I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Team Unpronounceable Unicode Symbol: True Grit

Three turns in one day eek

[Image: pb11-t8_01.jpg]

Clams aren't great, but they're something. A city on the desert hill could share some cottages with a plains-hill plant north of those cows and only has one tile of crappy ocean. Alternatively, forget settling the hills and just found on the grassland 1 of the clams; gets cows & clams, two of the floodplains, and is only boatable from one tile. Problem: doesn't share any tiles with the capital, wastes a prime river grass. I'm also worried about that third floodplain, which doesn't seem to have any good nearby resources (unless something's hiding on the fogged forest. Thoughts, Ceil? I'm also planning to move the scout 7 - 47 on the next two turns to start scoping our our north; if it's totally jungle-clogged, though, I'm not going to waste our precious scout's mobility advantage by moving through it, but will rather circle around to the temperate zone to our northish west.

Still haven't found anyone... Commodore must have spread us out.

[Image: pb11-t8_02.jpg]

Big news of the turn is four score increases! retep 2 points (which means he grew), WilliamLP/Oxy/wetbandit 6 each (techs). Going to sort out who got what a little later, just posting this for now.
Playing: PB11
(March 3rd, 2012, 21:07)antisocialmunky Wrote: Civilization Economics: You have 1 Cow. You build some pastures around it to feed your people. The population grows uncontrollably. You enslave everybody and work half of them to death.

Total rival power last turn: 24k
Total rival power now: 31k
Change: 7k

retep's starting techs: Fishing/Mining
WilliamLP's starting techs: Wheel/Mysticism
Oxy's starting techs: Fishing/Agriculture
bandit's starting techs: Agriculture/Hunting

Here's my guess at what's going on:
retep is growing while building a workboat (1k power from growth)
Everyone else has researched Mining (2k power each, 8t tech, they all settled t0) and are probably headed for Bronze Working (explaining the rise in rival average GNP via prereq bonuses).

I spent a fair while scratching my head about how they all researched Hunting before I realized that it was turn 8, not turn 7 lol
(March 3rd, 2012, 21:07)antisocialmunky Wrote: Civilization Economics: You have 1 Cow. You build some pastures around it to feed your people. The population grows uncontrollably. You enslave everybody and work half of them to death.

Are you keeping a spreadsheet of this stuff?

Even if all you do is track how many ancient/classical/etc techs people have, it can help... but it gets tough fast without a spreadsheet.

I haven't been, no. I've found a few example C&D spreadsheets, but they were all terrifyingly complex. I figured I would do it until it became too complicated to work out in my head, then give up entirely tongue

Do you have any suggestions for a spreadsheet layout simple enough for a complete newb to use?

I'll send you my spreadsheet from 25. Nothing automated, but far better than figuring in your head!

(May 18th, 2013, 23:07)Ceiliazul Wrote: I'll send you my spreadsheet from 25. Nothing automated, but far better than figuring in your head!

You're the best dedlurker a girl could ask for* heart

*disclaimer: Sisu is not actually a girl. Sisu is straight but finds Benedict Cumberbatch uncomfortably attractive. Sisu reserves the right to require at least one nice date before putting out. Ask your doctor if Sisu is right for you. If Sisu causes you to experience an erection lasting longer than 4 hours, seek immediate medical help.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTzcreQfk3SEohQkGnjVq...SfpMpCHsww]

lol

btw, should I expect the spreadsheet via PM or email?

Anyway, turn rolled last night, but there's nothing interesting except for what's happened with score and demographics, and I'm still scratching my head over that. Still haven't found any barbs or other teams.

My beloved global lurkers, you have probably read about this elsewhere... but we have contact!

[Image: pb11-t10_02.jpg]

...and it's Byzantium. Goddammit banghead. Bordering a non-newb team, which has three experienced members who can bounce ideas off each other, with one of the most powerful UUs for offensive warfare, is not where I want to be. At least Praetorians are at a sufficiently awkward place on the tech tree that sustained offensive warfare is likely to crash an economy that still wants to be expanding, but Knights are a great spot to be attacking. Sure, if they rush for it too hard, they might be uncompetitive with other teams that stay at peace, but that's no consolation to me! cry

My best hope, after thinking about it for a while, is to stay competitive on tech and fortify the piss out of our border. Pikes at least equal cataphracts in strength, and as they aren't immune to first strikes, longbows might be useful as well. Catapults can soften them up as well. Hopefully I can make the situation like the adage about getting attacked by a bear while walking in the woods with your friend; you don't have to be faster than the bear, you just have to be faster than your friend. If I can make myself a sufficiently unattractive target that they take their army and go attack someone else, I can get past the period of Cataphract dominance to Rifles and be on even footing. They're stronger than me in warfare, especially Medieval, but I'm stronger economically and in the very early game (since I have financial to their charismatic and Mining/Hunting to their Mysticism/Wheel).

I could also try to just rush them... but they're experienced enough not to plant indefensible cities and expect to get away with it (unless teleh was right and they're sufficiently better than everyone to turn this game into a farce). Sustained Ancient Age warfare is just going to remove my shot of winning the game.

Anyway, my whining aside: Where are they? They appeared on my northeastern border. I know they aren't from due east of me. They are almost certainly not south of me or we would have bumped into each other before now. Their scout is facing north, indicating that their most recent move was that way. I don't know enough about that region to say whether the land opens back up to the east. Their scout is wounded, so they won against some sort of animal recently, but they weren't there last turn, so they moved after being attacked, then fortified. That suggests that they saw my borders on the edge of the fog last turn, got attacked, and moved to make contact and then fortify safely in the jungle. Therefore, I think on their last turn they were 44 of their current position (moving 39 to make contact and reach the hill). They're currently in the jungle belt, which tends to have much fewer opportunities for 2 moving a scout than the forest zones, so it seems unlikely (though possible) that they're from due westish of me (since that would mean that they've been deliberately moving laterally through the jungle belt, which seems inefficient). I would put about 70% chance that they're from north of the jungle belt and 30% that they're west of me.

I considered briefly sending my own scout to penetrate the equatorial region and go find them, but since I have no intention of rushing them, I think it benefits me much more to loop around my northern border, through the southern edge of the jungle, and scout out my western border. Who knows? Maybe there'll be someone nearby I can hope Byzantium will attack instead of me... rolleye

Here are demo screenshots from the last two turns.

[Image: pb11-t9_01.jpg]

[Image: pb11-t10_01.jpg]

Ceil sent me his C&D spreadsheet (best. dedlurker. ever!), so hopefully I can use that to sort out the weird results from t9 (two teams discovered techs, which at 9t was probably Agriculture, but Soldier points went up 2k, which could have been a Warrior, but a Warrior build is 1. bad 2. inconsistent with growth patterns unless people are doing some weird tileswapping (but see aforementioned comment on it being terrible)).

I had a dream that Boldly Going Nowhere posted in my spoiler thread to taunt me and share a screenshot of his civ. However, it showed the current research as The Wheel, whereupon I went "Wait, Byzantium starts with The Wheel!" and woke up.

I don't know what's worse: that I'm dreaming about this game or that even in the grip of sleep I remember my opponents' starting techs.

TO THE TURN!

Just discovered the screenshot tag, so I'm using that now. Planned movement from here is 41-77-21. There are two Merovech-eaters near our territory - with any luck the northern one will wander west and my scout can avoid it. Took the screenshot at a wide angle to show off daaaaaa bears and the city sites I'm currently thinking about.

I'm anticipating that BXB will declare war and move into my BFC to map it out. Not much I can do about that.

Demos. This weekend was quite busy, but hopefully I can free up time this afternoon/evening for some serious sandbox-updating, simming, and C&D-spreadsheetery.