I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] WillPlunder as Mehmed of Arabia: Noobs meet world

Scout move, and:

[Image: 4-scout.JPG]

We have our first contact:
Team 2 BaIIkuro is Joao of Portugal (EXP / IMP / Fishing / Mining / Carrack).

I don't know much about the players, other than that they have some PB experience and know what they're doing. The traits and techs means they're going to start significantly faster than us - if we had Mining and Fishing with this same start we would be dramatically better, since those are the first two things we want anyway! I don't know if Carracks are going to come into play in this game, and if they are it's probably not towards us.smile All I can say is I'm glad they're not Aggressive Rome.

There's some decent land up there, wet corn, silks, and a river site, at least. I'm not sure if we should try to contest for it but it won't be one of our first couple of city sites, I don't think.

This thread is missing some lurker input.
While back, but no, jungle doesn't appear naturally in the BFC, and floodplains do.
What are your plans regarding the early contact?
Are you going to try the peaceful solution of co existence or what?
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

I think the wet corn is theirs, i don't see many good city placements near the mountain range (shall we name them?).

I don't think the carracks or their special building will matter in the near future. Also seeing the mediocre land around the mountains, I don't think we have any reason for aggression somewhere soon.
That being said, I will none the less feel much safer when we have found and hooked up some copper.

I don't know how it works in PB, do they see our units move? maybe by going south again we might confuse them in where we came from. On the other hand, we could also move north and try to find their capital. When we discover writing & sailing we'll have a foreign trade route.

They will not see your units move - the SP options equivalent is if you stay on 24/7 and watch they area.
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

(May 17th, 2013, 06:18)Qgqqqqq Wrote: This thread is missing some lurker input.
While back, but no, jungle doesn't appear naturally in the BFC, and floodplains do.
What are your plans regarding the early contact?
Are you going to try the peaceful solution of co existence or what?

About early contact. I think the no TT and AI diplo makes diplomacy somewhat limited. Considering our slow start, I don't see how early aggression could be advantageous for us.
At least my vote would be on peaceful co-existence. But of course in any competitive (Civ) game that is relative. If they give us the possibility for a massive crippling backstab I will surely consider this (think about warriors defending border cities in the age of maces). Especially in an AI-diplomacy where we can't promise anything anyway cool.

I'm actually the opposite, I kind of want to procrastinate hooking up copper for a while to build a lot of cheap warriors for scouting and HR. We will have the power graph for warning signs but when you're EXP + IMP I don't think your best play is to wage war way down south when you haven't expanded and grown a few cities first.

I'm pretty glad not to have to deal with diplo emails, border agreements, and negotiating NAPs and such.

For plans regarding them, I think we need to know the geography more. Is the thing to the west a peninsula, a bridge, or does it close around over a sea? What do east and south look like? Ideally we're on a continent closed off everywhere but north, with the peaks as a sort of natural gateway. Or we could be sandwiched in the middle of a few other players.

We might procrastinate a bit with hooking up the copper, but that doesn't mean I won't feel safer without it :P
I guess we'll also have barbarians to worry about, at that time I rather have an axeman to deal with them than a warrior. hammer

Can someone tell me how to find the dimensions of a large map? Why is it so hard to find with a Google search? (The best I could find was an authoritative post by Sirian where he gives the dimensions of every map size except large!)

They're different for different scripts, but can usually be discerned by looking at number of land tiles and the circumnav flying camera cheats.

(Maybe) I'll count when updating the sandbox this evening
I guess it'll be at least comparable, unless it's a Terra map...