For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Old Harry's Game

Aha, yeah, I think you've got it - to increase things 20% you multiply by 1.2 (6/5), but to take that away again you need to divide by 1.166 (7/6). At least, that makes it work... The formula is now:

Overflow - ( Overflow * Old Prereq / 6 ) + ( Overflow * New Prereq / 5 )

Thanks!

And here's a sandbox for turn 4 to go with that microplan.

I've been looking at the land tiles for the other players:

Serdoa:
Settled 9 land tiles on t0, then borders popped to 18 land tiles.

I think that means he moved 1E to settle, so he's only got 3 forests for the capital but he gets the pig as well as the wheat and sheep. That's going to be a powerful capital. Perhaps my not-scouting-around start was a bit dumb.

Hydra:
Settled 9 land tiles on t0, then borders popped to either 19 or 20 land tiles.

I'd guess he settled in place, so now has 19 tiles but could have moved 1W to have 20 tiles.

Azza:
Settled 9 land tiles on t1, then borders popped to either 19 or 20 land tiles.

I'm not sure about this one, he could have moved 1N or 2W to get 20 tiles, but could have moved W,SW or NW,N to have 19 tiles.

I guess we'll find out more around about t13...

(November 22nd, 2012, 09:38)Old Harry Wrote: Aha, yeah, I think you've got it - to increase things 20% you multiply by 1.2 (6/5), but to take that away again you need to divide by 1.166 (7/6). At least, that makes it work... The formula is now:

Overflow - ( Overflow * Old Prereq / 6 ) + ( Overflow * New Prereq / 5 )

Thanks!

No problem, I think that will work. Maybe not the easiest way to calculate those beakers, but it's creative lol
Feel free to come and correct my thinking in PBEM 45. I believe vets are getting all the lurker attention there so I have to start advertisement campaign in order to get at least some feedback for my nonsense reports...

Turn 5

Right, that's it, Serdoa's winning and we're all doomed. Is he made of magic?

He's got two techs in two turns and a pop increase. Presumably he's mucking about with switching to mask what he's up to. But if he is using magic that's really unfair crazyeye. He'll have gathered about 70 beakers without soldiers going up so it must be fishing and agriculture (unless he managed agriculture->pottery using beaker overflow from not choosing a tech at the beginning? Is that possible? I'll run a sim and check...)
I think Azza got agriculture, while Hydra got either hunting or mining.

Bit more exploring reveals fish - some strong potential city spots over here:

Demos:

Aims and Ambitions
Is it too late to be writing an aims and ambitions post? If it is then I'll go and edit this into the second post and pretend it's always been there.

The Thread
I'm aiming to use this thread to force me to think about this game, make me do some planning and perhaps improve my game. I'm also aiming to get lurkers to do the things I'm bad at like dot-mapping. I'd like it to be mildly funny too, you can judge for yourself how well that's going. I'm going to try for good spelling and punctuation too, but that really is a stretch...

The Game
I'm aiming not to embarrass myself. rolf

Azza put up a decent (doomed) fight against Krill in PB5, but hasn't really shone in any game yet, it's a bit hard to judge what he actually does as he doesn't update his threads much.

LegoHydra are as unknown a quantity as myself.

I'd like to be competetive with both these guys and shhh ideally beat them.

Serdoa is at least an upper-middle if not a lower-top tier player here. He has a decent amount of MP experience and I think we've already established that he is using methods so far advanced as to be indistinguishable from magic. I wonder if he's going to use this game as a chance to try out stuff that he wouldn't normally. I guess that could mean he ends up even further ahead of the rest of us, or screws things up royally.

So that leaves the main hope for the rest of us being a dogpile. We won't be able to co-ordinate anything due to CTON, but at some stage I expect Serdoa to attack someone and if that someone isn't me then that's the time to go after him. Unless I'm not ready. In which case I'll sit back and plan on coming second. thumbsup

I took a look at your sandbox and I couldn't find anything to get the settler out earlier than your time.

Right now there isn't 2nd city site that appears glaringly obvious. What is your general plan for scouting? A counter-clockwise circuit around the south of the capital? You should probably try to reach and defog the eastern pigs region by the time the settler completes.

Are you worried about sending your settler off undefended?

(November 23rd, 2012, 12:54)Cornflakes Wrote: I took a look at your sandbox and I couldn't find anything to get the settler out earlier than your time.

Right now there isn't 2nd city site that appears glaringly obvious. What is your general plan for scouting? A counter-clockwise circuit around the south of the capital? You should probably try to reach and defog the eastern pigs region by the time the settler completes.

Are you worried about sending your settler off undefended?

That's reassuring, thanks!

You've got the scouting plan spot on. I'm hoping to get the scout around to the pig area, I should probably check that'll work, but I think it will. I'll be watching the demos for any warriors getting built, but everyone starts with a scout and barbarians are off so I'm going to risk it shhh

I was hoping someone would point out the obvious second city that I've missed... it must be around here somewhere!

Second cities are supposed to be production heavy to get expansion going while the capital works commerce aren't they? Right now pig city is looking good for that...

Oh, and is "Aims and ambitions" a tautology? I can't decide, but I'm damn sure I'm not writing "aims and objectives".

Turn 6

How does this look for a scouting plan? It gets around to the pig area a bit earlier than I though I should (settler isn't ready until t22, so I'd like the scout to be nearby on t20), so maybe I'll loop around a bit more.

So I follow the first part, revealing some more land just over the water:

Which makes me wonder if this would be a better plan:

I'm sure it'll keep changing...

demos - it looks like Serdoa grew to 2 so that he'd get his EXP bonus for building his first worker. I wonder when he'll get the worker out? 5 h per turn = 8 turns = t13 - so its 3t later, but he's got two pop.

Turn 7

Two possible scouting plans, or I could combine them and arrive at the end a turn later... Any thoughts?

Demos: