it to him.

Commodore is in a GA. He has some scary Demographics. Caste+ Pacifism + 1/3 again of my GNP, he's probably getting Lib and I'd imagine taking the Taj.

In more positive news, the forbidden palace is up. Mmmmmmm discount cities.

How's it going?
Playing: PB11
(March 3rd, 2012, 21:07)antisocialmunky Wrote: Civilization Economics: You have 1 Cow. You build some pastures around it to feed your people. The population grows uncontrollably. You enslave everybody and work half of them to death.