Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

[no players] Warsighs of the Newb: An Experiment in Lurking.

(May 23rd, 2013, 09:31)Lewwyn Wrote: Does anyone agree with Kuro about wanting to plant on the ice copper? If he does he only shares the fish, but if he plants 1S of the copper he shares the fish the corn and the deer. I mean that just seems like a no brainer to me. Yeah you're "wasting" a grassland, but the flexibility and power that you gain is just so much more IMO.

Thoughts?

Uh, yeah. Completely agreed.
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

So he intentionally delayed his worker (as EXP-civ!) to research BW, even though he has a wet corn there. He intends to settle on the copper which does not let him share most of the food from the capital, even though he won't really need it and he wrote

"No seafood. I hope all of our north isn't tundra and ice. If so, we probably got a bad RNG break. "

Yeah... bad RNG-break with Joao and that start rolleye I mean I get it that those are inexperienced players, but that hurts.

(May 23rd, 2013, 12:25)Serdoa Wrote: So he intentionally delayed his worker (as EXP-civ!) to research BW, even though he has a wet corn there. He intends to settle on the copper which does not let him share most of the food from the capital, even though he won't really need it and he wrote

"No seafood. I hope all of our north isn't tundra and ice. If so, we probably got a bad RNG break. "

Yeah... bad RNG-break with Joao and that start rolleye I mean I get it that those are inexperienced players, but that hurts.

Sharing food is a non-intuitive concept.
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

I don't care. Kuro is giving me angina. Please make him stop posting and give BaII control.
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

Also, Pindicator, my condolences. That sounds like a horrible way for an exciting time to go sour.

Yeah PB6 Team 4 was not nice for me.

Kuro wouldn't listen and iirc sent settlers wandering for ages for no benefit and jkaen wanted to play as 3 independent people. They never listened to me so I wasn't going to waste my time with them. There's only so many times you can try to be enthusiastic.
"You want to take my city of Troll%ng? Go ahead and try."

[Image: wtfjackie.jpg]

Please everyone just stop asking him questions.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

The city seems weak anyway...so why not make it weaker!
Poor baII frown
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

Poor Kuro. He's thinking about turn 150 when the capital will be size 20 and working every tile. But he has to get there first and he's weakening turns 30 - 150 to uphold this ideal.

In his defense it took me a long time to break out of the "never overlap" mentality. But once you see just how much sharing food with the capital speeds up additional cities, you wonder why you never did it before.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

As someone said, overlapping seems a bit counterintuitive for the uninitiated. I'd tend to mentally block out (at least, in the recent past) resources which already exist in a BFC because well, they already have a home, and they can't be worked by two cities at the same time. But - *notthewaytogo!* - the logic to the contrary is compelling as soon as you see it, especially in MP where you want highly defensible cities for one thing, and want to grow small cities to a cap for another.

This particular case, what can I say. As a maybemaybe reasoning scenario, he doesn't want to spend the turns improving the resource before getting it hooked.. which is a beeeeet valid perhaps? On the other hand asking questions doesn't seem to be elucidating, although BaII seems to be on the ball with it (oopspun). Tough call for you vets to actually say, 'look, your idea is ridiculous' straight out, since it's pretty situationally specific; on the other hand it doesn't change much of anything for any other player if you were to do so.

e: oic, that's half the reasoning. Still if you can grow it, coastal commerce is good...
Quote:This is due to both the time it will take to connect the copper if it is not founded on and the fact the city seems weak anyway.