I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

North Korea Part II- The Final Naming Scheme

Ughhh, I have to rewrite all of it, don't I? rolleye

at least its +1 post count

Alright, civ analysis take 2:

Here are the combinations:

Team Alpha Teleh is Hannibal of Persia
Molach is Kublai Khan of Rome
Team ʥ Sisu is Huayna Capac of Russia
Team 1 Oxphenbutazone is Gandhi of Netherlands
Team 2 BaIIkuro is Joao of Portugal
Team SpaceBrickNowhere is DuGaulle of Byzantium
WilliamLP is Mehmed of Arabia
Azza is Augustus of China
Retep is Asoka of England
Team Suttree is Fredrick of France

Teleh is Hannibal(CHA,FIN) of Persia(Immortal, Apothecary, Agriculture, Hunting)

Hmmm Teleh's most valuable asset here will the FIN trait. Persia is an ok civ. Agri/Hunting are decent starting techs, especially if there is AH food at the capital. CHA is mediocre, but is pretty good for rushing. Immortals are also good for rushing, so Teleh may select to go for some early game hammer. However, Teleh does not seem like the type to rush so I doubt it will happen. Also, rushing tends to be a losing proposition more often than not.

Molach is Kublai Khan(AGG,CRE) of Rome(Praetorian, Forum, Fishing, Mining0

Aggressive Rome...always scary. Forum is bad, Fishing is bad, Mining is good, but aggressive Prats are an early game terror. On the plus side, this seems to be the combination that requires the most skill to use correctly. Molach will have no economic advantages and most of his abilities depreciate in value starting around t100. OTOH, Kublai of Rome is probably the most potent leader/civ for aggressively expanding. CRE locks down borders while AGG Rome is impossible to attack pre-maces. If Molach grabs a lot of land early on while making smart tech choices, he will be able to secure a very good lead.

Sisu is Huayna Capac(FIN,IND) of Russia(Cossack, Research Lab, Hunting, Mining)

Probably the best leader coupled with one of the worst civs. Russia has ok starting techs, but a mediocre late UU and a UB that is only matched by the Mall in terms of uselessness. Huayna Capac is the second of two FIN leaders in a NTT game, which is of course very powerful. FIN is paired with the decent IND trait, minorly buffed with only 2 other IND in the game. Sisu will not have the fastest of starts, but if he does the usual FIN/cottage cheese stuff he'll be in good shape.

BaIIkuro is Joao(EXP,IMP) of Portugal(Carrack, Feitoria , Fishing, Mining)

Restricted civ...kinda boring but whatever. Portugal has ok starting techs depending on if the capital is coastal or not. The Portuguese UU can be great on a map with lots of post astro land. Otherwise, it's pretty much useless. The Feitoria is ok, but way too expensive. It's a good bonus for high hammer coastal cities or when coupled with the GLH. Joao is probably the best straight up expander in the game because he can worker spam at the same rapid pace that he settler spams. Joao is also very easy to crash with, so kuro will have to be careful. Still, a very scary leader if played right.

SpaceBrickNowhere is DuGaulle(CHA,IND) of Byzantium(Cataphract, Hippodrome, Myst, Wheel)

Sooo Stonehenge first anybody? This team is a mortal lock to get the wonder with CHA/IND and myst. Byzantium is a Medieval Terror, but because of this they have a habit of not making it to the Middle ages. The hippodrome is ok, but nothing game breaking. This team will have an excruciatingly slow startt: No starting worker techs, No expansion traits, an early wonder build. We'll have to see if they can turn it around and tech to guilds. If so, they'll be in good shape, but I still don't really like this pairing.

WilliamLP is Mehmed(EXP,ORG) of Arabia(Camel Archer, Madrassa, Myst, Wheel)

I really like Mehemed as a leader. EXP allows for a quick start, while ORG is a good long term economic trait. Overall, a very balanced pairing. Arabia, however, is the worst civ here. The same terrible starting techs as Byzantium, but with a mediocre knight UU instead of an OP one. Madrassa can be good, but it is usually marginalized. His starting worker may have little to build but roads for a while, but I think this combo is workable.

Azza is Augustus(IMP,IND) of China(Cho-Ko-Nu, Pavilion, Mining, Agriculture)

China has the best starting techs of any civ in the game. This affords Azza a lot of flexibility, he can go either AH or BW first depending on his surroundings. The Cho-Ko-Nu can do some cool stuff in naval combat or against MGs, so they may seem some action. The pavilion is not the most useful UB, but considering its already a building you want to build almost everywhere, it's not bad. Azza will have the fastest start of the IND leaders, so if he really wants a classical wonder, he has a good shot at it. IMP is fairly average here, but I still like this combo.

Retep is Asoka(ORG,SPI) of England(Redcoat, Stock Exchange, Fishing, Mining)

Asoka of England is another slow starting combination. England has a decent, but late UU and UB. Fishing/Mining are ok starting techs, but not amazing. Both ORG and SPI are pretty useless in the extreme early game. Still, this combo has potential. If I were Retep, I would probably beeline Code of Laws pretty hard here. Cheap courthouses, Confuciansim and Caste System makes the tech very powerful for Asoka. Later, Retep can abuse SPI to draft a lot of Redcoats with ORG to cut down costs. If Retep can overcome his slow start, he will be in pretty good shape.

Suttree is Fredrick(ORG,PHI) of France(Musketeer, Salon, Agriculture, The Wheel)

I really like France as a civ. Starting techs are great, early pottery is very nice. Musketeers are incerdibly versatile as a UU. Defending with them is almost like having early railroads as they can be transferred between different fronts very easily. Musketeer-Knight stacks are very good for late middle age warfare, they can bounce around from hill to hill, forking cities while a slower siege stack takes out well-defended cities. Oh, and they're draftable. The salon is often regarded as uselss, but while in Representation, it is actually pretty good. Frederick is an ok leader, but nothing special.

Oxphenbutazone is Gandhi(SPI,PHI) of Netherlands(East Indiaman, Dike, Fishing, Agriculture)

My combination and probably the one I like the most jive. The Netherlands are an interesting case, because both their UU and their UB are extremely good, but they also come very late, to the point where the game is already decided/over by then. It really depends on the map to see if dikes will be relevant, but with large and 10 players, it's not crazy to think that I will use them. The East Indiaman rules the seas until chemistry, and makes a post astro boating attack very appealing. A Fishing/Agriculture start, which is good, but not great. Ghandi is a very good leader, with strong synergy between the SPI and PHI traits. An early CoL is very much called for here, hopefully I can beat Retep who will probably make a similar play for the tech. If there is stone anywhere close to me, the Pyramids would be nice to have with this pairing. My very general plan would be to go worker techs->Code of Laws->Other stuff-> GS enhanced Lib path->Astronomy->Naval Blitzkrieg with East Indiaman hammer Sounds like fun.

(May 7th, 2013, 23:07)Oxyphenbutazone Wrote:
(May 7th, 2013, 22:36)Merovech Wrote:
(May 7th, 2013, 21:20)Commodore Wrote: There are some of your ilk around, Mero. Mardoc, for one. My wife's bachelor's is in Chemistry, I was my Physics degree around as more fundamental.

Always enjoyed Upwords more, personally. tongue

Heh, nice. What kind of physics? I always found quantum and particle physics to be very interesting, but classical physics to be very boring (not that it has any less merit, of course). I actually took a class once with Krzysztof Sliwa, the member of Fermilab who first found proof of the top quark.

My brother is studying physics at Harvard next year so some of this actually makes sense to me. Perhaps a physics naming scheme? A little nerdy, but so is civ 4 tongue

I think a physics naming scheme would be grand.
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

Give me some ideas for city names that sound kind of cool and I'll do it twirl

Subatomic particles won't really work, maybe I should just go with my original idea for a naming scheme: Cities from Holland smug

Well, that would also work. Why don't you like elementary particles? Not enough?
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

Yeah, that was what I was thinking. I think I'll go with European battles of the 18th and 19th centuries just because that's the time period that interests me the most and we seems to have an abundance of European civs in this game(every colonial power except for Spain). Only problem is that "the Bulge" sounds more like a parks and rec reference than a European battle reference and that is the most major battle that is associated with the Netherlands...

Here's your start, anything might change, etc, etc.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0122.JPG]
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

Thanks Commodore

Ok, just some quick thoughts.

-This is a very good capital, lots of green, forests and rivers
-Scout goes SE-S to see if settling on the PH is worth it. Fog gazing suggests there are deserts and plains and it would give up the ok plains sheep tile, so it probably won't be
- Assuming SIP, tentative tech path is Mining->BW->The Wheel->Pottery->AH->Writing->Mysticism->Mediatation->Priesthood->Code of Laws
-worker first obviously, I'll put together a micro plan later, but right now I'm thinking worker 1 will farm rice and FP while cap grows to size 2. Then chop out another worker and grow to size 3. Then chop out a settler, probably around t35
-Early pottery+early academy should give me a great early game edge

Any lurker comments? It feels like I'm posting into a void here lol

You've got Agriculture!
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.