For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

Pitboss 11 Organizing Thread

My goodness this thread went wild while I slept.

12341234 picking order seems designed for PBEM, where turn order matters, so that the player with last choice for leader/civ then gets the advantage of being first. For a Pitboss, snake pick is what I'd vote for. I'd also advocate that we allow players to pick civ OR leader freely with their first pick, rather than say that "you pick civ first, leader second" or the reverse. This adds an extra layer of strategy. However, this seems at odds with the "experienced players roll a bunch of combos, skim off the best and the worst, assign randomly" plan - should we vote on which we'd rather have?

As for who's allowed to play: This community is founded on principles of honor and trust. If people feel that their skills are sufficiently not-leet to play in a Greens game, and other members of the site don't jump in to say "dude what are you doing you're going to wreck these newbies' faces," I'm fine with them playing even if they have experience. The more the merrier! Let's not impose arbitrary cutoffs.

teleh, wrt additional options for AI diplo: I'm not following that game (I pretty much just follow PB8 at the moment), but I'm really in favor of simplifying matters as much as possible. I will, however, take a quick look at that game (I assume it's whichever one isn't the teamers AW) and see how those additional diplo options pan out.
Playing: PB11
(March 3rd, 2012, 21:07)antisocialmunky Wrote: Civilization Economics: You have 1 Cow. You build some pastures around it to feed your people. The population grows uncontrollably. You enslave everybody and work half of them to death.

AI diplo is fine
Espionage on with not spies
As long as the map is balanced I ok with any format.
About the Civ/leaders pick I think that any form is ok as logn as somethings are banned (willen, huayna, inca)

I didn't play here, I played wiht some friends although I lost.

Ok, should the OP have a list of all of the players who are "in" so we can expedite the process a little bit?

Maybe I'm being premature, but there seems to be enough interest.

I will dedlurk someone with the understanding that I will NOT have anything to do with playing turns or logging in (I don't have time to pick up a second game). I fall into the green category of skilled but inexperienced, with PB9 as my first and only MP experience, but I will offer what advice I can.

Yup, the OP will get around to it later in the day today neenerneener There's a draft a couple of pages back which needs a couple of updates to it now, and buggered if I know how to get a table to work with MyCode or whatever it is. Hello Courier New!

Agree heartily with most that's been said above, particularly Sisu's comments regarding eligibility. This'll probably be easier to decide for prospective players when the basic idea of the game is up in that first post too.

One thing I am *not* convinced on yet is Espionage on, no spies. I still haven't seen aught but anecdotal evidence that having EPs convert to culture is a bad thing, or broken in a way which would disadvantage any one player. I'd rather build the Great Wall and get culture than useless EPs (damn, my gambit's up!).

play a single player game w/ espionage off, it won't take you long to realize why its broken.
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

Building the Great Wall does not give you EPs. It does, however, give you culture.

(May 4th, 2013, 20:02)Bigger Wrote: play a single player game w/ espionage off, it won't take you long to realize why its broken.

This.

I've done it before, it isn't something I want to play with. I think the fact that the majority seems to agree with this sentiment means putting it in is no issue. It's standard for multiplayer games to have "No Spies/GSpy only tech/GA/settle/etc" IIRC.

(Plus, EPs are not totally useless if Spies are off: A high EP amount can make it hard for opponents to see your Demos and the like, which is an advantage)

Just came to post:

(May 4th, 2013, 19:01)Cornflakes Wrote: I will dedlurk someone with the understanding that I will NOT have anything to do with playing turns or logging in (I don't have time to pick up a second game). I fall into the green category of skilled but inexperienced, with PB9 as my first and only MP experience, but I will offer what advice I can.
As it turns out, exactly this lol[/b]
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

(May 4th, 2013, 20:05)Kuro Wrote:
(May 4th, 2013, 20:02)Bigger Wrote: play a single player game w/ espionage off, it won't take you long to realize why its broken.

This.

I've done it before, it isn't something I want to play with. I think the fact that the majority seems to agree with this sentiment means putting it in is no issue. It's standard for multiplayer games to have "No Spies/GSpy only tech/GA/settle/etc" IIRC.

Hrm, it would be really helpful if someone would just explain the actual issue.
Also I'm not the kind of person who just goes with the majority if it doesn't make sense. It doesn't mean that I won't be thoroughly schooled at some point.

(May 4th, 2013, 20:05)Kuro Wrote: (Plus, EPs are not totally useless if Spies are off: A high EP amount can make it hard for opponents to see your Demos and the like, which is an advantage)

This is exactly why I would prefer not to have EPs to pfaff around with. In a newbs game, seeing demos/graphs is a massive advantage to learning.