I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

[SPOILERS]The Tyrant realizes that once the world burns it gets really boring....

Fair enough. Not like I've ever done that before myself.

On a COMPLETELY unrelated topic, watch what happens when I play turns for Boldly over the weekend in PBEM 49! lol

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

I'm going to try to play a game tonight to familiarize myself with Byzantium a bit. I haven't played a SP game in ages, all I play is my PB8 turn lately, so maybe that will help with building a plan for how to play this civ. But I still think our general goal of getting to 'phracts as early as we can without crippling our development will be a good idea, as long as our neighbors are close enough to conquer. If not...well just build and build and build and then go kill people.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

A really good example Byzantine game is Mist and Ichabod's play in PBEM 38 until they screwed everything up when they actually got to fighting.
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

Good suggestion, I never went back and read their thread. I ded-lurked commodore in that game, for all the help I was.

Then again maybe it won't be a lot of help --the fighting is where I'm most likely to blow it. So far I'm mostly good at getting invaded repeatedly.

Well, they also kind of beelined Hippodomes first. Which was...an odd choice.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

Theme: events that were all just big misunderstandings

Got a list? popcorn

(May 10th, 2013, 23:22)spacetyrantxenu Wrote: Got a list? popcorn

Everything ever?
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

(May 10th, 2013, 18:30)Merovech Wrote: A really good example Byzantine game is Mist and Ichabod's play in PBEM 38 until they screwed everything up when they actually got to fighting.

They did a good job getting to and whipping out phracts. Everything after... Just woah.

(May 10th, 2013, 22:22)BRickAstley Wrote: Theme: events that were all just big misunderstandings
lol I leave you guys for 10 hours and you're already eliminating the opposition before the game is underway. Best diplo to come, the eliminated/would-be martyr then apologizes. Genius.

In all seriousness, a bit of wtf happened, a dash of schadenfreude, and a heap of let's get this game going so we don't kill it with needless drama. Wow. Anyway, misunderstandings makes a fun enough theme for me. Evolution and the Tea Party should be our capital. smile