For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

[no players] Warsighs of the Newb: An Experiment in Lurking.

(May 21st, 2013, 19:56)Bigger Wrote: any other threads worth reading? i've given up on kuros, reading molachs, suttree, xenus, and azza's atm.

Oh I'm still reading Kuro's for the lols. How can you look away?
“The wind went mute and the trees in the forest stood still. It was time for the last tale.”

(May 22nd, 2013, 00:24)Lewwyn Wrote:
(May 21st, 2013, 19:56)Bigger Wrote: any other threads worth reading? i've given up on kuros, reading molachs, suttree, xenus, and azza's atm.

Oh man, that thread just gives me cold sweats and PB6 flashbacks
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

yeah but now that we've stopped trying to convince him he's wrong its less entertaining, hehe
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

(May 22nd, 2013, 11:54)pindicator Wrote:
(May 22nd, 2013, 00:24)Lewwyn Wrote:

Oh man, that thread just gives me cold sweats and PB6 flashbacks

What exactly happened to Team 4 in PB6 was just before my time (and to be honest, I never read their thread, just Spullarise's and Lewwyn/Luddite/antisocialmunky's thread). All I remember is that Kuro didn't want to play with Jkaen and Jkaen was under the impression that the three players would play the three civs more-or-less seperately. Was there more than that?
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

Probably not. Team 4 just imploded in rather less than spectacular fashion.
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

ah, I didn't realize kuro was involved in pb6
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

Does anyone agree with Kuro about wanting to plant on the ice copper? If he does he only shares the fish, but if he plants 1S of the copper he shares the fish the corn and the deer. I mean that just seems like a no brainer to me. Yeah you're "wasting" a grassland, but the flexibility and power that you gain is just so much more IMO.

Thoughts?
“The wind went mute and the trees in the forest stood still. It was time for the last tale.”

I would have gone Ridiculous H Ridiculo by planting 3rd city on the Tundra Forest Hill. Tsk.

(May 22nd, 2013, 18:51)Kuro Wrote: [Image: Civ4ScreenShot0292_zpse38c6bb0.jpg]
Settling on the copper is literally the only tile possible to settle in the area that doesn't have any food.

Why not settle on the other ice at least? You can still share the fish...

PB6 was such a waste with team 4 early on.  None of this is in the thread because it all happened in chats, but there was a TON of early energy in that team. Especially with how all us "leftovers" were thrown together, there was a real us-against-the-establishment tone early on.  Bobchillingworth, myself, and several other people were all on board to help out even if we weren't turn players. And Kuro and JKaen just pissed that all away.  Kuro by acting like he was listening and then doing whatever the fuck he wanted in game and telling us to deal with it (like moving one of the opening settlers two turns into the fog because he felt like there was something better than wet wheat and floodplains for a start).  And JKaen openly telling everybody that nobody was going to tell him how to play "his" civ.  The team didn't so much implode as we were all told to fuck off by the turnplayers in their own respective ways.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

That sucks so much frown Kuro, not the land.

Settle 889 of the capital and share 3 food resources and 2 lighthouse lakes...whip central and he is playing Joao. It isn't even close.
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18