For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

RBP8 IT and Tech Issues Thread

(October 31st, 2012, 22:58)BRickAstley Wrote:
(October 31st, 2012, 22:57)Bigger Wrote:
(October 31st, 2012, 19:53)Azza Wrote: Aztecs and Netherlands have scores of 30 points even though they haven't logged in?

so, the answer to this: Krill founded our cities for us before passing the save to sunrise. This was probably the fix to the known contacts bug, we had the same problem as Plako.

on another note, I took some pictures for lurkers and tried to post a message (with 3 pictures) and RB identified me as spam and won't let me post them. How do I fix this? rolf

Currently, at least to me, specifics that are causing people to be marked as spam are unknown. Just edit the post content slightly, and it should work.

I tried this, and it said I had already posted this message (which was a bold faced lie, it wasn't there).

Anyway, I had to close the window, go back to the thread and repost it. I'm not spam this time, apparently smile.

It was probably due to me having a link to a wikipedia article in the original post, in addition to the pictures.
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

When is the turn rolling, after all these resets?
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

(October 31st, 2012, 22:58)BRickAstley Wrote:
(October 31st, 2012, 22:57)Bigger Wrote:
(October 31st, 2012, 19:53)Azza Wrote: Aztecs and Netherlands have scores of 30 points even though they haven't logged in?

so, the answer to this: Krill founded our cities for us before passing the save to sunrise. This was probably the fix to the known contacts bug, we had the same problem as Plako.

on another note, I took some pictures for lurkers and tried to post a message (with 3 pictures) and RB identified me as spam and won't let me post them. How do I fix this? rolf

Currently, at least to me, specifics that are causing people to be marked as spam are unknown. Just edit the post content slightly, and it should work.

Clearly if the hexadecimal representation of the SHA-1 hash of the post's contents ends in f0, it's marked as spam. wink

(October 31st, 2012, 22:58)BRickAstley Wrote: Currently, at least to me, specifics that are causing people to be marked as spam are unknown. Just edit the post content slightly, and it should work.

That was what I saw on like half my posts when i was post restricted in that last WW game
It only came when i tried to put links in too, so maybe it thinks gibberish + links are spam?

(October 31st, 2012, 23:59)pindicator Wrote:
(October 31st, 2012, 22:58)BRickAstley Wrote: Currently, at least to me, specifics that are causing people to be marked as spam are unknown. Just edit the post content slightly, and it should work.

That was what I saw on like half my posts when i was post restricted in that last WW game
It only came when i tried to put links in too, so maybe it thinks gibberish + links are spam?

what are you saying about the content of my posts there Pindicator? crazyeye
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

I'm not surprised it thinks gibberish + links are spam...that's what forum link spam generally is. Usually they do better than pure gibberish though. Still, it should be able to recognize whether the poster is a long-time account or not.

(October 31st, 2012, 23:16)Merovech Wrote: When is the turn rolling, after all these resets?

About 36 hours from now. It will then roll every 24 hours, or close to it. And of course, you can always end turn early hammer

(November 1st, 2012, 00:10)sunrise089 Wrote:
(October 31st, 2012, 23:16)Merovech Wrote: When is the turn rolling, after all these resets?

About 36 hours from now. It will then roll every 24 hours, or close to it. And of course, you can always end turn early hammer

Don't worry, I'm only partially German.
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

Played turn again. I'm going to be out of town this weekend starting tomorrow morning, I will be back home on Sunday. I may not have access to a Civ PC while I'm out. Can we leave the timer at 36 hours through Sunday? Hopefully I won't need to use it. That, or if I can get a volunteer to move a scout for me and press enter that would be better. Any takers?

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

(November 1st, 2012, 06:17)spacetyrantxenu Wrote: Played turn again. I'm going to be out of town this weekend starting tomorrow morning, I will be back home on Sunday. I may not have access to a Civ PC while I'm out. Can we leave the timer at 36 hours through Sunday? Hopefully I won't need to use it. That, or if I can get a volunteer to move a scout for me and press enter that would be better. Any takers?

Given your natural charisma and impressive sexual charms, I'd think you'd have no trouble getting a lurker to swing it. I'm fine if they're spoiled, given just one early turn, and it helps move along these early "hit enter" minutes. whip
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.