For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Old Harry's Game

I thought Brick meant you were picking last and first in the turn order. Which, tbh, is better than picking first.

But if you're picking first, India is solid, sure.

its a 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4 draft, right?
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

I'm waiting for serdoa to confirm, but I think its 12344321 or 43211234 - my decision. And since there are only four of us and no bans I'll get a decent leader picking last... if it is 43214321 that's even better, maybe I should claim that's what we decided wink

Checking in.
I agree with Bigger that SIP sounds best. I also aprove of an India pick, only slight downside is the distance from animal husbandry of their starting techs. Which means that the slightly stronger sheep tile can't be the first improvement, still FW's generally help speed the early game, which would be good if you want to stay in touch as someone like Mansa.

Yeah, starting with Myst is rubbish - I'll run a sim this evening, to see how quick India can get agri/animal/bronze online compared to a civ with agri/wheelor agri/mining. Then when that's inconclusive I'll just pick India anyway... Does anyone know how many beakers techs are going to cost with a 32*40 planet, four players and prince difficulty?

Thinking about it India does give us a good shot at an early religion in the second city - which would mean I'd value CRE slightly less, which is a shame as I was hoping for Willem.

If I take India (and have got my sandbox set up right) and go:

t3 Hunting
t10 AH + Fast Worker
t13 Sheep improved (netting fin bonus for 3c)
t17 BW, fur camped (for 6c, but one wasted worker turn) Dehli size 3
t19 Agri (but at this point I could go for religion if noone else has...)
t21 chop completes second worker

So then onto wheel->pottery, and getting a settler out...

I like this sim, I think I come out ahead of going Agri->AH, and gets research going nicely straight away. It does end up growing onto unimproved tiles though, so I'm sure it can be tweaked.

Guess I'll go claim India...

Edit: To turn the post into something it's possible to read.

well the big 3 leaders (sury, wilhem, pacal) that are always picked first were picked first, big surprise.

who left for you? mansa and isabella would be my two choices. since you have fast workers I might lean towards isabella smile.

hydra got an amazing combo picking last. EXP works well with india and inca both, I can't believe serdoa and azza both let Pacal fall to him.

I did hope I'd get Willem though. cry

Having played through a sandbox a few times I'm not sure that EXP suits this setup brilliantly - there is a lot of food and not many forests around the capital (don't know about 2nd and 3rd city obviously) meaning workers are mostly going to be made of food. Also we're not going to have all that many cities (if I understood the map setup properly) so cheap granaries are only good and not great...

So yes I like Mansa a lot, but Isabella doesn't appeal so much. Huyana Capac is the other option, using FIN to get me to techs quick and IND and fast workers to build the wonders... Anyone else got a preference? Is it just that my sandbox has stone just outside my borders and so I keep thinking WONDERS!

I have a nasty feeling that Serdoa is going to show the rest of us that FIN isn't all that neenerneener

Just one more question - I'm finding in my play-throughs that I'm ending up with Hunting (the fur is worth a lot of money), Agriculture and Animal Helping as very early techs, is that wise or should I be pushing pottery cottages earlier?

there's a lot of forest on third ring (assuming you settled in place), but regardless - you're going to have workers, forests or no. If you didn't think you'd need workers why would you pick India :P.

looking at your start, I think you'll need all 3 of those techs early. ag and AH are essential - and why not slot in hunting before AH for the pre-req bonus?

When are you slotting in BW?

You only have room for 2 grassland riverside cottages and 1 plains riverside cottage in your capital - that's unfortunate (and also makes isabella more appealing than mansa to me here hehe).

I've just played through with BW first then Hunting -> Agri -> AH, which gets a settler out t27 (with 3 pop, two workers and one warrior) but all the BFC forests are gone. If I go Hunting, Agri, BW, Animal Homeopathy it gives the same outcome with one forest left, which can go into a granary.

You're right, there are more forests out there, and going BW first would be stronger with EXP as the second worker can have two chops in him, but I'm not keen on playing without FIN...

Can I be Pacal too please BRick? mischief