I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Pitboss 11 Organizing Thread

Ha! Hi TheHumanHydra, and this following (a bit below) is nothing to do with that specific number of games you've said at all but it's hilariously coincidental.

I'm not completely sure how to make this game accessible to totally green MP players like myself while not being too restrictive and niche-market. The definition of a Green player is fairly open it seems, but the idea is twofold - (altruistic part) allow folks who lurk but otherwise wouldn't play because they think they'd probably be slaughtered easily, to have a chance to participate in a game which is.. mostly about learning and having a good time of it, and (selfish part) I'd like to think the other players in the game are swimming in the same deep ocean.

Also 0 is a nice round number. But.. I guess 3 is pretty round too. The number 3 is merely a suggestion.

What I'm drafting for the top of thread is:
(you guys n gals know what a draft is right whip)
(one more thing Columbo style, can I put a simple html table into a post for interest and settings votes?)

Focus on a fun introduction to PitBoss@RB and multiplayer games
Open to players with 3 or less publicly played PB / PBEM games under their belts (discussion)
Relaxed lurking: Experienced players are encouraged to lurk as they please and provide gameplay, micro, c&d, strategic, and any other advice. Caution is appreciated regarding situationally specific advice, but grey areas are at the advice-giving lurker’s discretion.

Estimated start: June 2013

--
Game settings:

Mods: None, visual interface only allowed (as long as it doesn’t break the PB server)

Map: Random settings determined by mapmaker, no ‘ILOSE button’ starts but no guarantee of perfect balance. If scripted, prefer not one which is available by default in BTS. Let’s say for the sake of the argument, no donut map either cool (discuss?)

Civ Picks:
Unbound leaders
Either sequential known Civ and blind leader choices in randomised 12341234 format as chosen by players, or
Randomly rolled and assigned, normalised (top and bottom combinations removed), or
Randomly rolled, normalised, player choice in random order

AI diplo only with several additional options:
Declare war on X on turn X
Trade embargo on X for X turns
Peace Treaty for X turns (unbreakable)
Non-Aggression Pact for X turns (breakable, no NAP cooldowns allowed)
(floating ideas - others, remove some?)

Espionage off by setting
Technology Trading off by setting
Barbs, Huts and Events – on (input?)

Turn Timer & Gameplay: 24 hours by agreement, 48 hours by setting (adjusted for realtime). Real Life delays are okay but make sure to let someone know as soon as you can if a delay is involved (eg tech thread post, email, PM etc). If things happen in RL which change the ability to regularly play, say so and consider bowing out gracefully 

Turns & War: Simultaneous turns. Gentleman’s understanding of ‘fair play’. If you feel you’re getting an unfair advantage based on turn split vagaries, ask in the (advice thread?).
When a player makes a Declaration of War, they must play after the other player on subsequent turns, until peace is made (ceasefire?).
A third or subsequent player DoWing in the same fray becomes the new last in the turn order, in order of declaration. DoW turn orders to be posted in the (advice thread?). Any confusion or grey areas could rely on experienced player advice direct to warring parties’ spoiler thread, however if that is not available then last player to DoW is now last in the turn order. (this is up for discussion and pretty vague)

Updates: Regular as you like but don’t go all silent-like(?) City-screen and overview updates at turns X, X and X, then with X frequency is recommended. Additional updates are excellent! (discuss?)

I think this was mentioned otherwise, but for reinforcement:
The no espionage button should not be used, as it doubles all cultural values (by which I mean a horses pop is 20 not 10 cultur) which has profound effects on balance.
I would recommend you don't be too picky on green/not green, as remember that doesn't guarantee skill, and pitbosses are very random affairs anyway.

I also have no idea what you mean by leader choosing...
Don't put rules on updates, that's frankly ridiculous.
I would advise halves for war, not stacking.
There are very few good scripts outside of what comes with beyond the sword...no one is going to roll a map with one they are not used to (I don't count full of resources as a delegate script, and doubt you mean mirrored in here).
I would advise big and small, or some sort of islands/pangaea game.
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

The constant recommendation from the experienced players is that "Espionage off by setting" is a bad idea due to the culture conversion; "No active espionage, Great Spies must be settled or used for bulbs/GA" seems far preferable.

Regarding map script, I think B&S provided fun maps in PB5 and PB8, but others may disagree. The sea should matter, though! Bring forth the Sirian Doctrine!

I'm fine with Barbs/Huts/Events on.

teleh, what are your thoughts on "Everyone starts with Scout/Settler"?

I really think sticking with AI diplo is best; NAPs seem to just cause drama.
Playing: PB11
(March 3rd, 2012, 21:07)antisocialmunky Wrote: Civilization Economics: You have 1 Cow. You build some pastures around it to feed your people. The population grows uncontrollably. You enslave everybody and work half of them to death.

No probs, happy to update preferences to espionage if that's an issue. Can anyone link me to an Espy-off issues article though? One huge advantage I see with Espy-off (if I'm not simply TT-esquely mistaken), is that you don't need to worry about assigning EPs just to get graphs, where I think having the graphs always would be great for this game.

Interested parties so far:
teleh (no MP aside from a couple of gamespy lobby)
Sisu (xp?)
Molach (xp?)
Azza (number of games played - eligible?)
Jowy (number of games played - eligible?)
WilliamLP (no MP aside from LAN-based)
retep (1 MP game – was this in a forum format?)
TheHumanHydra (possibly interested, 4 MP games, none complete – eligible?)
Kuro (1 PBEM game, requires dedlurker)

Scout / Settler sounds good to me especially if huts are on. Scout / Warrior / Settler might be even better. Either of these options however might impact ease-of-mapmaking. Perhaps if it's too onerous, we could consider turning huts off and going with the Civ units.

No rules on updates, just recommendations. DoW turn rules are probably best as being simple to remember rather than as fair as can be.

I have no MP experience and only about a month and a half of civ experience, period tongue

My main reason for wanting Scout/Settler start is so nobody gets their capital walked in on at the start of the game through sheer rotten luck.
Playing: PB11
(March 3rd, 2012, 21:07)antisocialmunky Wrote: Civilization Economics: You have 1 Cow. You build some pastures around it to feed your people. The population grows uncontrollably. You enslave everybody and work half of them to death.

Everyone in that list looks eligible except maybe THH.

So Sisu, out of interest what do you think about the (PB8 or PB9 - know I saw it in one of the threads!) scenario where it's AI diplo but with 2 additional options - Declare War on, and Stop Trading with? I tend to think it's an enjoyable addition to AI diplo limitations, without actually having any diplo apart from AI. If you're only allowed to propose certain conditions in this kind of way... maybe?

To clarify on one of the leader options:

Player 1 picks a Civ. Civ Pick is posted publicly.
Player 2 gets to see the Civ pick and then picks a Civ. Also posted publicly. (etc)

After Civs are picked, Player 1 picks a leader. This is not posted or known by any other player. Other players follow the same route, except perhaps need to give a list of 3 leaders in case there's conflict.