For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

[no players] Warsighs of the Newb: An Experiment in Lurking.

ok, they should also being doing ag before bw, no? that worker won't be able to do anything but chop out more workers that can't do anything but chop lol
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

(May 15th, 2013, 01:58)Bigger Wrote: ok, they should also being doing ag before bw, no? that worker won't be able to do anything but chop out more workers that can't do anything but chop lol

Well, they're Portugal, so they can chop out workboats...but yeah, wow I didn't even think To look that far back i their plan. Farm the corn first, absolutely. Then BW should come in just in time or wih only a turn or two delay after the corn is farmed to start chopping out workboats, even if they skip hunting. Ideal I think would be Agri-Hunting-BW. I'd have to sim to be sure, but that should work out timewise at least reasonably well.
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

Given the initial thread and comments...I think this can definitely be one of the talkier games. A lot of these greens are flailing, it's good to help out.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

(May 15th, 2013, 00:35)Serdoa Wrote: Was going to comment in Kuros thread but thought that might be too much for being a global lurker. But I think he really has his tile-rankings wrong. Stating that Fish is a better tile than a Grassland Forest Deer, while playing IMP/EXP is hard to not comment on tbh.

I think you have to comment TBH. Greens games are also a learning experience, and if someone is making that sort of mistake on T0 the game generally won't be worth much at all.
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

well I tried. Kuro doesnt seem interested in veteran advice, hehe. I did find it humorous that he thinks Sulla would chop before improving the corn or deer, hehe.

What I want to post:

(May 15th, 2013, 16:07)Kuro Wrote: 3. If I'm whipping, I have no need for hammers, just food and preferrably some commerce. This makes the fish superior to the deer. The point wasn't that I was going to make Mines: But if it was all about working improved tiles, you would. But it's not, it's all about getting the most of your tile yields, which is the whip, which is food with little care for raw production value because I am producing 30H per pop. Commerce to get tech faster, IMO, is better in this instance.

I'd say good luck but I honestly don't think that'll be enough.
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

it doesnt seem like he realizes how frustratingly slow it can be to get a workboat and lighthouse built to get fish up to par

*shrug* Not our problem. Though if someone wants to go and give him a link to PB1 Joao start...

Kuro is ineducable. Moving along.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

Well, ultimately it's up to all of you how to approach a game like this, but I kind of feel the opposite of Commodore and Krill. It's a game for newcomer players, and part of the fun of that is letting the players experiment and learn things for themselves. If there's too much in the way of suggestions for players, then the game can fall very rapidly into a feedback cycle of whoever posts the most -> attracts most lurkers -> gets most suggestions -> starts winning game -> attracts more lurkers, etc. I already think that some of what's been posted in these threads is going a bit far, with a lot of people saying to research this tech or go with a certain build order. Remember, the game is ultimately not about us, it's about them.

Here's a tentative suggestion: let the players ask questions, and certainly go ahead and answer the ones posed, but don't go rushing off to suggest/tell them what they should do. In other words, feedback and responses, but not initiating strategy discussion. For instance, in the Kuro thread, you guys were directly telling him to follow a different tech order and improve different tiles. That's not answering a question, it's giving him a superior opening strategy, and I'm not sure that's fair to the other players. Of course Kuro didn't follow that advice, but it could have been a problem. Again, I know there are differing opinions on this, I'm only requesting that everyone generally let the newcomers play their own game, even if that makes for some silly decisions. That's part of the fun.

And to set the record straight: I absolutely would not chop forests over farming a wet corn. Kuro, you've got 6/0 and 5/1 tiles at the start - use them! smile
Follow Sullla: Website | YouTube | Livestream | Twitter | Discord