I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Old Harry's Game

Turn 24

Jimmy found... Serdoa! And it looks like he did settle where I thought.

This got me thinking about the known techs bonus - if one other Civ knows a tech we need to generate 14 beakers to get a bonus beaker (the bonus is 0.3/4=0.075 on this map so the minimum beakers is 1/0.075=13.333) - if two know it we need 7 beakers and if all three know it we need 5 beakers. Azza and Serdoa started with the wheel so if I can get 14 beakers there should be two bonus beakers. I'm not sure how this will stack with the pre-req bonus on other techs though - which is calculated first? Did you find anything Fintourist?

Barnet is founded, the first city to be settled, I've checked and that means I'm winning. Shall we just call the game now guys?

And Serdoa's capital is called Char. Is he going for an ASCII-based naming system?

Demos

I have not found anything new. I am currently so busy with my studies that I haven't had time to do any research. smile I guess the right way to do it would be to post something unspoilerish to general discussion and see if any of the vets know more about the formula and whether Civfanatics site has it wrong.

Turn 25

LegoHydra's (is Lego still involved? Should I just be calling them Hydra?) borders popped to 28 last turn, meaning they moved their capital 1NE. So I'm the only one who settled in place. Is that a good thing? eek

Jimmy could move east to uncover the gold and silver then carry on NE to meet Hydra, or he could go south to defog the other side of the ocean I'm planning to settle cities 3 and 4 on. Any votes?

Altrincham can grow pretty quickly. I'm planning to get to size 4 before starting the next settler, get fishing next and use the lake to boost research. After that it'll be pottery then polytheism or meditation. I hope I can delay religion that long as all the other players are creative(ish).

Barnet will also grow fast after the pig is pastured next turn, but until a religion lands it's not got many good tiles, so I'll get a worker then a settler here. Maintenance is 3.03. In my sandbox it's 2.63, and this trade route doesn't appear until I make a road to link the city to the river. I could do with a Sandboxing For Dummies course...

Serdoa must have revolted last turn and whipped this turn. I assume he'll settle his second city next turn. I've put all my EPs on him this turn as I think he's the main threat to my plans for the horse/gold cities. Should get graphs in under ten turns.

Demos

Turn 26

More exploring. A city on that island will be good eventually. Should Jimmy go north or south now?

Azza has vision on Barnet, so that warrior becomes more important.

Everyone else got new techs this turn and Hydra settled his second city.
[Image: t26%20Turn%20Analysis.png]

I think this is what everyone has. I've met Azza and Serdoa, so pottery should get a couple of bonus beakers, while fishing will only get one.
[Image: t26%20Who%20has%20tech.png]

I've updated the sandbox (the world is the right size now lol ) - so is Fishing-Pottery-Polytheism the best option?

Demos:

I don't know why yall let lego claim a civ he's not going to have any input in for 2 months. why not get a new player and let him join a new pbem when his internet is up? I think he has said he won't have internet until mid january.
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

I think its because Hydra will be getting busy in January. I thought lego would be having some input in the mean time, but he's not posted here since the game started...

(December 14th, 2012, 02:49)Old Harry Wrote: I think its because Hydra will be getting busy in January. I thought lego would be having some input in the mean time, but he's not posted here since the game started...

i hate to say this, but if hydra isn't able to play in January, this game might be in trouble. or else you'll need a replacement. Someone signing up for a game and then bailing days later doesnt exactly scream reliable.
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

Yeah, its a bit worrying... especially since I haven't screwed up horribly yet! (have I?)

Turn 27

Boring turn, but I will at least have some defence in two turns.

Azza's scout has been replaced by Hydra's. And it looks like his capital is called legoland. Meanwhile Serdoa settled his second city.

Demos

Turns 28 and 29

Apparently writing a report last night would have ruined Christmas, so you get two for the price of one today. First up I didn't complete the warrior in Barnet so I could start another worker, but can finish him in one turn if anyone turns up (how long before the hammers decay in a quick game?)

Meanwhile Altricham grows and completes a warrior, who is going to sit half way to the new city. I've started on a settler which should settle city 3 on t35. Barnet's fast worker recieves a chop and can be whipped next turn.

I also decided to go for Polytheism before pottery - I wasn't going to build any cottages in the three turns it will be delayed and Barnet's borders will pop two turns earlier so I can get at the cow, floodplains and wheat. I'm ahead on score thanks to the pop growth and tech and we can see that Serdoa's second city is called Constantinople.

It looks like Azza researched Archery last turn (gained 6000 soldiers and he doesn't have any tech options that give 4000 solders to go with a warrior) - he's just spotted Barnet empty so is he thinking about an archer rush? I'll keep a close eye on his power. What is good against archers?

Demos t28

t29 - I'm working two lake tiles and the improved fur so that's why I'm winning on GNP. Those fishermen will get whipped away soon, so it's only temporary.