I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

[SPOILERS]The Tyrant realizes that once the world burns it gets really boring....

Hannibal is not AGR/ORG. He's a much better FIN/CHA.
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

Oops, well I WAS being hurried to play my PB8 turn. lol thanks for catching the error. I'll fix it when I'm not posting from my phone.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

Chat with Commodore Wrote:9:30:41 AM - Commodore: Dear Mr. Tyrantxenu. We have reviewed your request for blue and must regretfully inform you we cannot provide it at this time. Reason: France and Persia. We have assigned you a Mongolian Brown instead.

9:31:40 AM - Commodore: Burnt Sienna and Canary Yellow are also available upon request.

10:08:25 AM - Xenu: After consulting our marketing, sales, and development teams, particularly relying on the expertise of the tetrachromats in our design devision, we accept your offer of Canary Yellow to be our new official organization color. In discussing the candidates your firm has offered we chose Canary Yellow for several important reasons. Chief among our considerations, and ultimately why we have chosen Canary Yellow for our banner, is its inherent characteristic of intense brightness and its ability to produce the dynamic, exciting screen shots that our customers have long considered hallmarks of our brand.

We will hold a press conference announcing our new branding as soon as your service is able to produce a prototype logo for our use. We may request the logo formerly used by Barbarian Tribes, Inc., as we have absorbed many of their former managers into our organization and believe that their logo has wide brand recognition among our customers. We are excited about the new opportunities and possibilities that Canary Yellow, particularly in combination with Barbarian Flag, will bring to our organization. We expect we will be able to leverage Canary Yellow in exciting, unexpected ways as our organization blazes a trail into the future. We expect to be leaders in our industry and Canary Yellow will be an exciting representation of our position as industry leaders as we expand operations over the next several quarters.

Thank you for your assistance in providing Canary Yellow, and, if possible, Barbarian Flag.

-Xenu

Partner, Boldly, Brick, Xenu

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

A continuation of Contract Negotiations with the Commodore Wrote:10:13:08 AM - Commodore: Mr. Tyrantxenu, unfortunately the extant Barbarian Nation, who are listed as On, require their flag. We encourage you to embrace the Byzantine flag, which, we are told, "Looks like a totally ballin' red PX with the yellow"

10:18:12 AM - Xenu: After careful consideration we feel that we will agree with your explanation and withdraw our request for Barbarian Flag. We understand that to reuse their flag may confuse and/or discriminate against colorblind persons and we cannot accept that kind of liability. Further, we now consider that the actions taken by the Barbarian Nation may sometimes be viewed as predatory, harassing, or annoying, and in all cases their actions and thereby their use of the Barbarian Flag logo may put the organization in a negative light. As a result we find that your suggestion to maintain the use Byzantine Flag to be a good one. Our focus groups have recently reported a similar observation, akin to your "ballin' red PX", and we are therefore expectant that our prospective customers, as well as the current customers of our rival companies, will be very satisfied to see Canary Yellow with Byzantine Flag flying over their cities in the future.

Thank you for your consultation, as always your firm is worth the considerable expense we pay to retain you.

-Xenu

Why are you guys in this game?
“The wind went mute and the trees in the forest stood still. It was time for the last tale.”

Because we're all terrible at Civ. I thought everyone had already noticed that?

I guess another reason is that I'm
completely irrelevant in my other game, as you may have noticed
so having a new game to play where I can collaborate with known fun people felons should be fun.

Lewwyn, your question does surprise me, though. Is it being said in the lurker thread that we're too experienced for this game? Or is it just your own opinion that we shouldn't be (if that's your opinion)? We jokingly laid our our noob credentials in the setup thread (Brick settles on deer, har har har, I lose at every opportunity, mostly badly, and Boldly is only playing his second PBEM game) but I do still think I'm on the low end of players around this site. My middle of the pack performance in PB8 is my best showing yet, probably, and I was never a threat to win that game. I don't think it can be credibly argued any other way (and this time I'm not whining about not having enough tiles to be competitive. I mean my own play in that game wasn't good enough to compete with the guys in the top half of the scoreboard).

It goes down to the type of game I play. I play monarch on SP, I don't like higher difficulties because I don't like the way the AI gets so many bonuses to prop up its generally questionable gameplay. I don't like tech trading games because it isn't a fun part of the game to me. I like to play (and lose) by my own choices, not being forced into a particular game or tech path because it is more profitable than some other path. And along that same line of thought, I don't like building sandboxes and doing the extensive micro planning that top level civ seems to require. Could I do it if I was willing to spend the time? Possibly, but I don't have that kind of time to invest in these games anymore. I spend a long time playing my turns slowly and evaluating my moves with a hand over each chess piece before moving it, and I think about the game state between turns a bit in an effort to come to a good strategy decision before my next play session. But that's about it. I'm not practiced enough in hammer/foodbox counting to do fast math and micro like a lot of the good players around here are, so I play by feel sometimes and often my feeling of what is good turns out to be a poor evaluation. So I'm a casual player, at least in my opinion.

The other thing that I would say is that I have played zero gamespy games against random people, I've only ever played LAN or gamespy games with (or against) Boldly + AIs, other than the three games I've played here at RB. I don't think 3 games makes for a lot of MP experience, no matter how long they took to play out or how detailed the reporting was. It just isn't a wide body of work. Yes, I've been around this site for a few years now reading what better players have done, so I've "read the manual" in that regard. But studying and taking the test are two entirely different things, as we can probably all attest to.

So if anyone thinks I/we are just here for some noobstomping fun, well, yeah, I am looking for fun. But I'm not looking to just get a cheap win -- nothing is a given. So if anyone is handicapping the field and wants to say that team BBX has an experience advantage, feel free, but we don't know what other games a lot of these guys have played. They may be regulars in the gamespy community for all I know, and several of them may well have more than 3 games under their belts. I'd feel safer saying this game is a field of a few known mediocre to below average players (me, Brick, BGN, and Azza making up the known quantities, no offense intended to Azza by lumping him in with my team). One of these guys we're playing against may be Ceilazul and will be disqualified from future greens games. But I'd say some of us (me, for instance) are happy to play in the casual division of players on this site. I don't have the time or inclination to put in the work to improve my game to the point where I can compete with whoever it was Mackoti listed in his top ten list that time.

And if this whole post is a response to nothing that's being said anywhere else, well, at least you guys know why I'm here. Maybe BGN and Brick have different reasons. (OK, well I asked Brick to join and he said sure, why not. So no big motive for him either! lol )

(May 8th, 2013, 09:12)spacetyrantxenu Wrote:
Chat with Commodore Wrote:9:30:41 AM - Commodore: Dear Mr. Tyrantxenu. We have reviewed your request for blue and must regretfully inform you we cannot provide it at this time. Reason: France and Persia. We have assigned you a Mongolian Brown instead.

9:31:40 AM - Commodore: Burnt Sienna and Canary Yellow are also available upon request.

10:08:25 AM - Xenu: After consulting our marketing, sales, and development teams, particularly relying on the expertise of the tetrachromats in our design devision, we accept your offer of Canary Yellow to be our new official organization color. In discussing the candidates your firm has offered we chose Canary Yellow for several important reasons. Chief among our considerations, and ultimately why we have chosen Canary Yellow for our banner, is its inherent characteristic of intense brightness and its ability to produce the dynamic, exciting screen shots that our customers have long considered hallmarks of our brand.

We will hold a press conference announcing our new branding as soon as your service is able to produce a prototype logo for our use. We may request the logo formerly used by Barbarian Tribes, Inc., as we have absorbed many of their former managers into our organization and believe that their logo has wide brand recognition among our customers. We are excited about the new opportunities and possibilities that Canary Yellow, particularly in combination with Barbarian Flag, will bring to our organization. We expect we will be able to leverage Canary Yellow in exciting, unexpected ways as our organization blazes a trail into the future. We expect to be leaders in our industry and Canary Yellow will be an exciting representation of our position as industry leaders as we expand operations over the next several quarters.

Thank you for your assistance in providing Canary Yellow, and, if possible, Barbarian Flag.

-Xenu

What the fuck is going on here?

(May 8th, 2013, 09:27)Lewwyn Wrote: Why are you guys in this game?

Benchmarking greatness.

(May 8th, 2013, 10:07)spacetyrantxenu Wrote: I guess another reason is that I'm
completely irrelevant in my other game, as you may have noticed
so having a new game to play where I can collaborate with known fun people felons should be fun.

No (felony) convictions here.

As for the long post on why Xenu's here playing, eh, we're here to have fun, play civ, and win, same as anyone else. Xenu sells me short, though, I think. I tend to have a bit more time for civ during the workweek, and enjoy chewing up the clock playing civ in the office, so I expect to improve each game. Maybe this time I'll actually get a sandbox going.

Anyway, this is some boring shit to be talking about in a thread where we're just supposed to be assing around, flinging threats and insults everywhere, and having fun. So, how about this: I was looking at the thread name and trying to figure out how Xenu weaseled his way into top billing after having thoroughly embarrassed himself in multiple pitboss games now. And then I noted that Brick's name turned into a verb, which worried me, as you never know what means what when you verb it until you consult the urbandictionary. So, I did that.

1. bricking - When Apple makes your iphone useless by "updating" it
Moreover, said the suit, Apple violated consumers' rights by "bricking" unlocked iPhones with the 1.1.1 update it issued a week and a half ago.

2. bricking - In agreement with the first poster to this term, bricking is commonly used in the electronics industry by software developers when updating a piece of hardware with a software update that renders the hardware useless after the update.

Examples of bricking:
  • I just updated the set top box and I bricked it.
  • I just got my itouch/iphone can't wait to jailbreak it. (a few hours later) "Oh Sh*t I just bricked it!"

3. bricking - 1. V. Rendering a piece of technology nonfunctional, in all practicality making it useless, as in a brick. 2. V. Representing an object or form using LEGO (or generic) bricks.
I'd like to jailbreak my iPhone, but I'm afraid of accidentally bricking it - I can't be without a working iPhone.

My bedroom floor will be covered in LEGO bricks until I finish bricking myself a LEGO model of that wonderful building I saw today.

4. bricking - the process of putting up walls to avoid emotional interaction with others who tend to perturb.
that girl is bricking me because i make her feel uncomfortable
I'm bricking that bitch because i have no interest in absorbing any information shes disclosing
that black guy is bricking me because i just said something explicitly racist.

5. bricking - the placement of mental bricks around an individual with whom the bricker does not want sexual contact.
i just bricked that bitch who was trying to suck my d.
that whore is bricking me because she found out that I dont have any money.

6. bricking - taking a huge dump in someone's house that isn't yours
where's john?
he is fuckin' bricking right now, that bastard can't hold it in

7. Bricking - A sexual act which is the same idea as fisting but using an actually brick. Sanding the corners of the brick creates less friction, lube is optional.
"Honey, can we try Bricking?"
"What's that?"
"Hmm, you're in for a treat"

yikes Oh dear.

(May 8th, 2013, 09:27)Lewwyn Wrote: Why are you guys in this game?

Well I'm here because Xenu begged me to come and ridicule his choices, which I'm not needed for IMHO, and I don't add any value to the team anyways.

Plus I plan to completely abstain from any constructive contributions at all. neenerneener

Boldly, hasn't your mother told you to stay away from UD? It's one of the baaaad places of the internet. I'm going to Brick you IYKWIM