Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Welcome to the Kuro Corporation! (Kuro and BaII)

So, some fairly big news this turn!

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0259_zps8dfe0f3c.jpg]

Which is to say, we've met a player, WilliamLP!

Let me just get out my profile for him...

[Image: Blackbeard2_zpsda42f02d.png]

WilliamLP was the saltiest seadog to ever sail the seven seas! A notorious pirate and...uh...pirate, WilliamLP's ship The Plunder could not be more aptly named, as he stole the seas blind! Did you know there used to be eight seas and not seven? Yeah. But then WilliamLP stole the eighth one and hid it somewhere nobody could find it, so we only have seven. When we make our profits, we'd do well not to get them plundered!

(Mehmed of Arabia)

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0260_zpsf7ef64e9.jpg]

Here we are after scouting. Not sure if I should go 1 SE then 1 SW to scout out the Silk area the best or 1 SE 1 W(1 SW looks like a lake) to scout out other city locations better. I'm inclined towards the latter: If WilliamLP's scout got here at the same time as ours, we wouldn't want to settle here first anyway because it would be, as they say, a "Cool Game" plant: Far better to settle Corn/Clams first. Though it should be noted we CAN get a Corn/Clams/Silk city.

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0261_zps64852adb.jpg]

The two choices for this city IMO. The one w/o silks gets more grassland, but the one with Silks get silks, seems to be better defensively positioned once the Silk forest is gone and possibly provides more of a buffer vs. WilliamLP. Something to note is that we block off WilliamLP entirely from the north: I would not be surprised if we had someone to our north to do the same, or it could be a funny random map quirk. Either way, it's good.

With our borders expanded, we can switch to the Plains Hill, which would make the Worker take 8T and BW take 11: I am going to micro it so that the Worker finishes 1T before BW (Via putting a turn or two into a Work Boat while working the Corn), allowing it to move into the forest the turn before BW and chop as soon as it is in and not waste Worker turns/production making a Worker before we have anything for it to do.

It'll also confuse people who are doing C&D work, I imagine. Always a bonus. Ended turn.

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0262_zps57fdc96e.jpg]

Demographics.

Unless I'm counting it wrong I see that our units have to move 5 tiles to get to either city on the Desert or the plains. IMO we should plant on the desert tiles since otherwise it will be wasted. Also if we found on desert we don't need to have Clam's under second border, allowing us to instantly improve the corn and whip out a work boat to instantly connect the clams. Just seems more worthwhile IMO as we don't have to wait for a border pop. Secondly Silk is not connectable until a Calender which is quite a ways away.
http://nijidraws.tumblr.com/ - Crediting the artist who made my profile pic.

(May 17th, 2013, 17:50)BaII Wrote: Unless I'm counting it wrong I see that our units have to move 5 tiles to get to either city on the Desert or the plains. IMO we should plant on the desert tiles since otherwise it will be wasted. Also if we found on desert we don't need to have Clam's under second border, allowing us to instantly improve the corn and whip out a work boat to instantly connect the clams. Just seems more worthwhile IMO as we don't have to wait for a border pop. Secondly Silk is not connectable until a Calender which is quite a ways away.

Yeah, I largely agree with this assessment, but I figured bringing up alternatives would be a good idea.

Going to edit the signs so that the desert city is ours and decide on the name.

Oh, one last screenshot.

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0263_zpse5ca01d4.jpg]

What the border expansion shows us to our north. Wheat is good, but it looks like the only way it might go is up towards the northeast.

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0265_zpsa6040e1e.jpg]

WilliamLP's borders are worryingly close. I wonder if he moved closer or just random map silliness. I'm going to move to the desert hill with the scout next turn to see if there is any room past it. If not, well, we might plain have to rush unless we have lands to the north. I highly recommend we settle towards WilliamLP first.

Next turn, switch to the Worker and Plains Hill. I'll be there to play myself, but hey, a reminder!

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0266_zpsc753b3a2.jpg]

Demographics.

Did you switch the capital build to a work boat?
“The wind went mute and the trees in the forest stood still. It was time for the last tale.”

(May 18th, 2013, 07:30)Lewwyn Wrote: Did you switch the capital build to a work boat?

Yes. I am putting a total of 2T into it because the Worker cannot do anything until BW is done: When I switch to the Plains Hill this turn, the Worker will finish 1T before BW, move into the forest during that turn and begin chopping the same turn BW comes in, allowing 0 turns of Worker waste, making the Work Boat 1-pop whippable and growing the city with some food while giving up nothing.

So you're beelining BW to chop out a WB so that you can get fish netted. But you have wet corn right next to the capital which is 6f compared to the 5f for the WB and you're delaying the worker because you're getting BW before Agr.

Carry on.
“The wind went mute and the trees in the forest stood still. It was time for the last tale.”

(May 18th, 2013, 09:25)Lewwyn Wrote: So you're beelining BW to chop out a WB so that you can get fish netted. But you have wet corn right next to the capital which is 6f compared to the 5f for the WB and you're delaying the worker because you're getting BW before Agr.

Carry on.

I'm beeling BW to chop out a Worker. This has been said before.

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0267_zpsd02867e9.jpg]

This ain't good, it looks like he could plant a chokepoint to completely cut the south off from us easy. 1 NE of the Cows gets a decent city and stops us from going down from the land or sea. I'm going to move my Scout to the NE hill then return to our lands to scout. How does that sound, BaII?

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0268_zps70e45f21.jpg]

Scout at our borders. You can see I switched to a Worker (8T) so it lines up excellently with Bronze Working (9T). Yay!

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0269_zpsd87a64cb.jpg]

Demographics screen. Suttree's score went up by 6 this turn. What does our C&D department have to say?