I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Serdoa as DeGaulle of Maya

Thanks guys smile I'll probably re-assess tomorrow after the turn rolled and I see what happens. And maybe be less pissed. At least I have nearly played through the HotS-campaign. wink

(March 12th, 2013, 12:30)novice Wrote: A 15 gold loan is worth 3gpt IMO.

Well, I know that you calculate that with the thought that the gold is being worth less later on. But we talk about a total of 10 turns here on a normal speed game, so I really don't see that. He would just get 5 gold bonus imo. And I also doubt that he is thinking in that case like you or Seven wink Probably he does want to attack or he just feels it is not secure enough because I theoretically could declare war and break the gpt-deal. But we talk about 5 gold in the end... he really can't believe I would break our TR for that does he?

(No, don't answer that.)

So Commodore attacked me. First with his Catapult, that was destroyed (thank god, that thing could have been a pita if it survived). And now it gets weird: He attacked 2 more times, with his Axes. Lost the fight against my mace, won the fight against my LB. Yeah, really. I mean he had something like 30% chances to win for both fights, so it was not completely out of the ordinary, but still, even attacking at those odds... guess I can safely assume that there is no catapult yet in range that he can bring in to help.

Anyhow, he also blockaded me. I countered by building a road. Did mean I have to delay my X-Bow by a turn though, but that was inevitable whatever I did, simply because I had no Iron. Instead I now upgraded the 3rd Axe to a Mace. Thats now 3 Maces, at 7.3, 7.0 and 4.8 (I think) defending against his Ele at 8, one axe (c1,s1) at 5 and one axe (CR1+2) at 0.8. He might have a promotion on the damaged axe next turn, I think the glow wouldn't be shown this turn when he only earned it by his attack this turn right? Anyhow, that would bring it at 3.3 I think? Whatever. He also has 1 Chariot there.

So, he has 4 units against my 3, though one badly damaged and hopefully without promo. I think I should be able to hold it till next turn. If I do there will be at least 1, maybe 2 new units there. I wonder if he will sometimes sign peace. He whipped so much this turn that he might instead have decided to go full war on me for that city. If he did, so be it. I'll make sure to give him a fight. Zulu might have fled, Mayas don't flee. We fight ... and die. But honorably!

Btw: It is weird. I have the second half of the turn-timer. In a sequential game I would be able to promote my units before he can attack again. But here I would have to log in next turn before him to do that. I don't consider that a double-move tbh (I normally try to see how it would work in a sequential PBEM and in that I could promote before he can attack), but I am sure there are different interpretations about it. That said, if some lurkers want to chime in with their opinion it would be much appreciated. I haven't decided yet if I'll do it - nor do I know if I am even awake when it happens; it seems Bigger always plays late now when I am already in bed and I don't really fancy the idea of holding my turn till last so that I can do it - but maybe some lurker input could help make my mind up.

To give some more detail: 2 of my 3 Maces can be promoted. One for his first, one for his second promotion. One of them is the 4.8 mace imo, so on him the promotion would make a huge difference, just for the healing effect. I think I should heal in the city 15hp/turn, but obviously gaining the promo-heal on top would make him nearly fully healed, considerably helping my chances to hold the city.

Honestly, I think you should ask him.
Yeah I wouldn't consider an infringement, but it leaves no opening for accusation or confrontation, and ensures that it won't be a contest of who has the time to log in effecting the results of the combat.
Just IMO tho.
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

I have yet to play in one of these pitboss games with turn splits, but my guess is you are expected to wait to promote. There is of course the option to turn on "units auto-promote" and let the AI do it for you - I've never seen that not be considered legitimate.

Yeah I'm not sure either but I think the practice has been not to promote until it's your turn to play.
I have to run.

What is of course kinda funny. Auto-promote is fine, but promoting yourself is not. Well, guess I turn on auto-promote in that case.

I think the rationale is: it's inherently unequal, and there is no way to make it equal. So a good result is one that is somewhat fair and as simple as you can get. Hence: One person plays before the other, and that's that.

If promotions were allowed, the result of a battle would depend on whether you are able to log in before Commodore during the next turn, or not. In my understanding the main purpose of the whole system of "turn-split" is to make such factors irrelevant. So, I think manual promotions shouldn't be allowed.
On the other hand, automatic promotions would work irrespective of who logs in first. Hence, they can be allowed according to this logic.

How's it going?

Oh well, killing some units from BRick right now. Lost a Knight last turn to take Terrapin (I think I did... did I?) and one this turn at 68% odds. But if the defenders I see are all that he has he will lose another 2 cities next turn.

He gave a city he took from space back to him. Thats kinda gamey imo because I could have otherwise taken that city this turn. But that city was so often in revolt that I really don't care, even though I think we agreed on a rule about not gifting cities when attacked. Whatever.

Commodore is coming with a galley (4-move !) at me, I doubt he just wants to "explore". pindicator did send me a trade window with my city next to the galley for iron+horses. So probably he assumes (or knows) that he has Knights on it. I would have assumed Eles. Anyhow, if he attacks that could get... interesting. I only have ~20 Knights at the BRick-front so surely some are sitting around somewhere else, right? smile

Oh, and I finished a wonder... um... Hagia Sophia was it. In anticipation of many new cities that need to be improved. Not sure if it was worth it to give up 2 or 3 Knights for it but whatever.

And lastly: Has anyone an idea where I can find the rules for this game? Because I can't find them and one of my cities got "revolted" and I would like to know which spy-missions we actually accepted or if we have all of them (because RB-mod moves the only 2 really bad ones back to future tech). If so that could get ... upsetting.